Author Topic: EBT is SOLD! New non-profit to open RR in 2021  (Read 12872 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: EBT is SOLD! New non-profit to open RR in 2021
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
I dont know how much the FEBT and the old EBT worked together, but my impression is it will remain virtually the same as it was.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »
Here's my take on last Friday's events, based on speaking directly with the three main principals as well as folks from the FEBT and other outside consultants. The East Broad Top Foundation intends to set to work to protect and stabilize the shops and roundhouse immediately, as they recognize the great educational value of them. To that end, a contractor has been engaged to install a fire suppression system, another contractor has begun work to level and straighten the shops and several associated structures, and a consultant has been inspecting four of the locomotives to determine which two are the best candidates for overhaul.

The Friends of the East Broad Top will continue their work of stabilizing and repairing buildings and restoring rolling stock. They will also be engaged in track repair work alongside a contractor. Another contractor will be clearing trees and brush from the "operating" portion of the railroad. The Foundation hopes to have some limited operations take place by August to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first reopening of the railroad, perhaps utilizing M-1 or a diesel. By next season, they plan to reopen the 3.5 miles to Colgate Grove with steam power, with the second engine to be restored by the start of the 2022 season.

As for extending the operating portion of the railroad in either direction, my guess is it will be several years before that takes place. It will require the new operation to establish itself operationally and more importantly financially, and to develop working relationships with the communities along the railroad. In addition, there are major engineering challenges beyond the current limits of operations in both directions.

I believe the new organization will be be successful in obtaining substantial donations and grants, since the principals are well-known both in the industry and elsewhere. In the meantime, they have done the hard work, as was noted by someone on-line, and now it is up to us, the friends or Friends of the EBT, to keep the dream alive.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 05:49:04 PM »
...and now it is up to us, the friends or Friends of the EBT, to keep the dream alive.

In that spirit, I joined the FEBT as a new member this past week, and I understand from the personal email I received back, the group has seen a substantial jump in membership since the news broke.  Much like when I joined our Museum in the late '90s, I look forward to following their news through their newsletter.
What–me worry?

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »
As long time life member of FEBT, I encourage all to join and donate to this wonderful railroad. I look forward to better and better things happening every year.
Allan Fisher

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
As long time life member of FEBT, I encourage all to join and donate to this wonderful railroad. I look forward to better and better things happening every year.
Good suggestion Allan, I did the same with MNG when the big changes came up last year.  I also just joined FEBT to offer some support.  We narrow gauge'rs need to stick together. 

Of course when it comes to narrow gauge, the Maine'rs have it way under (width wise) everyone else in the country.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Just coincidentally while reading the July 1961 Model Railroader "Bull Session"

East Broad Top RR was sponsoring a contest, in conjunction with the NMRA,
for the best model of a EBT freight or Passenger car. -
1962 was to be a locomotive.
Send 50¢ to Charles Douds for plans.  ;)
The objective of the contest was to develop interest in Eastern narrow gauge railroading.
EBT was operating daily July & August and weekends through October.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:05:19 PM by Carl G. Soderstrom »

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2020, 08:13:32 PM »
Details don't matter.  WW&F contributors should feel a need to help support the FEBT.  However, their website is very confusing and does not have an easy pathway to join.  If anyone can help smooth that out, it would be helpful.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:39 PM »
If you want to donate to the Friends of EBT then this page will be happy to assist you in doing that:
http://febt.org/donate/

Joining the Friends of EBT as a member is here:
https://store.febt.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=120&products_id=601

Note that the foundation that recently bought the EBT is not the Friends, but is the "EBT Foundation". 

The EBT Foundation would prefer that  'normal size' :) donors  make those donations to the Friends group.    However, as they phrase it ....
Perhaps you’re fortunate enough to be able to make a larger contribution. We’d love to talk with you about opportunities to sponsor essential equipment — a new water system for the locomotives, for instance, or new passenger cars. Contact Lawrence Biemiller with your ideas!
https://eastbroadtop.com/how-to-help/

So unless your checkbook is giant-size, 8) join/donate through the Friends group.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:46:21 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
I just joined as well. It's still not simple as you have to create an account but, then what is these days!
Dave

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 04:36:38 PM »
I've been a member of the Friends of the EBT since 1986 and it is a solid organization.  The FEBT has had a few ups and downs but over the last 15+ years has gotten a lot of work done on the EBT structures at Rockhill Furnace as well as restoring EBT and FEBT rolling stock. The FEBT owns the old Robertsdale P.O. building and maintains the EBT depot as a museum.  It's good to hear that so many of you have joined the ranks, the new partnership with the EBTF should be a big plus in bringing the EBT back to life. 

