Author Topic: Event Pavilion for Alna Center - Official Reassembly Thread  (Read 139534 times)

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Event Pavilion for Alna Center - Official Reassembly Thread
« Reply #465 on: June 06, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »
Looks good Mike

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 06, 2021, 04:27:32 PM »
  Mike,  Is there a plan to compact the new floor material in the pavilion, or is that necessary ?  Your leadership is greatly appreciated on the following project , which took several years to complete to its present stage.      Fred L. Kuhns                                                                                                                                                                                             

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 07, 2021, 05:35:45 AM »
We could have contractor Jeff roll it, but it is easy to walk on as is. After it settles we can smooth it up again very easily.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 07, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
One of the planned musical performances could be an Irish Step Dancing group.....

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 07, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »
Mike, just FYI for us older guys, the more compact it is, the better for our tired legs to negotiate...so consider compacting.

Bob

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
We are also obligated to be able to accommodate persons with disabilities.  That means the ADA boarding ramp that is being worked and also hard surfaces from there to and into the pavilion so persons in traditional wheelchairs can be handled without special provisions.  This will be important if and when we ever get into the tour-bus loop.  Hence my advocacy for either an asphalt or concrete floor in the pavilion. 
Moxie Bootlegger

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2021, 10:54:23 PM »
Hence my advocacy for either an asphalt or concrete floor in the pavilion.
I suspect that only a small area would have to be hard-surfaced.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2021, 06:42:16 AM »
I believe we can have a floor that will be solid enough and meet the ADA requirements without the asphalt or cement. But if we decide to do either of those, that is a ways off.

Our next project for this will be some durable benches and tables. And a place to store them.
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2021, 07:01:14 AM »
Once the shop is finished with the newly acquired "shed" annex, it would be ideal to move to AC and become the storage shed for the pavilion.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »
I expect that shed to be freed up several years from now. Fred and I were looking at the same type of shed, but the guy we want to use is not taking any more orders due to lack of help. We could design and build our own for the same or less money. Or close in one end and have a room there, but I like how open the Pavilion feels currently so that may be less likely.
Mike

Richard Cavalloro

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 08, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
Have you looked into Jamaica Cottage Shop in Vermont?   They offer precut ready to assemble or prebuilt structures and I believe free delivery in New England.
   Rick

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 08, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
Regarding 'rolling' the gravel applied to the Pavilion floor, an ordinary car/truck with regular tires makes a decent "roller".

I had some "pug" delivered and spread (by a dump truck) on a steep part of my driveway. Pug (a mix of crushed rock, lime and water) is delivered moist and requires 'compacting' before it dries out.  I simply 'rolled' it with my car tires, paying attention to where the tires were on each subsequent pass. Easy to do, and a year later I am pleased with the pug surface durability.

My point is not to promote 'pug', but to relate my experience with compacting crushed rock with a car.  :)
Graham

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 08, 2021, 08:54:08 AM »
Yes, I have rolled several things with a car, truck, dump truck, used a hot top roller on my driveway a couple of times, the kubota excavator, and even a tractor trailer. I was thinking of using the museum 1 ton, but it takes time. I have only a couple hours Saturday this weekend to get done what I want, and will probably have to return Sunday to do it. Rolling can be done any time.

As for Jamacia Cottage, thanks for the info Rick. I will look into it. That would make things quick, though I am not sure we need quick. Always good to have ideas though.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 08, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »
Like I said.. Ideas... We were talking about a wood shed, and how neat this would look. It would fit right in..

Mike

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 08, 2021, 06:46:25 PM »
That would be a perfect auxilliary support shed.  Don't close in the open-ness of the pavilion!