Author Topic: WCSH's '207' visits the WW&F  (Read 5589 times)

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
WCSH's '207' visits the WW&F
« on: February 21, 2020, 10:48:56 PM »
Today the WW&F was visited by WSCH's (channel 6) Amanda Hill and her cameraman Devin Crawford.

Museum member Andy Swift for connected us and told Amanda she needed to get up to Alna stat to see what we were up to, so she did.

There were a several interviews, lots of filming at Sheepscot and the environs and a run up to Alna Center, which was not without a few interesting moments because yours truly brought the trai  to an unintended stop with the engine right on the Averill Rd. crossing, which led the train to stall. After letting all of our slack in and thoroughly cleaning and sanding the crossing, we were able to get back on our feet once again, pull the train into the clear on the main and run around on the passing siding.

With our minds put together, we figured it out. A nice display of some of the challenges of winter railroading.

For what it's worth, Averill Rd. seems to be worse than usual in terms of ice build up on the crossing- maybe due to snowmobile traffic.

When I hear of the date that the segment will air, I will post it here.

Steve

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: WCSH's '207' visits the WW&F
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 06:37:42 PM »
The ice build up from the rain/sleet storm on the crossing is very noticeable. The sun was working it's magic on it today, with the ends of the planks on the north side of the main line showing by end of day.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who are interested, the WW&F will be featured on tomorrow night's episode of '207' at 7PM. It's on WCSH - channel 6

Enjoy!

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 06:24:44 AM »
Hopefully the segment will be posted online after broadcast.  The website for 207 is https://www.newscentermaine.com/207
What–me worry?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
What–me worry?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 12:53:51 PM »
Very well done. All the basics with beautiful shots. :)

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »
If you are debating whether or not to invest 6:07 minutes watching this clip, its not just a couple of talking heads ;) standing around on camera.   Aside from the current shots of the WW&F, there is also quite a number of historic photos that are tied into the voice narration.

Well done.
Graham

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 03:11:21 PM »
Excellent !!
It was nice that they took that amount of time to tell the story with emphasis on both history and the importance of the museum today.

On the Steam and Sleighs train a few weeks ago 9 stopped on the iced up crossing on the first train north. Actually, she started slipping as we tried to get the vestibule onto the platform and couldn't go any further.
Fortunately, we were able to back down off the crossing and then get enough momentum to get over it the second time through.
Gawdon

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 03:18:17 PM »
Wow, that was an impressive segment!   

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
That is one of the best news segments produced so far.. Excellent work by all, especially those interviewed. That is never easy.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
WCSH has posted a related article online:  https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/local/207/207-interview/connecting-communities-with-a-narrow-gauge-rail/97-715f8bc2-867f-4c3c-9abb-da4266a9f1c8?fbclid=IwAR2roDnlpoGdQWqROZGw4tfreJhO5sr3aSEU8oUZnpMnv_6C4SSFk4xwgZ4

After finding the above I see Stewart had found it as well and posted it to our Facebook page.  Stewart also found WCSH has posted the segment on YouTube:  https://youtu.be/wmHiYSqXVjc?fbclid=IwAR1xY1a3lgNB202rH_lC2vtIHoepFmBw3zunEFWFddjytKcI5BfaE5dGCg4

I couldn't agree more--this is one of the best media segments I've seen about our railway.  Terrific job by all involved.
What–me worry?

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
Great media segment that will sure  publicize  WW&F. Congratulations to all that were involved in. I know it's not that easy to be interwied by a TV crew but  having a  passion  for what you are speaking about helps a lot and you did it perfectly.  BTW guys, I was very happy to hear your voice .

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 04:49:30 PM »
A very well done segment, indeed.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

John Meixel

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
Very nicely done!

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
A real nice segmant. I think the interviews were very informative and do a great job of conveying the idea of the important role the WW&F played in providing a lifeline for the Sheepscot valley. And it also shows that it's cool!