Author Topic: Newest 2-foot steamer  (Read 5657 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Newest 2-foot steamer
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:16:00 PM »
This locomotive is a mostly new replica of a World War I Davenport locomotive, used by US forces in France. The frame, drivers and cylinders are original; everything from the wheels up is new. It has air brakes, which were not used on the originals. Owned by someone in California, I understand.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newest 2-foot steamer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »
Considering what they started with....they did a fantastic job!

Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:31:15 AM »
Always thought that would be a keen addition to the museum as it would fit the WWI venue so nicely but I don't know if the tractive effort would be sufficient.  Did the Portland company build any of these to the USRA design?
Moxie Bootlegger

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
This locomotive is a mostly new replica of a World War I Davenport locomotive, used by US forces in France. The frame, drivers and cylinders are original; everything from the wheels up is new. It has air brakes, which were not used on the originals. Owned by someone in California, I understand.

This is a recreation of Davenport 2967 of 1918 which, along with sister loco 2968, was turned into a 2-6-0 tender loco by Byron Hiatt of Creston, Iowa. An interesting detail of the rebuilt loco is that it has Ffestiniog-designed 'chopper' couplings.

Addendum: Discussion of the identity of this loco on the British NG Enthusiasts site seem to indicate that it was actually US Army No 5240, Davenport works number 1695, and Byron Railroad No. 2967. US Army 5245 was Davenport's number 1700, and Byron Railroad No. 2968. The man behind the project is apparently Peter Nott, a Ffestiniog Railway supporter who has spent long periods in UK over the past few years. He passed out as a steam loco driver on the FR some years ago.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:23:48 PM by John L Dobson »
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:30:26 PM »
That is a very nice recreation/restoration.

To answer John K's question - The only US builders of the War Dept. 2-6-2Ts were Baldwin, Davenport, and Vulcan. I read somewhere that the Davenport and Vulcan models never made it across the pond. Hopefully, someone can correct me on this.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mark Hendrickson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
Also the last locomotive Portland built was Bridgton and Saco #5 in 1906.  It had been 12 years since they had built any locomotives those being W&Q #2 and 3 in 1894.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »
Alco (Cooke) was also involved in the war effort and built 100 60cm 2-6-2Ts for the British army in 1917.  This was in addition to 495 60cm 4-6-0Ts built by Baldwin for the British in 1916-1917.

The Ffestiniog's 2-6-2T 'Mountaineer' is one of these British army Alcos (C/N 57156).

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 07:31:58 AM »
The Festiniog Mountaineer was on the Tramway de Pithivers à Toury TPT that was closed  down in 1964 its number plate was 3-23. TPT owned  four of them and 3-22 has been in the AMTP museum for long.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 03:19:30 PM »
I recall one of these 2-6-2T s for sale in (I believe) in Watertown, NY.
Moxie Bootlegger

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
I recall one of these 2-6-2T s for sale in (I believe) in Watertown, NY.
The locomotive in the photos Wayne posted is the Watertown loco that was offered by Railstar.
Originally from the Byron Railroad utilizing a chassis that remained at the Davenport factor after the war department order was cancelled.
Keith

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
Thanks Keith for connecting the dots - but there was a second Byron unit that was supposedly for sale somewhere in the midwest.  I believe that it too was a Davenport.
Moxie Bootlegger

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
Thanks Keith for connecting the dots - but there was a second Byron unit that was supposedly for sale somewhere in the midwest.  I believe that it too was a Davenport.
John....I may be mistaken but I believe I remember that both Hiatt locomotives were sold to the private individual in California.

Keith