Author Topic: NG Freight Car Construction - Tech Question  (Read 2264 times)

Tom Werb

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
NG Freight Car Construction - Tech Question
« on: July 26, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
I know that the WW&F Shop has built and rebuilt several N.G. Freight Cars.

What is used for the "Body Bolster" under the Car?

1. Is it a wooden "plank" attached to the Sills with a Center Bearing for the Truck/Bogie?

2. Is it a metal Fabrication/Casting attached to the Sills.

3. Did this part change from wood to metal from the 1890s to the 1920s?

A photo of a reproduction/restored underframe showing the Body Bolster would be very helpful . . . .

I'm asking this question for a fellow N.G. Modeller; thanx for any info/photo you have . . .

Extremely-Narrow-Mindedly,
Tom Werb
Tom Werb

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: NG Freight Car Construction - Tech Question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »
Tom, it isn't a simple answer.  A good example is that on the recently restored tank car. Titled: "B&SR Tank 14 - Official Restoration Thread."  If you go through that thread there are some good pictures that should show what you want.  Also look for previous threads about flat car restoration.  There have been a couple. 

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
Graham

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
Every NG car starts out life as a flatcar.  Every flatcar I've seen worked on has a steel bolster.  It's basically a long bar or piece of plate that stretches the width of the car.  On that plate sits a receptacle for the truck, which has a corresponding receptacle (one's male, one's female, but I don't recall which is which).  Also on the plate is a casting where tension rods terminate, which go up over the innermost sills (and through the intermediate sills).

Coach 9 seems to be slightly different, in that there's a wood component to the bolster.  Basically the bolster is a lot beefier (more than just a plate).

Whether some of the older cars started out in the 1800s with wooden bolsters, I don't know.  I'd be surprised if they did, because steel's a lot stronger and the car builder's craft had advanced along 50+ years since the beginning of railroading.

Tom Werb

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 05:44:33 AM »
Thanx for the info . . . very helpful.
Tom Werb