Author Topic: July 2019 Work Planning  (Read 72636 times)

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
July 2019 Work Planning
« on: June 30, 2019, 04:54:06 AM »
As of right now I will be at the museum for Saturday July 6th. Would love to have a tamping crew join me as soon as possible on the Mountain that day. My plan is to leave Sheepscot around 7 a.m. in my vehicle to get a good head start on it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 03:28:37 PM by Joe Fox »

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: July 2019 Work Planning
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:40:13 AM »
Another bundle of ties cut today. Stewart R. gave a helping hand. 420 ties left to cut. Jason moved 5 bundles out to where they can be cut. 1 bindle a morning is my limit in this hot weather.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
As of right now I will be at the museum for Saturday July 6th. Would love to have a tamping crew join me as soon as possible on the Mountain that day. My plan is to leave Sheepscot around 7 a.m. in my vehicle to get a good head start on it.

Hi Joe,

I suggest the crew bring up more jacks from Sheepscot.  There are six on Big Joe, so we were limited to setting jacks for one to one and a half rail lengths at a time, lifting and leveling, then tamping, then stopping to set out the six jacks again, and so on.  This greatly slowed our five crew members last Saturday in the heat.

Ideally if there are enough folks, we'll have two crews -- one tamping and shoveling stone and a second setting out jacks, so the tamping crew doesn't have to stop.  Don't forget to bring the track level -- we did in the morning. (I blamed He Who Likes To Volunteer Me, and he blamed me -- though I will say he tamped away Saturday afternoon without benefit of a parasol Saturday.)

Thanks Joe.  Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.
What–me worry?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
Interesting. I may have to locate the rest of them. If I recall correctly the tall jacks are in the caboose at EOT.

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »
End of Sun., SWW, Dana asked myself and a helper, whose name I've forgotten, to put all the jacks and lining bars that had been set and removed following the tamper breakdown, in the caboose.
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
Yep, I remember seeing them on Monday in the caboose.  Probably still there.
Moxie Bootlegger

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
Kevin K. Please email me. thanks dwight

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 05:28:54 AM »
They were all in there, however we have used the tall jacks since then. So I hope I put them back in the caboose, if not they are likely at Sheepscot.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Another bundle of ties were cut today, thanks for the help Steve and Mark, 9 bundles left however, 1 will not be cut. Keeping them for the switch beyond the bridge.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
On June 13th give or take a day. I went to the caboose and retrieved all of the lining bars and brought them back to Sheepscot, they were needed for doing the ramp track. Upon completion of the track, the lining bars were returned to the track section house. The caboose had 5 jacks in it at that time. I expect they are still there unless the tamping crew picked them up Saturday.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 05:49:36 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of July 6:

* Saturday is Ice Cream Social. 
* Saturday is also a board meeting at 4

While with the ICS it's unlikely other work will get done, we have the following list to choose from:
* Car barn extension
* ROW weed/sapling clearing
* Mountain Extension tamping
* Boxcar 67

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
I will be working the TOM area Friday and Saturday with the dozer and Kubota. The Kubota will return to Sheepscot at the end of day Saturday, with the dozer staying at the end of track hopefully.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »
Another bundle of ties cut to length today with Brendan's help. Hope to do One Friday if not to hot. we've decided to keep Two bundles full length until FWW. We don't want to get any more ties until after that weekend. After their all cut we will count them.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 02:42:11 PM »
* The alarm company technician came to Sheepscot this morning and wired the alarm system over to the cable that runs through the new underground conduit.

* Flag brackets were installed on F&M coach 2 so rear markers can be displayed if the car is the last in the consist.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »
TOM crossover switch was raised, leveled and tamped. Switch now throws freely. (And the train crews rejoiced.)

We also welcomed a new volunteer, Larry, a retired physician who visited us for the first time on Saturday. He was greatly impressed, eager to learn, and will be back. He is summering in the Boothbay area.

No cutting was done today.

Tomorrow, July 4th, I will be hanging out at Sheepscot if anyone wants to swing by and do some cutting.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum