Author Topic: May 2020 Work reports  (Read 20662 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
May 2020 Work reports
« on: April 29, 2020, 05:48:46 AM »
For Saturday May 2.

* 2 PM Annual Meeting.  Online.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: May 2020 Work reports
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 05:32:01 PM »
Main culvert was replaced today, and tried to save enough of the original to use as the second section.

2 things happened to the culvert. The joint had completely seperated, and it had collapsed. I stuck my phone in the hole first thing this morning with the flash on and found this. Hard to see but if you look in the top right you will see it.

James was helping me get the culvert cleaned off

The collapse exposed

And out in the daylight..light through the top, light hitting below

I cut out a section and flipped it over

Shut down for the week..

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:09:35 PM »
Annual meeting started at 2:00, with the laptop set up in the dining room of the Percival House.  Instead of the refrigerator as a backdrop, we brought up a time table board from downstairs.

(Re)elected directors were Randy Beach, Mike Fox, and Alan Downey.

Reports were give by Dave Buczkowski, myself (Treasurer), Jason Lamontagne (Superintendant), and Linda Zollers (Gift shop and archives).

Adjourned 2:30.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 07:00:14 PM »
Great to see John Scott from Melbourne, Australia join the virtual meeting.  It was a pleasure to see and hear him.  Bless him for joining us at 4 a.m. local time.

What–me worry?

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:31:12 PM »
If I knew your meetings were so concise I would have joined - I had a quarterly meeting of the Railroad Museum of New England at 3pm and since I'm the secretary I had to set myself up for our first ever general membership meeting.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »
Mike
Any chance of a warrantee replacement on that culvert?  ;D ;D

That is what you get for using that newfangled stuff instead of stone.  :D

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 12:31:20 AM »
Thank you Bill Reidy for your very kind words.

It was a pleasure for me to be able to directly participate in an event at the WW&F Railway.

As President Dave intimated, the wretched virus has given us a clue for the achievement of increased inclusivity for our away people (wherever they may be).

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 12:33:58 AM »
Mike, you have expertly addressed what has amounted to a significant infrastructure emergency. The occurrence has demonstrated the limitations of certain modern materials.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 07:05:56 AM »
I had a bugger of a time trying to get my video and audio to sync with the program but for some reason it just wouldn't.  Luckily, the chat option was available and did work nicely.

On a side note, this option would be a good way for working groups to be able to meet and for more people from afar to be able to participate in projects.
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »
All,
So we don’t get carried away with all this new-fangled computer/Zoom marlarkey I have tasked John McNamara and Stewart Rhine to come up with a remote meeting solution that is compatible with our mag phone system. And no lithium batteries either!
Dave

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 02:40:55 PM »
So, what happened at da  meetin ?
Paul Uhland

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »
So we don’t get carried away with all this new-fangled computer/Zoom marlarkey I have tasked John McNamara and Stewart Rhine to come up with a remote meeting solution that is compatible with our mag phone system. And no lithium batteries either!

:) It should be fairly straightforward to arrange the mag phone receiver/microphone/handset to be in close physical proximity (duct tape?) to a laptop microphone & speaker (might work best with a 'plug-in' microphone/headset for the laptop). This would be a separate laptop from the main one in use as the 'primary' device in the Percival House.  Then have that mag-phone laptop log into the conferencing system like any other user.   Then all is needed is for someone (Dave? ;D ) to go to one of the mag phone locations elsewhere along the mag-phone line, and participate in the meeting from, say, the station at Alna Center.  8)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:54:19 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
Graham,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Best laugh I've had all week!
Moxie Bootlegger

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
I wonder if some kind of support structure over the middle of the culvert right under the track might help?
Is it the vibration and weight of the passing trains or is this a freeze/thaw phenomenon?
Armchair engineers are curious.  :D
Gawdon

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 06:32:28 PM »
Hi Gawdon.
 The problem we have is in quite a few of our fills is the wonderful clay that is found all over the Alna area. The clay works when it is wet, becoming very pliable. Compacted ground is suddenly movable. These larger culverts seem to get it the worst. I am going to try to find a source for a plastic pipe that will take the pressures better. And start inspecting the pipes more often. I'd rather not use steel, but my steel source would make us a solid pipe with no joint up to 45 feet long..at a slightly higher price (shipping) than the plastic.

Maybe we need to find some more old steel riveted pipe??
Mike
Doing way too much to list...