Author Topic: Switch lanterns on high mast switches  (Read 7647 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Switch lanterns on high mast switches
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
We have 4 Dressel switch lamps -

* Two are restored and are all set.
* One needs cleaning, a new wick and testing.
* One needs a fuel font/pot and burner. A Dressel or Handlan font will fit, the burner has to match the font. It also has a homemade bail that's not as strong as the factory Dressel bail.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »
So if I'm reading this discussion right, we need to two repaired and acquire 4 more to complete what we need for the entire RR.

Correct?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 08:18:23 PM »
(8) total to cover the RR mainline (as it exists today), but with no spares.  Ideally one should have 1-2 spares.  And of course when we make our next expansion, (had to tease that),  There will be additional requirements. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:21:36 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Moxie Bootlegger

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 09:00:50 PM »
Keep in mind -

Some of the switch stands do not have the lamp mount finger so there would be some installation work.  Not sure how many of the mount fingers are missing, there are a couple spares in Alice's room but they may not be the Maine Central type.  Steve L. has the measurements for the correct sized pocket on the underside of the lamp maybe he will post the info. 

BTW - one of the current switch lamps has a slightly smaller mount pocket, it fits on the MEC tip but doesn't drop down as far.

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 09:35:58 PM »
The pocket size that we measured was 1 and 3/8 inch long by 1 inch wide. We did not measure the depth.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 10:18:42 PM »
Depth should be 3"

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »
Need to find member who lives close to Chicopee, MA.  Urgent need for member to pick up switch lantern for restoration.  Member will be forwarded funds for purchase and sundries.

Please P. M. John Kokas ASAP
Moxie Bootlegger

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 03:37:20 PM »
I'm in Granby, CT now, which is pretty close to Chicopee. PM sent.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Roger, bail is taken care of.  Now for the special news - As a result of good fortune and coincidence I have obtained a "possible" original WW&F Peter Grey & Son (Boston) switch lantern.  I say possible as I cannot confirm until the unit is in my physical possession and I can tear it down for inspection and mfr. marks.  Even if not WW&F origin, I can confirm by its construction to be a bonafide Grey & Son unit.

If I can confirm a WW&F identity, this unit will be only the 2nd lantern known to exist at this time.  The other lantern is in the hands of a private collector.
Moxie Bootlegger

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
Well, the good news and the bad.  First the bad news,  FedEx delivered to me the Peter Grey & Son switch lantern and I can confirm it is not WW&F, it is Rutland RR.  The good news is that it is 95%+ complete and in excellent condition minus the grit and grime.  As this particular manufacturer was not a major player in the RR lantern market outside of New England finding one in good condition and complete is very rare.  As I start the restoration/repair in my home shop after Turkey Day, I will post pics of work in progress.  Hopefully, I will get it done so I can bring it up to Sheepscot about the same time Wilmar gets there.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:11:30 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Moxie Bootlegger

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 06:15:09 PM »
Thanks for the update, John. 
Nothing wrong with having a Rutland switch lamp, Rutland stuff has solid value in New England.  The first switch lamp tested at the WW&F was a Peter Gray / Rutland - set on the original WW&F switch at the water tank.  That was 22 years ago and we waited until it got dark to see how far the red & green aspects could be seen down the track.   

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
Stewart,  I'm really excited about this find even if it's a Rutland.  Knowing that this was the company the WW&F used makes it a little special,  combine that with it's rarity to begin with and now we have something to crow about.  I did a general disassembly this PM and was very surprised by the excellent (but filthy) condition of the interior.  The fuel font is marked Grey & Son but by it's construction it is obvious that they bought fonts from Arlington.  And of course this would have been before the Dressel takeover of Arlington.  Luckily, the only thing that is technically missing is the chimney.  Fortunately, I procured some reproduction chimneys in the Arlington style and one has been fitted on the burner already.  I am excited at the thought of this piece sitting on the switch mast in Sheepscot lit for all to admire.

Now if anyone can find me a tinplate reverse lettering press, I will be more than happy to make new WW&F tags for the lanterns as they come out from restoration.
Moxie Bootlegger

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
Is this what you are looking for John?

https://www.durable-tech.com/marking/numbering-lettering-presses

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
Kinda,  what I mean by a reverse stamping, instead of striking the letter into the metal strip, this would be bringing the strip onto a letter "positive" where you end up with a raised letter coming out from the surface of the strip.

These used to be a simple arm press with a platen where the letter/number dies would be inserted, then a tinplate strip would be placed over the die index and crimp.  The imprinted strip would be then attached to the body of a metal object via open tip soldering.  If I can find a picture, I'll add it.
Moxie Bootlegger