The EBT is where I rode my first narrow gauge steam train when the line re-opened in 1960.  I got a cab ride in #15 that year and always looked forward to going back when I lived in Maryland.  The longest stay was in 1991 when I took two weeks of vacation to volunteer on some friends projects.  I have boxes of slides from many trips over the years including a photo of me with Mr. Wilburn.   Cindy and I went to the 50th anniversary of the re-opening where we got to ride a section car on the recently cleared south end of the yard.  With the good news of the EBTF purchasing the railroad, we plan on going to the 60th anniversary this Summer.   

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
After joining last week, I just received their quarterly newsletter, a well-produced 24-page issue.  While it's unlikely I'll get the opportunity to visit and volunteer at the EBT on a regular basis like the WW&F, I look forward to following progress during this new chapter and beyond.

The EBT is where I rode my first narrow gauge steam train when the line re-opened in 1960.

He!  We now know who to blame, Stewart!
What–me worry?

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 05:31:09 AM »
The last time I saw the East Broad Top under steam was October 29th, 2011, during a freak pre-winter blizzard fondly referred to as Snowtober. Two months later, the tourist excursion season ended, and the East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company suspended operations indefinitely. The railroad has been dormant since, their doors locked.

Fast forward to Friday, February 14th, 2020. On this day the EBT announced that the Kovalchick family had agreed to sell the railroad in its entirety to the non-profit EBT Foundation, Inc. a newly formed group of prominent railroad industry figures, philanthropists, and longtime EBT enthusiasts. I was there representing the Friends of the EBT in the role of event photographer, recording the day’s events with both candid and posed images.

But my day started much earlier than the 11am proceedings at the train station; I arrived at 1am. Since the 2011 closure, I have been routinely visiting the towns of Orbisonia, Mount Union, Robertsdale, and all points of interest in between. Regardless of season, weather conditions, or time of day, it has been my mission to photograph and document the facilities as they exist present day. But the rails have always been void of the trains. What has been missing is now back. Four locomotives out on display, a pair of the premium passenger cars, a tank and boxcars, and those iconic cabooses!

There were smiles everywhere you looked. So many emotions in everyone’s eyes. I’ve been to many railfan events, this was the best one in a long time. Such an awesome experience, I’m so happy to have been a part of it. I had the great pleasure to talk with Joe Kovalchick and EBT historian Lee Rainey for 10 minutes each, both were choked up and fumbling their words. It might have been a frigid morning, but it all felt like a family reunion and outdoor party. Godspeed EBT!

I have always been waiting for the clock hands to run backwards – as narrow gauged smoke billowing trains once again traverse the Pennsylvania countryside pulling passenger laden cars. The dream has come true. I will continue my quest at the land that time has ignored. Everything there has a story; with each return visit my cameras are listening. It lures me back; I’m continuing the adventure real soon.

Follow the link below to my gallery of photographs, which starts with an image from October of 2011. The black/white absolutely timeless photos were captured between 1 and 6am, and then the scenes from the announcement event are in color.

http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47324941

Enjoy,
Matthew

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 07:53:23 AM »
Great photos Matthew. Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 11:29:00 AM »
I too got my packet of FEBT stuff today. Very nicely put together. Intro packet of past and present acheivements. A little railroad history and route map along with yard map of Rockhill Furnace much similar to our museum guide. A FEBT brochure, trolley museum brochure, and the Timber Transfer quarterly newsletter Bill mentioned. Very exciting times lay ahead for the EBT.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
Fro those interested:

The September 1961 MODEL RAILROADER® has photos of the Mount Union Transfer Crane swapping
trucks (3' to 4'81/2") {page 22}

On page 42:
Plans for engine #16 and photos of #16 & #17
Caboose #28
Board-&-Batten Open-End Coach #10
30 ton Hopper #805
Box Car #170

If you are interested I MIGHT be able to scan some pages. Bear in mind these ate 59 YO
magazines and grainy to start with.

PM me