Author Topic: Visit 9/29/19  (Read 6229 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Visit 9/29/19
« on: September 29, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
Today, the Mrs had previously declared I was not going to be available to go to the WW&F if I wanted to, because it was her day. Her annual age advancement day is close, and she wanted to spend it with me. She wanted to go for a ride and see some foliage..

Found some.

President Sharon Barber brings the Wes Spear #4 into Sanders Station for the 1pm train.

A considerable amount of track work has taken place this year. The main line (right) has been moved slightly to get to the original alaignment.

Looking south from the train.

Car Barn progress, being constructed across from the roundhouse. I heard them say they are using 40 poles to build this, with the corners set in cement. I am unsure if the rest will be.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Visit 9/29/19
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 09:25:45 PM »
They have been making tremendous progress up there this year. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Klare

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Narrow Gauge Films
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
Mike,

Your spin on your wife's day has my admiration. When it's MY wife's day it usually involves me seated on a couch having conversation with some really uninteresting people!

-although I guess the three of us in Sheepscot this Annual Picnic just may count as MY day!

I like your pictures! When I was about 25 my friend and I camped a week at Phillips just before Old Home Days: tented next to the north abutment of the covered bridge. We earned our keep by helping them to paint caboose 556 and Ariel's boiler.

We used to go there twice a year and have a lot of great memories!   

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
I have figured out that talk is cheap. A picture with a brief description tells the story much better.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the report and photos Mike.  It's time for Sue and me to go up there again - maybe for Old Home Days next summer unless Sue has a college reunion (UM Farmington) coming up.  Hey I'll be retired and MAYBE have some time for more than one trip.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
When I was about 25 my friend and I camped a week at Phillips just before Old Home Days: tented next to the north abutment of the covered bridge.

My brother and I hiked the Appalachian Trail, finishing about 13 years ago (age 65).  One day we reached our planned camping spot about mid afternoon and decided to continue hiking north, figuring we would come across a good camping spot in a few hours.  As we continued, the terrain was mountainous, steep, rocky and afforded no even remotely level spots to pitch a tent.  Just before dusk we descended into a steep gorge and crossed a vigorous stream.  We ascended about 30 feet vertically and, low and behold, there was an abandon railroad grade.  We were in the area where the SR&RL crosses the AT.  We didn't know it at the time, but when I later checked I confirmed it was the SR&RL, about a mile east of where it crosses into the Navy restricted area.  We had a great spot to spend the night on the SR&RL lulled to sleep by the stream below.

On our days off from hiking we would ride the local railroads.  Hence around 14 year ago or so, I discovered the Maine 2 footers and the WW&F, and the rest, as they say, is history.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 11:17:50 PM »
Thank you for this bit of history, Bill. The day you discovered the Maine 2 footers turned out to be a fortunate day indeed for the WW&F Railway Museum!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:11:57 AM »
Thanks Steve, it also gave me a great camping spot for the night in very inhospitable terrain.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 09:27:10 PM »
Bill - hopefully no "ghost trains" ran that night!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »
Bill,

Thankfully not.

Bill