Author Topic: 2019 FWW Operating Plan Notice  (Read 6042 times)

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
2019 FWW Operating Plan Notice
« on: October 04, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »
Hello all,

I want to highlight the fact that Ed and I are developing a very intricate and careful operating plan for 2019 FWW.  This involves a work train on the Mountain, with 6 individual support work crews, two passenger trains handling both SeaLyon pumpkin service AND material supply to the work activities.  Ed and I have it figured out (Ed has spent HOURS- last email came at 12:30AM), but I ask that everyone respect the plan and adhere to it as instructed.  Ed will be dispatching the entire Fall Work Weekend.  He will be drafting operating plans on Sunday; I'll review and we'll finalize them on Monday, with the intent to disseminate them to the crew by the end of the day Monday. 

Thank you all, we're in for a historic weekend in many ways!
Jason

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 FWW Operating Plan Notice
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:05:58 AM »
Good planning makes for efficient work.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 06:28:41 AM »
Hi Jason.  Will the FWW operating plan be posted today?  Id like a chance to review it before heading to Sheepscot later in the week. 

Thanks.
What–me worry?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »
It is my hope to have the operating plans (and special instructions) published before I call it quits for the night.

Everything is written and worked out. All that is left is a final check and formatting into clear, concise instructions.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
Ed and Jason have put a lot of thought into making the weekend work out for both the FWW and the Pumpkin Trains. Not an easy task to accomplish. My hat is off to them.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »
My hat is off to Ed and Jason also. Good to have clear and written plans instructions. The car concours I worked at last weekend should have done that. Would have kept us volunteers from mass confusion and figuring things out on the fly.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
Ed and Jason have put a lot of thought into making the weekend work out for both the FWW and the Pumpkin Trains. Not an easy task to accomplish. My hat is off to them.

My hat is off to Ed and Jason also. Good to have clear and written plans instructions.

I couldn't agree more.  I caught a printed preview of the FWW train plans on Saturday.  Very well thought out.

Like many volunteers at our Museum, both Ed and Jason take on many thankless tasks.   I'll call out the ones Ed has taken on (sorry, Jason!).  Ed moderates our forum (forum.wwfry.org -- he's had a perfect touch moderating, I'd say), handles the crew caller role to ensure we have train crews for our trains, and plans train operations for special events like this coming Fall Work Weekend, putting up with PITA conductors like me.  He'll be train dispatcher throughout FWW, missing the chance to be present on the Mountain Extension when we cross the bridge with the rail train Saturday or talking with families as they they ride to and from SeaLyon Farm for our Pumpkin Trains Saturday & Sunday.  He's made a special point to ensure train crew volunteers who have signed up to have an equal chance to crew the special steam trains down the Mountain across the bridge Saturday evening and Monday.  I hope he will be conductor on at least the Saturday train -- he's well earned it.

What–me worry?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:15:00 PM »
Bill, Thanks. Your check is in the mail.

(Now back to formatting the operating plans. I'm currently trying to get the spiking crew back to work without hiking down the mountain on Sunday.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:16:37 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Bill, Thanks. Your check is in the mail.

Thanks Ed.  Expecting a bonus beyond our prior agreed price.
What–me worry?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »
I have published the Operating Plans for FWW. Crew members can access them via the Crew Sign Up Sheet, or via email.

The main plan is to lay rail and spike through noontime on Sunday. Sunday afternoon and Monday will be primarily spiking. Of course, there will be other projects going on, but the main effort is to construct the mainline as far north as possible - stopping about 200' short of the pavement of Route 218.

For the general volunteers, here is the anticipated train schedule:

Friday 10/11:
First Work Train Departs Sheepscot: 7:30am
Second Train (Crew Shuttle) Departs Sheepscot: 9:00am
Other trains will be shuttling crew during the day in both directions.
Lunch at ToM at 11:30am
Last train from EoT around 4pm.
Dinner at Sheepscot at 5pm.

Saturday 10/12:
Breakfast Available at Sheepscot
First Work Train Departs Sheepscot: 7:00am (Note early departure time!)
Second Train (Crew Shuttle) Departs Sheepscot: 8:30am
Dinner at Sheepscot at 4:30pm. (Note early dinner time!)
Awards/Thank Yous at Sheepscot during Dinner; photos with all volunteers.
Evening "inspection" train to and over Trout Brook Bridge (first run over the bridge with #9) departs Sheepscot at 5:15pm (Weather and conditions permitting.) Photo Ops at End-of-Track. Etc.

Sunday 10/13:
Dinner at Sheepscot at 5pm.

Monday 10/14:
Last train from EoT around 11:30pm.
Lunch at Sheepscot at 12:00pm
Following Lunch: "Inspection" train over Trout Brook Bridge to new End-of-Track (first run to Trout Brook station/RT 218 with #9) departs Sheepscot (weather and conditions permitting.) Photo Ops at End-of-Track. Etc.

Note the two special runs on Saturday evening and Monday afternoon will be the first steam trips (non rail-laying trains) over the newly laid track. However, these trips are subject to the suitability of track conditions - which may not be ideal according to the current weather forecast.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 02:13:05 AM »
Well done Ed for your backstage work. Been there done that on the AMTP. I do know it's a bit frustrating to be  dispatcher on such an outstanding  day locked in the depot office, close to the phone hoping that everything you have thoroughly planned an prepared will go smoothly. I second Bill when he said  you'd deserve to ride the  Saturday's special in the evening.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 07:31:42 AM »
Ed and Jason,

Great work! 

Ed,

I checked the Forum before I went to bed about 11:30 and it still wasn't up. 

On another note, I managed to get both Free Little Library's into the car and there is still room for me and the cooler for the 14 hour drive which starts in a half hour.  Thursday when I arrive I just hope I can remember how to get them out of the car without taking a chain saw to them.

I also remembered at the last moment to put in the 10 extra TRIG's that I made.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
HI Bill !Wow! A 14 hour's trip.   Sure the States are a large country. I hope everything is ok. Drive safely you're gonna live an unheard -off event in Alna . I'm gonna be glued to my computer to live it. Make the most of it!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »
Alain,
Thanks, safely tucked away in a motel after 10 + hours of driving so I can be at the RR by late morning tomorrow.