Author Topic: MP8 Specials and 2020 Annual Picnic - The Grand Re-Opening  (Read 4034 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
MP8 Specials and 2020 Annual Picnic - The Grand Re-Opening
« on: August 10, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
Lots can and should be said about this weekend's successful re-opening. A big thank you to everyone who made it happen.

Here's an article on the Friday night special "first run" to Mile Post 8:
https://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/you-guys-rode-history-tonight-wwfry-reopens-landmark-trip/137183
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: MP8 Specials and 2020 Annual Picnic - The Grand Re-Opening
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »
A few more details:
  • On Friday, we carried 36 Passengers to Mile Post 8. On Saturday, the train sold out with 40 Passengers. All tickets were $50 each.
  • 32 "virtual" tickets were sold for the MP8 excursion. Each "virtual passenger" is getting an exclusive video of the MP8 trips, along with highlights of the weekend.
  • The big hit on the MP 8 trips was the "Pie and Runbys" at Alna Center. Non-railfans enjoyed the pie and got to see the train in action. Railfans were doubly-pleased.
  • All three Saturday "Annual Picnic" trips were sold out at 40 passengers each.
  • SeaLyon Farm set up a farmstand at ToM for the Annual Picnic trains. Business was brisk and everyone enjoyed it.
  • There was an unexpected equipment swap 45 minutes before the first Saturday departure (11am.) SR&RL Combine 14's coupler height no longer matches #9's pilot. ML&M's caboose #554 was rapidly cleaned and pressed into service, creating a rather funky looking, but popular, consist. With quick work by all involved, the train was still ready to go 15 minutes before departure.
  • Online ticket revenue (including the MP8 specials, virtual tickets, and food) topped $6400. I was told that gift shop sales were over $1200.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:13:04 PM »
Public comments from this weekend's trains:

welcoming volunteer staff, answer questions and provide history of the railroad. The farmstand at the turn around point was a special surprise.

A wonderful day at the railroad. Shiny black engines, freshly painted cars, new authentic looking buildings - a train fan's paradise. The ride was perfect, sunny and full of steam and cinders. Obviously a lot of preparation to make it a great day for steam enthusiasts. Picnic lunch was great, too!

Great trip really feel like you stepped back in time

Today we rode the Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington Railroad (WW&F) as the first passengers to Milepost 8 since 1933! We rode behind steam locomotive #9 on a Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad (24" between the rails). It was a beautiful trip on a pleasant evening with a stop at Ana, ME for the best Wild Berry Pie ever! It came from Creamed Baking Company Wiscasset, ME. I had to order some to take home!

We had a great time!

Rode the train to Top of the Mountain but walked down to 218 to see all the work that has been done since I was to Trout Brook previously. Was a wonderful day and glad for the reopening! These volunteers are awesome! Sorry I missed the pie but thanks to Bob and Al I got back to Sheepscot Station for my picnic.

We had a good time yesterday riding the Train. Thanks so much.

An amazing chance to experience a time gone by. The Maine "two-footers" are a unique piece of America's railroading past. It is amazing that there is a group of volunteers who are putting so much effort into presenting it to those who are interested. I had a great visit here, and would absolutely recommend a visit and ride through history.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »
And kudos to those who planned it: Ed, Jason, Steve P.  They put a lot of hard work into a thoughtful reopening.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 08:51:33 AM »
Well done, everyone!!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 09:06:21 AM »
Yes, you know it was good when Ed was almost speechless when I asked about it Saturday. Notice I said almost.. What a great way to start the years operating season. And I am sure the neighbors in the Trout Brook valley enjoyed the sounds too.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:25:14 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:25:54 AM »
Congratulations to all on a great event!  Great planning and execution by all involved.
What–me worry?

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
Great job everyone.  Just keep up the same level of vigilance!

Bob

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »
So great to hear the weekend was a great success!
Congrats!
Paul Uhland

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »
Congratulations you all. Over the past few months your abiding will  and your  staunch  and steady  work to keep the lights on and to revive the Shipscot Valley service  amply deserved that great success that will be definitely followed by numerous other ones  within the end of the operating season. It was a treat for me to look on that Grand Reopening via your comments and fb pictures.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 09:05:45 AM »
Congratulations on a successful weekend. Quite an impressive photo spread in the news article.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »
Sounds like a really great event! Well done!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »

By popular demand, we continue to sell the "virtual tickets" to the WW&F Mile Post 8 Excursion via our online gift shop.

This exclusive video for virtual ticket-holders (accessed via an Internet link which will be emailed to you) includes a steam-powered, narrow gauge revenue freight delivery; excursion trips to Top of the Mountain; the first public passenger train to Mile Post 8 (just south of the Trout Brook Bridge) since 1933; and the sights and sounds of locomotive #9 hauling a 3-car passenger train up the 3% grade.

Duration is 1hr 9min. Videography by Eric Schade. "Tickets" are $25.

Purchase the Virtual WW&F Ticket is at: https://giftshop.wwfry.org/product/virtual-video-trip-to-the-ww-f-ry-museum/411?cs=true

(It can also be found at http://giftshop.wwfry.org under DVDs and Videos.)

Thanks to all who already purchased your ticket - you should have received the video link via email.
We sincerely appreciate everyone's continued support of the Sheepscot Valley Narrow Gauge.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum