Author Topic: Event Pavilion for Alna Center - Official Reassembly Thread  (Read 141213 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Event Pavilion for Alna Center - Official Reassembly Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
Holy Guano Batman !!  Maine Power is going to ask us to move transformers for them if we keep this up.
Moxie Bootlegger

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »
Once the Pavilion is finished, it might be nice to find a place where some of the history of the 'corn canning factory' similar sheds could be presented, along with some historical photos, and some of the Pavilion's move and reconstruction. Mike's photo of the loaded trusses in Sheepscot, and a similar photo of the trusses arriving in Alna Center by rail 8) would make good candidates for a Pavilion History interpretive board.

Graham

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2020, 09:15:01 PM »
Holy Guano Batman !!  Maine Power is going to ask us to move transformers for them if we keep this up.
speaking of Maine Power and looking at how tall those trusses are it is a good thing that the only power lines we cross under are the high tension ones.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »
15 feet from rail head to peak. We have 3 private lines to cross under, which all *should* be well above that. So we shall peocede slowly under those 3. Janes's way, Sheepscot Mills and Trasks, in that order. I had forgotten about Sheepscot Mills until Jason reminded me.

We could be much lower on the car, but I thought of a way to get some or most of the weight off of the end sill, and used ties to do it. Quite a bit of thought and prep there, and I am in hopes the picture taken when it arrives at AC looks about the same.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »
There's a really low branch right in the middle of cockeye curve that's been looking prime since the end of the summer. It definitely looked lower every day I was there so it might not clear 15 feet.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2020, 08:45:54 AM »
Hello ! Thanks for the picture of this impressive and outstanding load. An other proof of the obvious usefulness of that railroad. I can't wait for the following pictures.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2020, 11:29:15 AM »
There's a really low branch right in the middle of cockeye curve that's been looking prime since the end of the summer. It definitely looked lower every day I was there so it might not clear 15 feet.

We got under it without needing to take it down. The trusses have been delivered to AC. Photos to follow...
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »
After cleaning the yard, some switches and moving 4 cars off the ramp track, we had hooked onto the tallest load ever transported by the railroad, and the first load of 2020. A merry band of shovelers accompanied me, also serving as brakemen when needed.

Onto the Main, Ed has thrown the switch lining the North Yard switch back for the main line. Even though we were the only train on the line and I had signed out as distpatcher, we have a rule stating all switches are to be left lined and locked for the main when left unattended, except the crossover switch at TOM, which is left lined for the siding as a safety. Time is 9:21.

Making decent progress, we had made it through Jane's Way, Brook Crossing and were approaching Sutters when Ed said there may be a clearance issue. This pine limb was close. If it would have had snow on it, it may have rubbed.

Next up was Bills Branch on Cockeyed curve. I did not take a photo going north, so I stopped and got one going south. The branch is only about 14 feet from the rail head, but I crept up to it, and eased north, and we all watched the branch ride up over the top. Dave was impressed.

Continuing North, we stopped and cleared the crossing at Sheepscot Mills. We made short work of it, and proceded north again, this time stopping while spanning Humason Brook.

Alna Center, on the siding. Time is 10:14.

So, we returned south and had lunch. Back to it after lunch, I was trying to decide the best way and safest way to unload. So Fred suggested this again. Brendan and I talked about this on Thursday, and so it is what we did.

Fred told Brendan he was needed at Alna Center, so he brought him back and Brendan helped me unload.

Brendan ran the Case loader and picked up the bundle. Once we knew it would handle it, I undid the chain and Brendan lugged them over and set them near the trees by the entrance to the site. I unfortunately did not get a picture of that. It was a sight. I moved the crane truck back and picked the bundle up and Dight helped me set them on blocks, then chained them to the tree.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:15:54 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2020, 12:46:45 AM »
Bravo, guys! A challenging job, well done!

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2020, 02:15:17 AM »
Thanks for those outstanding pictures of a one-of-a-kind transportation. Even in the thick of winter there is always something amazing going on in Alna. Well done folks.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2020, 09:35:11 AM »
Thanks for the photo documentary. It must have been quite a trip north.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2020, 08:42:14 PM »
A few more photos of the rail trip north for the trusses on Saturday.

Dave Buczkowski poses with his track broom in front of the train just south of Sutter's crossing.  We stopped at every crossing to shovel and verify there was no ice.  The mild weather has been kind so far this winter--no serious ice was found on this trip.

The train has arrived at Alna Center, and its crew (Dave B., Ed Lecuyer, James Patten, and our engineer Mike Fox) are busy shoveling the crossings.  I was working hard taking photos.  The large mound on the right is the ballast delivered this fall for Spring Work Weekend 3-1/2 months from now.

Here's how far Mike has gotten with the pavilion reassembly, before winter weather ended ground work this season.  The trusses delivered Saturday will be installed over this section of the building.

The trusses were unloaded in the afternoon, as Fred supervises.  I had joined James (engineer) and Dave to open the rest of the line to Top of the Mountain, and we had stopped on the return trip to watch the operation. 
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2020, 09:14:20 PM »
Thanks Bill.
Mike

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »
So what's the next move for WW&F Constructors, besides starting Alna truss work?

Great work, pics.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:27:54 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2020, 07:16:00 AM »
We will finish this phase of the project then maybe move on to something else before spring, then return to the Pavilion when the ground thaws..
Mike