Author Topic: Maine Two-footer Winter Photo Specials 2020  (Read 26828 times)

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Maine Two-footer Winter Photo Specials 2020
« on: May 30, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »

Maine Two-footer Winter Photo Specials Set in 2020

ALNA, Maine -- The Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway, Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company, Boothbay Railway Village and Maine Locomotive and Machine Works are proud to offer a major photographic event: Maine Two-Foot Winter 2020. It will be The Grand Reunion of equipment, much of which hasn't been together in nearly a century.

The gathering will take place at the Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington Railway at Sheepscot Station, Alna, Maine. The event will take place on January 18-19 and February 6-7, 2020. Four steam locomotives will be featured, as well as a special collection of passenger equipment, including the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad parlor car "Rangeley."

The recent collaboration of the Maine Narrow Gauge and WW&F Railway which brings several gems of two-footer preservation to the WW&F's Sheepscot campus, in addition to the relative ease with which the smaller and lighter locomotives and cars can be moved, makes this event possible, along with the cooperation of Maine Locomotive & Machine and Boothbay Railway Village.

The steam locomotives scheduled are Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington No. 9, Bridgton & Saco River Railroad No. 7, Monson Railroad No. 3, and S.D. Warren Co. No. 2. No. 7 is the one of the largest surviving Maine two-footer locomotives, while No. 2 is the smallest.

Passenger equipment, in addition to "Rangeley," will include Franklin & Megantic coach No. 2, B&SR coach No. 16 "Mount Pleasant," Wiscasset & Quebec coach No. 3, and SR&RL combine No. 14. Freight equipment from the Sandy River, B&SR and WW&F will also be featured.

Each of the 3 original railroads represented by this equipment will be highlighted for historically-based photographic opportunities all weekend. Ticketholders will have full two-day access, which commences with firing up the steam locomotives at 6:00 AM Saturday. The operating program will be divided into morning and afternoon segments for each day, each segment highlighting different original Maine two-foot railroads including the B&SR, Monson, and WW&F railroads.

In addition to all the WW&F's hot photographic locations, we will have some limited and special opportunities to explore the WW&F's new "Mountain Extension," a prime and beautiful example of narrow gauge engineering from the 1890s. Attendance is limited to 25 each weekend, with the two-day pass price of $400. Tickets are available through wwfrytickets.simpletix.com

Two special add-ons are also available. The first add-on is the "SR&RL" Friday, for $150, where WW&F 9 will be backdated to represent its days as SR&RL No. 6. The SR&RL Parlor Car Rangeley will be taken out, along with F&M coach 2, SR&RL combine 14 and other equipment to round out scenes reminiscent of the largest of Maine's t two-foot gauge railways. The second opportunity is the Saturday Evening Photo Session, directed by Stephen Hussar, for $100. A spectacular Hussar session as usual, our cinematographer extraordinaire will have a lot more to work with, given the influx of equipment as a result of our current partnerships.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Maine Two-footer Winter Photo Specials 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that this will sell out quickly.  I'm already trying to change my schedule.  8)
Moxie Bootlegger

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
I would go but I really can't afford it.
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »
Whom do I contact about payment?
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:01:31 AM »
see the bottom line on the advertisement above.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike St. Louis

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
"Freight equipment from the Sandy River, B&SR and WW&F will also be featured."

What Sandy River car(s) are coming? Anything from Phillips?

Mike

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
"Freight equipment from the Sandy River, B&SR and WW&F will also be featured."

What Sandy River car(s) are coming? Anything from Phillips?

Mike

No freight or passenger cars from Phillips.

The SR&RL cars will be combine 14 and the Rangely from the MNG museum, and the F&M #2 coach from Boothbay.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
Actually, Maine Locomotive and Machine's caboose is a replica of a Sandy River caboose.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Meixel

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »
My friend and I will be at the February event!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »

Due to a cancellation, there are now two tickets available for the February 7-9, 2020 photo charter on the WW&F!

When this photo special was announced, the February dates sold out very quickly. Now is you chance to get in on the fun.

Attendance is limited to 25 participants. While no roads will be closed during our event, no portion of the WW&F right-of-way is accessible from public vantage points, guaranteeing a unique and unforgettable romp through the snow.

Special guests under steam will not only include Monson Locomotive 3, but Bridgeton and Saco River locomotive #7 - its first visit to the photogenic and historic WW&F railway. Static displays will also include B&SR #8 - just arrived on the WW&F rails from its long (and virtually inaccessible) slumber.

Get your tickets NOW at:
https://wwfrytickets.simpletix.com/e/44025
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:26:56 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 01:59:45 PM »
I note that several posts mention they can't afford it. The price is pretty steep for young working people and retirees on fixed incomes.  Members, and especially Life Members, ought to be given a discount and first dibs on reservations.  Beyond that, perhaps a lottery system could have given away a limited number of tickets.
  Most attendees will need to stay overnight in a motel which will add greatly to the total. 
  Maybe change the name of the event to, "Maine Two-footer Money Specials"?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:02:56 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
The pricing is in-line (actually MORE affordable) than other photo charters of equivalent quality. The fact that they are sold out (actually one ticket just became available due to a medically-necessary cancellation) is proof that the pricing model for these types of events is correct.

I agree that the cost seems exorbitant - but that is what the market is baring.

That said, this photo event (and those like it) are also quite expensive to produce - in both physical cost and volunteer labor. Start with the cost of moving #7 in for a couple of weekends, and add in the labor required to keep the railroad open all winter, and you begin to see that the revenue generated is not the windfall that it appears at first glance.

We have some member-oriented specials lined up for 2020. Let's just say that the May 2020 Annual Meeting is one that members will want to plan on attending...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:08:20 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
The way that I look at it is, "Yes, the cost seems high, but those funds that the Museum harvests from that event is money that they don't have to get from me." :o

In other words, I get a benefit without paying. :)
Graham

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
I would add that there are two "Steam and Sleighs" events scheduled, one in January and one on February that will provide excellent riding and photography for our normal prices. These events will not have the special motive power and rolling stock, or prepared photo scenes, but will otherwise provide a wonderful experience that all can enjoy.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »
Good points John & Graham.

Also, not to belabor the cost of a high-end photo charter, I will note that the one and only issue raised about the price of the event (within this thread at least) was from someone who wanted to set up a payment plan. We did accommodate this request (for at least a few individuals) so that we would be able to have them join us.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum