Author Topic: Steam and Saws: February 15, 2020  (Read 4151 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Steam and Saws: February 15, 2020
« on: January 15, 2020, 07:38:13 PM »
With about a month to plan, I think we will have a Steam and Saws, 2020 version, in February. This will be the one day this winter we cut on the Mountain. In the past 2 years, we have done enough A LOT to get the construction of the track through, now for some improvements.

The task will be a little challenging. I would like to open some curves up a little more to increase visibility. Which ones we work on will depend on the amount of snow cover we have. Some of the inside of one curve I'd like to cut is on a steep slope, and I would not ask anyone to work on that if is not safe. Perhaps get what we can near the tracks and cut more when it is safe to do so.

Preliminary plans are to load the brush on a flat or 2 and haul it to TOM to be burnt in a pile. If this does not work, we will adapt on the fly and do something different. Any wood cut will be loaded on a flat and hauled back to Sheepscot.

So, mark your calendar. Lets play on the Mountain again this year. February 15th, 2020.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:28:48 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Steam and Saws: February 15, 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »
Sounds like a busy day at the RR.

As it was last year, the "Steam and Saws" work party will run concurrently with our public winter passenger service: Steam and Sleighs. This will allow the public to see what we do up-close.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:17:34 AM »
On www.wwfry is there an updated version of Steam and Sleighs that mentions the SeaLyon attractions?

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:12:21 AM »
On www.wwfry is there an updated version of Steam and Sleighs that mentions the SeaLyon attractions?

Here is one page (possibly there are others):

https://wwfrytickets.simpletix.com/e/48757

Graham

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 03:32:16 AM »
I will be making a Recent News post about next weekend's Steam & Sleighs late this weekend.  In a few minutes I'll be offline until then.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
Due to snow conditions on the Mountain, Steam and Saws will be at TOM. Plenty to cut, and we will have Caboose 554 and Prebles as warming huts. It will also be a great way for the Steam and Sleigh participants see some of what we do in the winter. Hope to see you Saturday.
Mike

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:32:39 PM »
I don't know how long its been since we last cut on the West side at Top of the Mountain. Gotta make room for the shingle mill.Yea!!!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »
We made a little progress today. Cut a lot of downed stuff and made a good fire for the guests. And, being that we were on flat ground with a little snow, Fred joined us. We did not have much help unfortunately, but we still got some done.

We also cut up a bunch of dead wood for tomorrows fire, but I am not sure it will be enough. But starting it later will help it last.
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 06:58:32 PM »
Sorry I couldn't be there today.  I'm using my last hall pass for February tomorrow to conduct.

Thanks for the photos, Mike.
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:38:41 PM »
Thanks for all the good photos and commentary, Mike.