Author Topic: NOV. 2 - WORK-EVENT- ROCK THE MOUNTAIN!  (Read 15981 times)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: NOV. 2 - WORK-EVENT- ROCK THE MOUNTAIN!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
Well said, Bill.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2019, 03:40:23 AM »
Don't forget us that only can get there on the weekends. We are also getting lots done.

I remember when the weekends were the only time anything ever got worked on. Now someone is there almost daily. We are very lucky to have such a dedicated band of volunteers.

I saw recently on the news where a group of retired guys would get together every Tuesday at the Maine Forrest and Logging Museum. They would work on a variety of projects. They called it a Senior Day Care center..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »

I saw recently on the news where a group of retired guys would get together every Tuesday at the Maine Forrest and Logging Museum. They would work on a variety of projects. They called it a Senior Day Care center..

LOL! Mike I have experienced the Maine Forest & Logging Museum "Tuesday Crew" (aka Senior Day Care) They are animals!
Its amazing how much they get done and how much fun they have doing it! Great bunch of people and a great way
to stay young. (or at least until you get home and the aches and pains set in!)

I another note I am always amazed at the wonderful work all you folks at the WW&F are doing.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/local/the-men-who-keep-one-maine-museum-going/97-3317c6ee-3b57-437d-bc64-4260bda46faa

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
Thanks for the link Terry. I was looking for you in the piece but I guess you don't qualify yet..
Mike

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
Thanks Mike! I think I still have at least a couple of years yet before I can be part of
that august crew!

The museum did just get in a neat old beast you might like. We have it running sweet as pea
now and the dump body is awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGiWdVnt53Y

Would have been neat to have it working on the mountain extension (LOL)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:23:17 PM by Terry Harper »

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »
Some photos from today's work event.

Two work trains were run today, with similar consists.  X52 had (north to south) MNG flatcar 205, B&SR flatcar 34, locomotive 52 and as crew car, MLMW open car 130.  X9 had WW&F flatcars 118 and 126, locomotive 9 and coach 8.  Here at Alna Center, X52's train is found on the siding as Mike Fox is about to reload the flatcars with stone.

Mike loads flatcar 205, in between his work today with Fred Morse to clear trees for the Alna Center pavilion.

Work trains met at Top of the Mountain.  Here's X52 waiting for X9 to return south from the work zone, with brakeman Bryce Weeks (left) and engineer Dwight Winkley (right).

While waiting at Top of the Mountain, we enjoyed hearing and then seeing No. 9 climbing the grade on the Mountain as she returned her train south.  Here Ed Lecuyer leads the train back south.

We had a very good turnout today.  I counted 31 names in our volunteer log when I left late afternoon.  Here folks work on unloading X52's flatcars near end of track near Route 218.   

Dana Deering led the end-of-track crew unloading flats, jacking and tamping the dip just south of the bridge, and safety spiking most of the last track put down Monday of Fall Work Weekend.  Ten carloads of ballast were put down today.

Kudos to Ed Lecuyer for putting together today's operating train plan, and to Steve Piwowarski for organizing lunch.

Last photos from me for a while.  The soonest I can by back at Sheepscot is the end of the month.
What–me worry?

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 02:48:43 AM »
Thank you Bill for these interesting photos and captions of that very busy and fortunately fairly sunny day. I'd like to ask a question, why did you ballast the track  on both side of the bridge rather than elsewhere on the newly laid track ? Was there a deadline to comply with in that area ?

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2019, 06:16:01 AM »
We had to get the work done around the bridge before the time ran out on our permit to work within the shoreline zone.

I was very  pleased with the amount of work the crew got done yesterday.  We had a good turnout and everyone worked hard.  We were able to take the big dip out of the track just south of the bridge, which consumed a lot of stone.  I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to raise it in one lift as it had to come up about 11 inches.  We got more of that last 140 feet of track safety spiked and made a good head start on the SWW.  A big thank you to everyone who showed up to work!   Thank you to the engine crews, to Mike Fox for loading the flatcars, and to Steve P. and Cindy Longo for delivering a delicious hot lunch to the worksite, and to anyone else I may have unintentionally left out.  All in all it was a very successful day.

I only wish I had thought to take before and after photos of the dip.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »
Alain, to answer your question, they started at the north end ballasting so in the spring the tamper can start working there and not have to move every time the ballast trains came through. We have been doing it this way for several years and is yet another way we have figured out how to make work weekends go as smooth as possible.

I was very suprised when I returned south to sign out and saw how many names were in the book. The day was perfect. Not too hot and not too wet. There was even a family of 4 that came just to shovel. As seen in Bills pics, the kids loved it.
Mike

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
Thank you so much Dana and Mike for answering my question. You really did a good job of work Saturday. You all are not only a  band of dedicated  hard working volunteers  but you are  far seeing people  and very well organized. All what you undertake  is always well pondered and thoroughly planned and I think that is the main key to your successful story.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2019, 04:57:28 PM »
... you are far seeing people  and very well organized. All what you undertake  is always well pondered and thoroughly planned and I think that is the main key to your successful story.
Alain,
I think your observation is correct.  The Museum Board of Directors does a good job of setting the long term direction and goals.  The various job foremen (and women) do a good job of implementing those plans to achieve those goals.  The many, many other volunteers are always willing to chip in as they can to make those plans happen.  That is the secret of why our volunteer organization consistently achieves it's goals.  To wit, we have 3 1/2 miles of main line, two yards, a dozen buildings, four locomotives, a fleet of freight and passenger cars and lots of other things that make the WW&F Ry Museum such a fascinating place to visit, and if not riding the trains, just to wander around and experience the Sheepscot valley railroading history.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
Looks like quite a bit was accomplished. Thanks for the photos, Bill.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.