Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 Historical Information  (Read 5019 times)

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
WW&F No. 9 Historical Information
« on: December 25, 2019, 07:06:33 AM »
So while it's been some time since I posted up here, with one of my current projects and the fact that the WW&F has the engine in question, I figure this would be the best place to find sources of information and photographs. Now I've been working on producing O Scale narrow gauge kits and detail parts (just look up Lambert Locomotive Works on Facebook to get an idea of the shenanigans I've been up to). Well with all that research I've done, I might as well try to put it to good use and try to educate people as well. So while I'm starting off with a video on the K27 Mudhens of the Denver and Rio Grande, I do want to tackle No. 9's history as well. For those of you familiar with Drachinifel on Youtube, you can get an idea of the format I want to go with from his videos. Ideally if I can do one every month, that would be great but it'll all come down to availability of research materials, photographs to use, and my own personal time to throw the final product together.

So the big question I have is what sort of pictures are floating around of No. 9 during it's long life that I might be able to use for such a video, and what sort of historical and more recent resources (such as knowledge gleaned from her rebuild) that I can tap into to get the ball rolling?

Many thanks in advance.

Dylan Lambert

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 Historical Information
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »
I think the Walker Transportation Collection has a picture of SR&RL #6 (WW&F #9) at the Portland Co. plant. I also think I have a copy of that somewhere on my computer. Of course finding it is another story.

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
So I do have some preliminary audio I've assembled... Is it factually correct (aside from my obvious bias towards the modern WW&F's efforts)? I do want to keep it clear, concise and to the point, on top of being accurate.
https://soundcloud.com/user-606510749/complete-audio-1

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
"This track was not found."

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »
Try it now John, I've reset the link as a public link.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:07:28 AM »
Interesting summary Dylan.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »
Interesting summary Dylan.
Well I do think it's interesting subject matter... I wouldn't be working on it if I didn't think so. But the big question; is the information accurate? I believe it is, but is there anything I'm missing or context that I've left out that could be important to the discussion?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »
Hi Dylan,

Thanks for all the kind words in the audio track. Great job overall!

The only two (very minor) things I noticed (but I am far from an expert) are:
1. I believe that the Kennebec Central lost the coal contract to a trolley/street railway - not trucks. But I may be wrong on that. (Or confusing it with the woolen mill on the WW&F Winslow branch?)

2. You are putting to much "ah" in the pronunciation of "Wiscasset" - it's more like a contraction of Wisk Asset - at least as far as I have ever heard it said.

Good luck with your project!

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »
Phonically it would be Wis K-asset.  Minor point but we don't want him to stop by and sound like some "furr-in-ner" !!!   :o
Moxie Bootlegger

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »
Glad you guys are liking what I'm working on. With no major historical nitpicks (other than a need to check who actually got the coal contract from the KC and correct if necessary) I think we're looking good on the audio... The next big thing is pictures. Where I was last up there when 9 was in pieces, I don't have much modern stuff that can fill out the video itself. So is there historical pictures that have been digitized that someone has floating around that I might be able to make use of? The best I can really do is give credit for the photographs, as I'm not doing this for money... More of trying to be the narrow gauge equivalent to that navy guy Drachinifel on Youtube with what I've been gathering for research materials for my kit design research.

And don't get me started on my plans for the Sandy River video yet. That's going to be a gorilla and a half, and I've got six pages of notes on just the locomotives without even getting into the history of the companies yet. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:19:02 AM by Dylan Lambert »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
Great stuff! Thanks! :)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
You may want to reach out directly to Linda Zollers, our archivist. She has many photos of WW&F #9. You would have to ask her about digital copies, usage rights, etc.

Linda can be reached at: archivist@wwfry.org or call the museum main number on most Saturdays.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
Hello Dylan . As a French speaker your sound track is a hell of a good exercise and I'm sure that little by little I'm going to learn a host of very interesting details about the long life of #9. Will you put English subtitles later on? That would be useful for some foreign vewers and hearing- impaired as well. Good luck for your project.

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »
Hello Dylan . As a French speaker your sound track is a hell of a good exercise and I'm sure that little by little I'm going to learn a host of very interesting details about the long life of #9. Will you put English subtitles later on? That would be useful for some foreign vewers and hearing- impaired as well. Good luck for your project.
I don't see why I can't add subtitles when the time comes. I don't know how I'd go about doing it, but it's another thing that should be easy enough to figure out.