Author Topic: Astronomer(s) Needed  (Read 4057 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Astronomer(s) Needed
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
Hi Everyone,

If you, or someone you know, has any experience/interest in Astronomy, and would like to help us at a Campfire/Stargazing train on Saturday, 9/19, please message me or email ed.lecuyer@wwfry.org.

Thanks,

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Astronomer(s) Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 08:56:40 PM »
That would be fun event and I would love to do it AFTER this virus is over.  Part of what I used to teach in Earth Science.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
That's a GREAT idea for future event planning.  TOM would be ideal!!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:14:01 AM »
Bowdoin College offers astronomy. Maybe you could see if a professor would be interested.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »
You might be able to get some help from one of these folks.  If they are still active, they probably would be more than willing to help set up a star party.  Too bad there isn't more time.

https://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-clubs-state.php?State=ME

Pete Leach

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
Interesting topic. A quick look a the Bortle's map shows Cross Road and 218 with a Class 3. Not bad from a light pollution standpoint. (Class 1 is best and 8 is terrible). Should offer reasonable Dark Skies for folks to observe.

This could be a good event but may need more than a few days to put together. With COVID, you may need some type of Electronically Assisted Astronomy, or EAA. Basically a camera on the telescope that transfers the image to a computer screen allowing folks to view through the scope without touching it.  This would allow folks to maintain social distancing.

Too bad I live in Texas or I would love to take part. Reaching out to local astronomy clubs or colleges may be a good choice if there are no local members with the gear needed.

Pete Leach

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Will the train still run with cloudy or rainy conditions?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »
This event had been branded as "self guided stargazing". Passengers are encouraged to bring binoculars, etc. There is no weather/conditions-cancellation clause.

We thought it would be nice if we had a guide present, not to provide equipment, etc., but simply to be available to answer simple questions such as "what's that star?", and "why is that 'blinky star' moving and look like it is getting closer?"

If successful (and going by pre-sales, I suspect it will be) we will certainly consider expanding this offering in 2021.

That is kind of the point of what we have been trying to offer this year - something different and experiment to see what we might be able to learn during these most-unusual circumstances.

That all said, one of our regular volunteers, Capt. J.B. Smith has agreed to host the event.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 06:38:05 PM »
Excellent.  Go with the off-the-cuff version that's developing right now with JB.

I think we're in agreement that a more planned event next year could be wildly popular.  Just think of trainloads of folks with binocs and telescopes going to Alna Center or TOM, sitting or lying on the ground, with an experienced guide to lead them!

I think it would be very popular...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:24:52 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 08:55:29 PM »
We will need to do some research and planning but there will be at least two opportunities to have Meteor shower trains, at least one blue moon special, then there will be a couple of planetary alignments, and I believe one lunar eclipse. (but I'm not sure it will be able to be viewed in Maine)  I'm sure if you can find a connection with a local observatory group you'll have all the info you will need.  If not, there is sources of info via the Maine Maritime Academy.
Moxie Bootlegger