Author Topic: Wilmar (the) Tamper - Official Work Thread  (Read 34163 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wilmar (the) Tamper - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2020, 09:39:23 PM »
What happens with a lot of these containers is they float just at or slightly below the surface before they finally sink.  Having retired from a commercial and military marine navigation company I can attest that these don't show up on radar and ships striking them is a common occurrence, not an exception.  Let's hope Wilmar stays dry and gets to enjoy her stay in Panama.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2020, 12:03:08 AM »
Young MN sailor sailing Solo Around the World may have hit a container few years back.
No trace ever found.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
With the ship being a freezer/container ship I can understand some of the stops now, probably picking up Aussie and N.Z. lamb for U.S. and S. American markets and N.Z. lobster (very good but very expensive - Maine is better !!!)  Also, its just about time for berries and fruit from down under.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »
Here's the next chapter in Wilmar's World Tour. This evening Wilmar was dropped off from "Seatrade Orange" for a few days of shore leave at the Port of Manzanillo in Panama after making a daylight transit of the Panama Canal today. Next Wednesday, Wilmar will embark aboard the good ship "Maersk Gateshead" for the final leg of his voyage. He's scheduled to arrive in the Port of New York, at the APM Terminal in Elizabeth, New Jersey, on December 30.

This was a change of his travel plans. He was originally supposed to sail from Manzanillo to Kingston, Jamaica and another few days on the beach before heading for New York. Discharge from the ship may be delayed a few days by the New Year's holiday, but he should be on his way to Maine sometime in the first week of 2021.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
Are welcoming festivities planned? Not another week of Moxie-fueled drunken revelry I hope......

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2020, 06:33:46 AM »
Here's the next chapter in Wilmar's World Tour.

He's scheduled to arrive in the Port of New York, at the APM Terminal in Elizabeth, New Jersey, on December 30.

I know of several “watering holes” in the Elizabethport area that Wilmar would do well to avoid if he wishes to maintain his innocence!

Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »
Since you asked John,
Are welcoming festivities planned? Not another week of Moxie-fueled drunken revelry I hope......

Both Wayne and I have discussed being present when Wilmar arrives on site.  As far as Moxie-fueled revelry, if those who wish it sound off,  I can bring some of the "old time" hard core Moxie with me for those whom require the hard stuff in their drinks.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
Sadly, in the interest of maintaining my personal health and safety, and in deference to my wife's sanity, I have decided to forego the pleasure of seeing Wilmar arrrive at Sheepscot. I know it will still be there in April or August or whenever I finally venture away from Lancaster, Pa.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
I'm sure there will be photos, when Wilmar arrives. Will the Lincoln County News be there?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »
Jeff,
The LCN has already done a story. I plan to let her know when Wilmer should arrive. The excitement continues to build in Sheepscot.
Dave

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »
It should be a big day at the museum, when Wilmar arrives.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2020, 06:40:19 AM »
Here's the next chapter in Wilmar's World Tour.

He's scheduled to arrive in the Port of New York, at the APM Terminal in Elizabeth, New Jersey, on December 30.

I know of several “watering holes” in the Elizabethport area that Wilmar would do well to avoid if wishes to maintain his innocence!

Keith

I know other watering holes around there as well especially in Bayonne. If Wilmar needs to see the ladies after all that time at sea, it can get lonely out there!
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2020, 08:11:41 AM »
After a few days of shore leave in sunny Panama (81 degrees there yesterday), Wilmar was loaded aboard "Maersk Gateshead" last evening. The ship left port at 2:08 a.m. today. It's now on its way to Newark, NJ, to the APM Terminal, the largest container terminal in the Port of New York. The ship is expected to arrive there on Dec. 30. This last leg of the voyage will take Wilmar from the equatorial world where he's always lived to the colder world where we are. Stay tuned for the further adventures of Wilmar, including the dramatic arrival in the USA and his overland trip from Newark back to the rails at Sheepscot! Merry Christmas, everyone!

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2020, 09:37:04 AM »
Thanks for keeping us posted. Merry Christmas;

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
Cptn. J.B. Smith reports:

My Nephew-In-Law who works as mate on a tug in NY Harbor verifies today’s arrival of M/V Maersk Gateshead presumably with Wilmar aboard.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum