Author Topic: Fall Work Weekend 2020  (Read 7124 times)

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Work Weekend 2020
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »
Absolutely the right decision!!  The lessons (still evolving) from the Millinocket superspreader event were a huge wake up call to Maine.  Even with the best state gov responses of anywhere (Mills, Lambrew and Shah), this still slipped through thanks in part to an ignorant pastor.  It is still making national news, and he still comes off as a jerk.  The last thing we need is to become bad national news as well.  Good call!

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »
I just now took the time to read Dave's comment about the 2021 Railroad Show In West Springfield, MA. Since I live next door in Holyoke, MA I feel I should comment that there is very little activity occurring at the "Big E" grounds at this time and likely in the relatively near future. Had the Museum not chosen to curtail attendance at the Spring Train Show, I suspect it is quite likely there will not be a show this year anyway. Virtually all events have been cancelled save for a few weeks of "Big E" foods being offered outside, no contact allowed, reservation only for those folks who attend "The Big E" and enjoy certain foods sold by outside vendors at the Fair.

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »
It’s sad that is out of staters can’t see the progress of a work weekend. I understand got to be safe. Victorian Christmas that was more of a local thing. It’s something to look forward to. I know North Pole trains here in Florida are operating. Are you doing a scaled back one? I would but virtual tickets for that, why because it’s Hope. Good luck up there.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
Ever since the one big outbreak we had in Millinocket, there have been several smaller ones, and the majority linked back to Millinocket. We had a quiet summer as far as the virus was concerned, but in the last month and a half we have had an explosion of cases. The sniffle season is here, and will help spread this disease. It is going to be a tough winter.. And I have a feeling these cancellations are just the start.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »
A few answers:
- The 2021 Amherst RR Society RR Hobby Show in Springfield IS currently scheduled to occur - but greatly scaled back. ARS has been working with the Big E and the show vendors to create a safe (but smaller) show. Prior vendors who choose not to take part in the 2021 show are not being penalized in any way - and will not lose their spot in the 2022 show.

- Several months ago, we decided (and announced) that we would go "all or nothing" for Victorian Christmas. It is apparent that VC can not occur in a "safe" manner, so it is now cancelled. Our partners at Maine Narrow Gauge are running a Christmas-themed train - but not the full "Polar Express" production.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 01:11:31 PM »
I understand. The all ordinaries nothing.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
Sad to say but I fully agree with Mike. Same outhere, lot of people have been careless over the past few months and now everybody is going to foot the bill.  The  French govenrment had just  tigtened up  a lot their guideline about the COVID 19. Sure we are going thru a tough time during Winter as regards health, economy and I dread, as our former Prime Minister, a social crisis. I'm sure the WW&F will soldier on and overcome that crisis eventually. By then stay safe and healthy.