Author Topic: Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0T.......  (Read 8150 times)

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0T.......
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:58 AM »
http://narrowperspectives.ukgeeks.co.uk/p46583912.html

Hey all,
I stumbled across this Baldwin/Alco WWI War Department 2' locomotive on a UK site and was thinking, would a design like this fit the stateside profile of a narrow gauge line? I have seen some references to this type being used in highway/road construction, but that's it for the states. I know it was used a great deal overseas and a few are still around.
How difficult would it be to find plans for this class? Since it was a War Department Loco would the plans be in the Library of Congress? I like the layout of the design and would like to find the plans for it.
Thanks,
Rob

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0T.......
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:26:50 PM »
I stumbled across this Baldwin/Alco WWI War Department 2' locomotive on a UK site ...
How difficult would it be to find plans for this class? Since it was a War Department Loco would the plans be in the Library of Congress? I like the layout of the design and would like to find the plans for it.

Hi Rob,

Modeller's plans have been published in a few, hard to obtain publications.  Plans for the Baldwin 4-6-0Ts were published in the book, "The Ashover Light Railway" by Gratton & Band.  This is the best published history of the line and has been out of print for several years.  You might find a second hand copy with a web search, but it won't be cheap..

Drawings of the 2-6-2Ts were printed in the book, "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land", by Dunn.  This book is also out of print and likely to be expensive on the second hand market.

A number of authors report that they have been unable to find actual builders drawings for these locos, but I would never say never.

It's interesting to speculate how these locos would have done in Maine, but with roughly 5,200 lbs. of tractive effort, they would have been the rough operational equivalents of an 18-ton Forney.  Driver-size would be a bit of a challenge as the WWI locos in large part had 23.5" drivers.  But I've seen films of these locos in service and they were quite peppy.  Its interesting to note, some of the WWI railroad battalions actually rostered enginemen with RR experience gained on the Maine Two Footers.

An ALCO 2-6-2T, named "Mountaineer", has operated on the Festiniog for many years.  While it has been massively rebuilt, it has given good service. 

Best Regards,
Glenn

The locos would

Phil Raynes

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:15:07 PM »
If you click on "previous" or "next", you can navigate through the rest of the Baldwin 4-6-0T photos, and also the Ffestiniog Alco 2-6-2T photos - or go to the thumbnail page:

http://narrowperspectives.ukgeeks.co.uk/c1345894.html

As you can see from the Ffestiniog photos, the Mountaineer does her job well, pulling up to 9 coaches up the grade from Porthmadog.

Phil
Phil

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
7mm to the foot scale drawings of the Baldwin type 10-12-D locomotives as delivered to the British WDLR during WW1 appeared in Narrow Gauge & Industrial Modelling Review No.46 (April 2001). Drawings of the same type of locomotive as modified and re-gauged to 28.5" for use on the Snailbeach District Railways appeared in NG&IMR No.56 (October 2003). The publisher is Roy C LInk (review@narrowgaugeandindustrial.com). I'm not sure if he still has back issues, if he hasn't he may be able to provide photocopies.
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine