Author Topic: May 2019 Work Reports  (Read 44186 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: May 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 18:

* Mountain Extension: We got a late start, but started right up when we got there.  Unfortunately we only got about 30 feet or so and the tamper broke - the squeeze air cylinder broke (see picture below).  Took the first train back, then drove up after lunch and hiked in with tools to remove the cylinder, then moved the tamper to the mill siding at the top of the hill.
* Drainage: During the week we acquired a catch basin, Brendan dug a hole for it and for the drain pipe, and he and Mike put the pipe in and filled things back in.
* Boxcar 67: Has been moved into Bay 2 of the car shop.  Zack and Stewart set up scafolding to work on getting the doors on.
* Trains: Today was the 21 Campaign special train, and tonight is Jason's talk on the Narrow Gauge.

The broken cylinder.

The catch basin.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 18:

* Mountain Extension: We got a late start, but started right up when we got there.  Unfortunately we only got about 30 feet or so and the tamper broke - the squeeze air cylinder broke (see picture below).  Took the first train back, then drove up after lunch and hiked in with tools to remove the cylinder, then moved the tamper to the mill siding at the top of the hill...

Thanks James.  He Who Likes To Volunteer Me also likes to blame me whenever the tamper breaks, but I wasn't in Alna this weekend.  Was Dave there this weekend?

I do plan to be at Sheepscot this coming Saturday, and if a small crew and tamper are ready, I can join the crew.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2019, 08:44:56 PM »
Also, the power line to the garage was mostly buried in conduit to be ready for when Josh has time to finish it.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2019, 06:26:54 AM »
Current plan for next Saturday is to ballast if the tamper is not available. I would like to do this as early as possible as there are some spots on the main line I want to hit. During train time we may test out the tie changer near Sheepscot.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2019, 08:20:50 AM »
Some of the catch basin install yesterday. It went fairly well with the help of Brendan and the borrowed machine (for the car barn extension work) of Chesterfield Associates, and a few others that lended a hand in passing, or as they checked on us.

This is the first of several that I plan to put in the parkinglot, and there are plans for others around the campus to tie things together where possible.

Brendan checking the level on the basin, as I set it with the boom truck.

Once the basin was set, Brendan dug the trench for the pipe.

My one action shot. Brendan is backfilling around the basin, and I had used our Kubota to fill over the first full length of pipe. My truck in the background is in no danger (objects are further away then they appear).

Finished product. Long day but it is done. The cone on the left marks the end of the new siding that will be built soon.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
Alas, it was me at the helm when Tampforce One gave up the ghost. It was probably due to not having brakes which was caused by, how do I put this, a prior operator who was not present Saturday....
Hopefully Tampforce One will make its way to Sheepscot for some much needed maintenance. The umbrella was, however, in fine working order.
Dave

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:57 PM »
If we do ballast, we probably need the flatcars to be filled during the week, as Alna Center will be the site of the WWI re-enactor's camp next weekend.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
Well done.

So, currently:
*car barn expansion to start
*storage/display spur survey
*loco 10's rebuild continues
*boxcar 67 gets its doors hung and awaits special metal roof install
*spot  trackwork maintenance and continuing Mountain Extension ballasting/ leveling
*the tie puller will make its debut
*Sheepscot drainage work
*Alna Center activity
*road trailer rebuild
*Run trains

Whee!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:50:21 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 04:19:02 AM »
Don't forget, pavilion at Alna Center and NEW Pass. car.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:24 AM »
Track work for Saturday May 25th:

Two trains are running on Saturday so I would like to have the ballast train leave Sheepscot around 7:30 so we can ballast some areas on the main line and return the diesel by 10. With the loss of our work train I am thinking we may test run the tie changer in the yard, then head North to tamp after lunch depending on crew and equipment availability. So much to do, so little time.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
Saturday's evening train coming into Alna Center.

3D topographic models of the mountain made by Ed Lecuyer for Jason's talk on narrow gauge railroads. One model shows the WW&F alignment down the mountain and the the other model shows what a standard gauge alignment down the mountain would look like. The standard guage model is in the foreground

Train coming back to Alna Center after going to Top of the Mountain to run around.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 02:25:29 PM »
Joe, you have Two flatcars of stone at the TOM, get your crew together for Sat. Do you think the 1918 soldiers will help. Ha,Ha!!

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
Let's see...… I'm a 1918 era soldier and I have a choice;  shovel in ballast or dig foxholes and trenches?  Easy decision if you ask me !    :o
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2019, 11:10:42 PM »
Be careful...some developer might swing by and try to put up country condos after offering to buy the WW&F!  ;)
Paul Uhland

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2019, 12:01:44 AM »
Ed, those topographic models are most interesting. They also appear to have made use of Bill Baskerville's chute design if I'm not mistaken.