Author Topic: Head Tide Station  (Read 11935 times)

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Head Tide Station
« on: October 01, 2019, 03:42:49 AM »
Head Tide continues to be my favourite wayside station. It is my ambition to ride a steam train there, one of these days.

The accompanying image shows the idyllic location of Head Tide. The business-like nature of the station and its positional relationship with the historic and famous Head Tide Church can be seen.

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Head Tide Station
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:06:50 AM »
More on the Head Tide Church building here:

https://www.alna.maine.gov/head-tide-church

The page linked above is part of a group of pages about historic features in the Alna area.   Note that one of the other pages is about the Trout Brook Preserve Trail, and that page mentions the WWF Railway, and even includes a 1951 photo of the remains of the bridge.

See the links on the left side of the page above, or here is a direct link to that Trout Brook Preserve Trail page:
https://www.alna.maine.gov/trout-brook-preserve-trail
Graham

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:05:12 AM »
Very interesting, thanks Graham.

The community effort to preserve the church is admirable. The cultural importance of it cannot be overstated.

I note, from the Midcoast Conservancy map, that its Blue Trail and the WWF Right of Way partly coincide. I imagine that will eventually necessitate some compromise. The existence of the Trout Brook Preserve is a great thing.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »
It is planned to relocate the Midcoast Conservancy's trail to the west side of the ROW as part of our preparations to begin train service in Spring 2021.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:25:25 PM »
I take it that we have agreed to do the relocation for the Conservacy?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
The photo makes it appear that the station was on the property of the Red Cottage?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Jeff - I believe there is a tentative agreement for this. The details are still being worked out.

Dave - No.
Hide Tide Road - which is where the Red Cape abuts - is on the embankment in the mid-upper right side of the photo.
The Red Cape (which pre-dates the Railroad) is out of sight behind the barn and out of the frame.

I like this photo a lot as it answers some questions about the Head Tide station site, specifically how it was accessed and that it was a fair distance away from the actual village.

I wonder what that small shed adjacent to the tracks is. I've never noticed that before.

Also note the flatcars on the siding. The freight door of the station is open. Is that a person standing on the platform?

The photo has "37" imprinted on it. Might be 1937? If so, where are the cars from the Whitefield wreck? (Weren't they re-railed and pushed to Head Tide to languish?)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »
That shed is a section house.

The '33 wreck cars were rolled to Head Tide, but there's a siding to the left (RR north) out of sight where the cars came to rest.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 06:14:53 PM »
The number 37 is just an identifier for the photo, as one of a series. I have seen others in the series but I do not own them so should not post. This photo, and probably the others that I have seen, is an unused postcard and it was taken from an album because there are some glue marks on the back.

The small shed adjacent to the tracks is the Section Crew hut. It is thus identified in photo No. 38 of the series on a used postcard dated 09 July 1908. The section crew and their hand car are shown.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:19:38 PM by John Scott »

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
Another view of the station.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 07:59:34 PM »
This view shows the tracks (zoom in), south of the church, just as they are about to enter the cutting. Taken from Rte 218 when still an unmade road. This is No. 12 in the series.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:01:16 PM by John Scott »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
In the first picture it looks like a person on the platform to the left of the station.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »
Fascinating pix (and a bit of history)!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:45:28 AM »
The picture postcards are from the Eastern Illustrating and Publishing Co., which was located in Belfast, Maine.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
The first two images can be found reproduced in the book "Two Feet to Tidewater" but the post card images provide rather better resolution. The book has additional related Head Tide images. Studying all of the available images, together, allows a good understanding of the way this wonderful location appeared 120 years ago, when the trains were running strong to serve a thriving community.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:54:05 AM by John Scott »