Author Topic: The Franklin, Somerset & Kennebec Railway (FS&K)  (Read 217479 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: The Franklin, Somerset & Kennebec Railway (FS&K)
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
Yes, Linda talked about it last night at the board meeting, and she is making the trip to meet Glenn very soon.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Phil Moberg, Jr.

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2021, 03:40:44 PM »
Long story short, I've been intrigued by the FS&K map from Two Feet Between the Rails since I firat saw it, bac, in the '90s. The western end of it seemed to track very well with the western end, and the eastern end seems to track very well with the surveys plotted by Paul Levesque a couple of years ago. what also intrigued me is the circles marking the named places. I'd seen this sort of thing before in railroad historyie, and despite being marked as not to scale in most cases, they generally turned out to have been traced from USGS quads, at least in my experience. When I excerpted the route and overlaid it on a USGS base, it tended to confirm my suspicion, and also resulted in what appeared to be a very credible route, illustrated below. Of course my base map used 100ft contours, which hide a lot of detail; and as those of us who've worked with contour maps well know, the Devil is in the details. I'm now plotting the center section from this, adjusted where necessary to come up with workable grades, and would be happy to share my results if there's any interest in them.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
Very interesting. I think you are on to something. Please keep sharing
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2021, 08:42:27 AM »
Interesting indeed.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2021, 10:38:36 AM »
Some or most of the field notes for the surveying of the FS&K are in the WW&FRy Museum archives.

Bernie

Phil Moberg, Jr.

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2021, 01:27:36 PM »
That's good to know, Bernie. It's been a very long time since I worked with field notes. When I learned surveying, it hadn't changed from Georkg Washington's time, apart from sone of the hardware. Barely a dozen years later, everything was recording total stations feeding CADD systems directly, and field notes were becoming a lost art.

I'd be curious to know how much of the data included the actual route survey. Typically, there were at least two surveys: one to get the lay of the land and another to precisely establish the route. A comparison of these would be particularly interesting since I've noticed some significant inacuracies in the 1894 quads. It occurs to me that there might be an opportunity for the Museum here: perhaps it would be possible to recruit one of the civil engineering programs to assist in getting all this plotted. They would benefit in giving the students an opportunity to learn something that, while they may never do it themselves, they will certain.y have to work with for generations until all the old surveys are digitised or superseded. The Museum would benefit in filling a large, significant gap in the history of the two-footers, and the preservationists would benefit in terms of recovering more Maine history that had been previously lost. Personally, I'd reall lkie to see how close I've come to hwat they had in mind, at least to the extent that's possible.

In the meantime, here's what I have come up withj, subject to being more accurately measured. These images contain the route that appears to make the best fit, at least so far, with whe general shape of Wellman's route. The narrower line is the pproximate center line of his map, which is not as neat as the original that inspired this whole effort, this being due to the coars scale of the original bein stretched over a much wider area consisting of a spherical projection. It's fraught with inaccuracies, but these tend to be minimal the closer I am to the axis of the end points I used.

The route here is my fifth iteration, and comes down to three significant grades, the steepest being about two miles at about 1.2% south of New Sharon, funning up the west side  of York Hill. Hampshire his is the other side of the summit, at about 4.2 miles of 0.73%, followed by Foss Hill, about 3.6 miles at about 0.5%. In general, this would appear to be a very credible prospect, given the state of theart and the state of the budget thay had to work with.

These images work better in color, and I will post them as soon as I can get an image host arranged.

Phil Moberg, Jr.

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2021, 01:28:24 PM »
York Hill Segment

Phil Moberg, Jr.

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2021, 01:29:14 PM »
Hampshire Hill Segment

Phil Moberg, Jr.

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2021, 01:29:40 PM »
Foss Hill Segment

Paul Levesque

• Flagman
  • Too many interests too little time.
    • View Profile
    • My FB Page (this is it for now)
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »
Something to remember when using headings from 1900ish is adjusting for magnetic drift. I think I have had to adjust 14 degrees for the FSK. I have been busy and haven't worked on it in a few months though.
P. Levesque
Fairfield, ME

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2022, 12:01:31 PM »
[Moderator's Note]
All relevant FS&K topics and discussions have been merged into this one thread to ease research on the matter.

Please continue to add to this thread all FS&K-related topics, rather than create new ones.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 04:40:48 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2022, 03:41:58 PM »
  Hello FS&K enthusiasts wherever you are, I check in once in a while.  Yes, Linda now has my misplaced FS&K folder of Farmington Chronicle articles.  I hope that new book becomes a real thing as interest in the Farmington portion of the WW&F has been haphazard at best.  I have lost all the old computer pix of the railbed between F. Falls and New Sharon which were posted here probably more than ten years ago.  Maybe they exist in the archives somewhere showing my day with an old Falls Fisherman as he let me explore the railbed and granite headers still there to see.  He died shortly after we made that trip.  I also hope the pix of the actual blue prints of the Farmington to F. Falls portion exist.  Those are still available to see hanging on an office wall in Farmington,  Contact the Farmington Historical Society as this is a very busy private office.  One of the Main street headers in Farmington is still visable on a side street, can't remember street name but turn off Route 2 by Wiles Memorial and cross to High Street, on left about half way thru.  If that new book becomes available please update this post.  I want a copy.