Author Topic: Car Barn Extension - Official Work Thread  (Read 89110 times)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Car Barn Extension - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
Hope we can put trusses up this coming week. A lot will depend on the weather and wind.

Wind and trusses don't mix.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »

I am sure it is in the plan, but might I suggest a gravel path from the parking lot to the car barn to encourage visitors to see what is there?  Perhaps a large sign directing folks to the static display.

There is the gravel entrance that goes between the car barn and coal pile. This has been solid for a few years, and works well as a walkway. Nice and wide.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »

I am sure it is in the plan, but might I suggest a gravel path from the parking lot to the car barn to encourage visitors to see what is there?  Perhaps a large sign directing folks to the static display.

There is the gravel entrance that goes between the car barn and coal pile. This has been solid for a few years, and works well as a walkway. Nice and wide.
  Thanks Mike, Perhaps we might extend it clearly to the driveway between the restrooms and the Percival house so it looks inviting.  A good sign that welcomes our visitors to tour the preserved rolling stock and, when the extensions are completed, exhibits would be helpful.

Apologies to the team members who are already planning for this when the car barn extension and the exhibit space are completed.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
Even with a path, unless we tell the public to check the Car Barn, they usually don't. One of the "to-do" items is to improve drainage in the car barn. Jason presented me with an idea, I thought of an easier way (somewhat) and we should get it done soon.

We have a walkway plan, including board walks in places, for around the Sheepscot campus. Maybe when we get done building buildings, we can start on that plan.
Mike

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2019, 10:51:04 AM »
Maybe the car barn should be renamed "museum building" with a sign on it. While built as a car barn it is changing into to a museum + car storage. Also numerous  no smoking signs would be a good idea. I'm thinking at all entrances, and every 15 feet on each wall and maybe on stands between the cars.
Mike N.
Mike Nix

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »
The exhibit space will have a large, welcoming barn-style door. Paths (and maybe a small garden) are planned to make the entrance obvious and inviting.

As Mike (Fox) said, we have lots of plans to improve the paths and signage around the campus. We just need to get past the "active construction" phase first.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »
I knew you guys (that's northern for y'all) would have it under control with a great plan.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »
Just weighing in on pathways at Sheepscot.

I think they should be a MUCH higher priority than we're talking about here.  Think about visitors with lessened mobility, families with kids, obvious ways to get from here (mostly the parking lot) to there.

Right now, we direct them from parking to around the back side of the turntable to the ticket office.  None of that ground is level, and varies from grassy to muddy to wet.

I respectfully disagree with Mike that the ground to the car barn is solid and level and inviting.  It's only OK if we want to improve the visitor experience.

Making these good walkways would be such an easy project compared to the Bridge, the Mountain Extension, etc., etc.  I can't see that they are that hard to do.

Bob

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2019, 08:47:35 PM »
Bob,
We would be essentially throwing money away to improve an area before we are done working on it. We have graveled the road to the car barn, eliminating the mud that was there. Room for even more improvement? Yes. But, we are building the extension to the car barn, and I think the planned main entrance will be in the front, with an improved walk way and an easy walking surface. That would be the ideal spot to start, because we will be done work in that area.

I had planned to improve the walkway on the southside of the turn table this year after the electrical building was finished, but neither happened.

We are also planning a board walk across the front of the roundhouse that will lead you to the north side of the shop. That will be a huge improvement. This board walk will have to be rugged, because we all know someone will drive the tractor on it to get to the shop.. This is one that could be started, but can't be done until the roundhouse is..
Mike

Stephen Greif

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »
Have to agree with mike, side walks, paving stones and wooden walkways should only ever be installed after all heavy construction work is completed on a project/area for the foreseeable future. Motor vehicles can do alot of damage to concrete sidewalks if they are not designed for vehicle traffic which increases cost.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 10:45:15 PM »
It sound like the project is in good hands and everything has been thought out.
Mike N.
Mike Nix

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2019, 12:39:54 PM »
Looks like we'll all have to wait for car barn extension work to finish, along with parking lots cleanup, roundhose erection,  before finish sitework can be put in as a single project.
Logical, economical steps at  construction work dictate this way of doing the job.
I think the Sheepscot campus will look much better, soon.
Paul Uhland

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »
Right now its covered with ice! Winter is a little early this year. Lets hope it will melt someday.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »
Mike, you make compelling points that I agree with.  Still, the sooner the better for better walkway navigation around Sheepscot.  Keep in mind ease of walking for visitors traveling from/to both the parking lot and the restrooms.  Not prototypical but essential as we grow as both the museum and the display of the Narrow Gauge Collection.

Bob

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
Agreed Bob. We definately have room for improvements.
Mike