Author Topic: July 2019 Work Planning  (Read 66963 times)

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: July 2019 Work Planning
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2019, 07:04:42 PM »
In getting prepped for next weeks trip north to Maine I made 30 new trigs.  Seems like we are getting short of those things and always looking around for one that isn't chewed up.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2019, 10:07:02 PM »
One of them looks like mahogany. Getting a bit fancy are we?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »
One of them looks like mahogany. Getting a bit fancy are we?
  John, it is just sun exposed clear pine.  I was going to make them out of some white oak that I had around but Jason guided me to the pine so it would crush if they weren't properly removed.  The oak is 5/4" by 4" (not 3/4" x 3 1/2") so I am bringing it with me to donate to the wood shop for their car repairs.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
What are "trigs", are used for ??
Paul Uhland

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2019, 11:11:29 AM »
What are "trigs", are used for ??
Good question.  They are the 1x4's that we put diagonally between a set of wheels on a work car axle or one on both sides of a full size car truck when they have no brakes to keep them from rolling when unattended.  That is unless a car is parked on a grade when it has to be skated, even if it has brakes.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »
Be careful. I almost got some finger tips smushed chunking an old reefer once. Wheel got the tips of my glove. I was young, and green.

Railcars are silent rolling, unforgiving and unbelievably HEAVY.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:07:01 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2019, 09:43:00 PM »
We have a set of rules to follow. Never leave a car unsecure (without brakes or trigged). The trigs are long enough that your hands are clear of any danger.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2019, 09:49:24 PM »
Mike is correct.  One of those rules is that we never uncouple a car unless the brakes have been applied or it has been trigged if it has no brakes.   On any grade we also put the car, or string of cars on a skate in addition to brakes to prevent an accidental runaway. 

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2019, 11:40:32 PM »
Also, as Mike points out the trigs are fairly long, about four feet. Thus, they can be placed with one's hands well out of the way.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2019, 07:36:01 AM »
Per Jason's recommendation, the new ones, like the old ones, are exactly 4 feet long.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
As expected, you guys are WAY on top of things.  ;)
A pic would help.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:08:31 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
The new trigs are already loaded in the car for the trip north.  If one hasn't shown up by the time I get there I will take a couple to post.  There are two ways to use them, (on level grades) one across the rails at an angle under one axle of a small work car so it cannot roll either direction, and for the full size cars, one on each end of a truck so the car won't go in either direction.  Pictures to follow soon.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
Gotta tell a cautionary tale giving a good reason NOT to use a 2 x 4 as a trig in lieu of one-inch stock. This happened on a Saturday morning a dozen or more years ago. At the time, trigs were in short supply. Suitable ones, that is. For some reason I’ve forgotten, time was short for making up the first passenger train of the day.

Diesel 52 backed up pushing caboose 320, for coupling to Coach 3 waiting in the shop. In the rush, nobody noticed that somebody had laid a 2 x 4 in front of the rear wheel set of what would be Coach 3’s front truck in the move to be made. My recall may be incorrect after so many years, but I think the 2 x 4 was only 3 feet long or so. I do remember that it didn’t project out to the sides enough to be seen easily.

After the coupling was made, 52 moved quickly forward with the two cars, and for a while, the second wheelset just pushed the 2 x 4 along on the tops of the rails. But then, somehow the 2 x 4 got hung up at a switch—I think the stub switch. The wheelset ran up and over the 2 x 4 and BAM!!! Down it came onto the rail. Sounded to me like a bomb had gone off.

I remember that Jason came a running to check things out. Near as anyone could tell no damage was done, But no crew should press its luck using improper stock for a trig.

Four cheers to you, Bill, for making that nice batch of trigs from the right material!

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
Today we got a total of 38 usable rails for the Fall work Weekend, and almost as many skip rails or "scrap" rail. Special thank you to Fred, Jay, and new volunteer Larry for their hard efforts in the extreme heat today. We had wanted to do more, but the heat proved to be too much. Hope to make another good rail sorting day very soon.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
It feels really great getting things ready for the Fall work weekend. We're doing a lot of cleaning up around the place of old wood and ties. The dozer is full of fuel, and when firewood is brought back, I'll cut it to length and get it out of the way to be split later.