Author Topic: Moving passenger cars from MNGRR to WWFRY  (Read 22787 times)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Moving passenger cars from MNGRR to WWFRY
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
Finally, the equipment is coming together where it should be.  No need of having 2 museums in the same area. The Gray idea should be put to rest once and for all.  The WW&F is the, "new Edaville," done right, and all remaining equipment other than at Phillips should be there.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
It is the long-standing support from many individuals who have contributed their time and treasure to these organizations, no matter the cost or outlook, that have made this collaboration, exhibition and outcome possible. To these folks, we owe a great deal of gratitude.

I hope that those who have offered criticism in the past will embrace this opportunity to help preserve Maine history, and keep it in motion.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »
Well said, Ed.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 06:23:08 PM »
Will 4 be operational under Maine Boiler law when it arrives at Alna?

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 07:51:48 PM »
Are the brakes on the passenger cars from MNG compatible with the WW&F equipment?

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 08:20:05 PM »
Are the brakes on the passenger cars from MNG compatible with the WW&F equipment?

The only car from MNG that's setup for brakes at the moment is the Rangely. That actually has all the components on it for hand brakes, air brakes, and vacuum brakes.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
#4's is out of service for now.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:39:16 PM by James Patten »

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »
Both those videos were fascinating. I wonder, does anyone have contact info for the owners of those "original" trucks? Maybe one of them would like to try for the hat trick...
;D

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
B&SR coach 16 coming up I295 in Falmouth.

https://youtu.be/06i1HNNvXO0
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:30 PM »
The resolving power of my computer screen isn’t good enough for me to be sure, but it looks as though a cable may be used to winch the cars up the incline onto the flat bed.

When I was an engineering student, in summer 1948 I got a job as mechanic’s helper in the Huntington WV shops of the Chesapeake and Ohio RR so I could be around steam locomotives before they were replaced by diesels. There I saw the winch used to pull dead steam locomotives into the main overhaul building. The motor, drum and controls were all located behind a high, sturdily braced vertical steel plate that was ¾ of an inch or so thick, and the cable was run off the drum through a slot in that plate.

I asked about the armor. Shouldn’t have needed to--by that time I’d had enough physics instruction to know about strain energy. Anyway, one of the guys explained to me that if a cable snaps under the tension of hauling in a locomotive, say one of the C&O’s 2-6-6-6 Alleghenys, the cable ends become wild, lethal animals.

When any locomotive was pulled in with that winch, everybody but the winch operator behind the armor had to get far away or at least behind something massive.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
Postscript to my post about the winch in the C & O shop: It had to have some means of gradually shifting the drum in the direction of its axis as the cable wound onto it, so the cable didn't bunch up in one place, but I've long forgotten that detail. Maybe the set-up was some king-sized version of whatever device is used in a textile mill to wind thread on spools.

Bob Meckley

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
That's good news for both Collections. No private collection or amusement park for any of the Maine 2ft equipment. And most should be under cover by this winter.
Thank you everyone who made this miracle happen..........again.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »
Any photos from yesterday's move?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 11:13:06 AM »
Yes - Pictures please and perhaps a list of what has been moved and what, if anything, remains to be moved.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2019, 12:12:12 PM »
Yesterday, B&SR Caboose 32 was moved from MNG in Portland to the WW&F.
This move completes the "core collection" as set forth in the "Narrow Gauge Collection" Exhibition:
- SR&RL Parlor Car: Rangeley
- SR&RL Combine 14
- B&SR Coach 16: Mt. Pleasant
- B&SR Caboose 32

Also moved yesterday to the WW&F is Monson Locomotive #4. Unless something has changed, #4 is being "passed through" to Maine Locomotive and Machine for storage and (eventual?) restoration.

Today, B&SR SOCONY tank car 14 is being moved from MNG's Gray display site to the WW&F. There will be other similar moves throughout the summer as MNG consolidates its equipment for use in Portland, display, storage, and restoration among the various partners. For example, the SR&RL Vose Inspection Car and B&SR Locomotive 8 are currently scheduled to be stored/displayed at the WW&F.

There are pictures floating around on Facebook. I'm sure our forum will have some soon enough, once the people moving the equipment have the opportunity to do so.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum