Author Topic: B&SR Tank 14 - Official Restoration Thread  (Read 54279 times)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR Tank 14 - Official Restoration Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 10:12:29 PM »
Thank you, Start, for the photos. Fine job of photo-journalism!

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »
A detail Brendan pointed out to me on Sunday are the bolt holes showing where the stake pockets on the ends of each side of the car were located before they were moved over to make room for the stirrup steps. This means the side sills are original B&SR wood, which is amazing.
(Flatcar 14 as built by Portland Co. had no steps, just like our flatcar 118. The steps were added later when the B&SR was under MEC ownership.)

The trucks are mismatched, but one of them has Griffin wheelsets with SR&RL markings.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »
So what is the condition of the tank on this one? would it hold water if it was needed?
Mike Nix

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 09:45:41 AM »
how many gals. capacity compared to the one by the tool house? would this smaller one have been used for kerosene?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »
Both cars together would equal a standard guage tank car. For some reason I think the big one is 3000 gallons and the small one is 2000 gallons, or somewhere near that.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
How are the sills?  I see some already have scarf repairs.   There is a spec in the 1895 Car Builder's Dictionary on how to do these scarfs, and also the acceptable location.  They don't recommend repairing the center (draft) sills).   Since railroads interchanged cars, any RR could do repairs, but had to meet specs.   It is interesting that they also had a valuation method for charging back to the owning RR.

Only one side sill appears to be an original. The other side sill and the center sills were probably Edaville's doing. All the center sills had joints inline at the same spot.

how many gals. capacity compared to the one by the tool house? would this smaller one have been used for kerosene?

I measured the small tank yesterday and the tank is 3000 gallons. I just went out and meaasured the big tank and that tank comes out to 4000 gallons.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 07:24:07 PM »
This is from the 1909 Car Builder's Dictionary, under Interchange Rules.   This governs repair splices to sills.   1895 edition did not allow center sill splices, but now they are allowed with a reinforcing timber as shown in figure 9A.    But I read from this that center sills can't be spliced right in the center.   Cross tie timbers are also known as needle beams. 

Rule 65. Draft timbers must not be spliced. All longitudinal sills may be spliced once, with the exception of center sills, which may be spliced at both ends.
Not more than two adjacent sills may be spliced at the same end of car.  The splice may be located either side of body bolster, but the nearest point of any splice must not be within
12 inches of same, excepting center sills, which must be spliced between body bolster and cross-tie timbers and not within 24 inches of either. Longitudinal sills other than center sills where less than 12 inches in depth, the plan shown in Fig. 8 is to be followed. When the sills are 12 inches or more in depth the plan shown in Fig. 9 is to be followed. When center sills are spliced the plan shown in Fig. 9a is to be followed. The size of horizontal or cross bolts shown in Fig. 9a should be 5/8 inch.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:13 PM »

I measured the small tank yesterday and the tank is 3000 gallons. I just went out and meaasured the big tank and that tank comes out to 4000 gallons.

Depending on where you look, the smaller tank was put in service in 1901 as a 3000 or 3500 gallon car. In 1920 the larger tank (5000 gallons, according to a couple of source material) was placed on car 21, then the newer car 14 shortly after.

Then, like I mentioned above, sometime at Edaville the smaller tank was removed from the 28 foot car 22 and placed on the 30 foot car 14, because the larger tank had failed.
Mike

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »
So is the car going to be rebuilt as it was in service of as it came from Edaville?
Mike Nix

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 08:09:58 PM »
It will be rebuilt as car 14, with the smaller tank as it came from Edaville.
Mike

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »
Do historical items tell what was carried in the tank in 1901? My guess would be kerosene. Automobiles and trucks were fairly numerous by 1920, so could it have carried gasoline by then? 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
Kerosene in 1901. An oild company was started in Bridgton and must have done home deliveries. And you are correct about the gasoline. Except the spelling was different then. Gasolene..
Mike

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 09:42:21 PM »
Will this be rebuilt as a tank car, or a flatcar?
Paul Uhland

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2019, 05:58:52 AM »
Will this be rebuilt as a tank car, or a flatcar?

Mike posted this yesterday in this thread:

It will be rebuilt as car 14, with the smaller tank as it came from Edaville.
Graham

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
So, will the new rebuilt flat car be 28 or 30 feet long?  And what will the car number be?