Author Topic: 2019 Fall Work Weekend (October 11 - 14) Track Work Planning  (Read 51421 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Fall Work Weekend (October 11 - 14) Track Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 12:25:14 PM »
As I've said, motivating enough volunteer workers to do heavy labor under the 'time gun' without driving them away is difficult.
Yes, the enjoyment, camaraderie and satisfaction of doing needed trackwork here sounds strong and certainly eases the work effort, per the small amount of spike banging, tie lugging and creosote smoke-hazed trimming I've done.

How to get consistent, unpaid,"full days work" through the whole weekend?
A tough one.

Paul Uhland

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 07:29:49 PM »
[Moderator's Note]
Parts of the B&SR Tank 14 restoration thread have been merged into this one, as they pertain specifically to the Fall Work Weekend.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
Since the Dispatcher will be quite busy, especially in the early part of the day, getting several trains heading out and so forth, perhaps another person should be tasked with directing folks to locations where they can be most useful. Since most volunteers will walk by the chalkboard on the restroom building porch, the "work dispatcher" should be there, rather than in the station. Alternatively, the work dispatcher could also be at the station or even at the shop. The point is to allow the Train Dispatcher to concentrate his full attention on the trains.

In connection with this, if the various crew leaders can estimate how many workers they might need in advance, the work dispatcher could keep track of how many folks are at each job to most efficiently distribute the volunteer workers.

While this is a good idea, I'm not sure we have someone who could serve in such a role (unless someone would like to step forward???)

That said, as in the past, I will likely end up being train dispatcher for one, more, or all of the days. Most of the time, the dispatcher's job is quite boring, so there is plenty of time to "dispatch" crews. But, as you said, the dispatcher is tied to the Sheepscot Station office.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 08:32:38 PM »
Someone requested the dates for FWW.  It is October 11 - 14, the weekend formerly known as Columbus Day Weekend, now called (in Maine) Indigenous People's Day Weekend.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »
Train ops and track construction definitely need to be kept separate, from  safety and production standpoints, passenger and crew safety being the top concern of the dispatcher, efficient and timely track work production the prime  responsibility of a firm, active, head labor overseer, done in time limits set.

Next.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:11:42 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
Hi Paul -
Yes. Which is what we do. Typically I, Jeff S. or Jason L. serve as Dispatcher at Sheepscot station - managing train control, crew needs, etc. The work crews operate separately under the direction of a designated crew leader. For track work, this is usually Dana D. or Joe F.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Joe Fox will have primary authority over all of the track work because he is Roadmaster.  I will be in charge of the spiking crew and will be working under Joe's direction.  I know I will be at the railhead all four days so I don't see who is down at Sheepscot but I think we've got everyone on the same page and those in charge of other projects down there will be helping to direct labor to where it is most needed (which will be the railhead this fall).  We're all volunteers so there won't be any press gangs running around...although...now that I've said it... :)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »
It's official...
I will be dispatcher at SS for all four days of the 2019 FWW. I will be happy to tell anyone where to go. :-)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 07:01:41 PM »
I think youz guyz are fired up!!  ;D ;D ;D
Paul Uhland

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »
Ed

Anywhere but Home.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2019, 04:26:49 PM »
Jason's talked about the boulder or the rock as the limit of track laying.  Well here's a visual reference for everyone.

Looking north:

Looking south:

There's plans to shave some of it off, but I'm not sure what the particulars are or where the centerlines are.  Rick S was up this weekend, so he may be surveying this week.

Dave Johnson

• Museum Member
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2019, 07:00:47 AM »
How often will trains be running to the work area?  I have family members that won’t be able to get there before 9:00 on Saturday morning

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
It will be nice to see the Johnson family again!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »
How often will trains be running to the work area?

It is planned that work trains will depart Sheepscot Station for TOM and EOT at 7:30am and 9:00am on Thursday - Monday.
On Thursday & Monday, shuttle trains will run as-needed, including the most-important lunch train.
On Saturday & Sunday, regular passenger trains will depart Sheepscot for TOM at 10:30am, 10:55*, 12:00, 12:25, 1:30, 1:55, and 3pm.
*meets work train at TOM for Lunch.

This schedule is subject to change based on crew and equipment availability.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »
Is that a bolder or a ledge rock? I know sometimes you can't tell the difference right off.