Author Topic: May 2019 Work Reports  (Read 44187 times)

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: May 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
More wood splitting today. Have to do it while the sun shines. Like making hay. Some of the wood is only good for the bon-fires at Alna Center. Can't put any more between the tracks, got to find another place. We do need a lot more help during the week. If we don't get it were going to fall behind on all our projects. I'm not kidding. Even Jason is getting a little concerned. I guess the best people we could get are the ones that tell us how to recruit people.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »
As I read of all the new RR projects over the last few months, I was hoping you guys would not be overwhelmed with work while running passenger traffic.
Looks like your priorities are correct.
Good luck.
Paul Uhland

Richard Cavalloro

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
What days are best to come up during the week?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 11:48:24 PM »
Tuesday and Wednesdays are the best volunteer days with some work on select Thursdays and Fridays.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:16 AM »
I guess the best people we could get are the ones that tell us how to recruit people.

That gives me an idea. Thanks Fred!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 12:53:57 PM »
Jason has created a list of projects, but not in any priority. We get done what we get done. Priority being the Car Barn Extension. That should be the focus of the contracted leader of that project. Organizing the help needed to complete the extension. At the same time, Jason and the shop crew plan to focus on brakes and getting back into #10.
I will be working on the Mountain, with little extra help needed, but will take a hand or another operator if one shows up. It won't be near as intense as last year.

Pavillion work is not as important as everything else we have going, but definately high on the list. I would not even mind kicking it a year. Plus the normal maintenance over the summer. Nothing we can't get done. Eventually.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Rick Knight

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
Is Jason's list published anywhere ??? I would certainly like to help on #10 seeing that Paul and I woke it up from a very long slumber some years ago. We had a heck of a test trip at Edaville late at night. Rick.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Is there someone who should be notified if showing up for Tuesday and/or Wednesday? Or just show up and see what is going on?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
Just arrive any time on Tuesday or Wednesday. No special request or notices are published. View Tuesday & Wednesdays just like you would on a Saturday. If extra hands are needed a notice may go out via the forum.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
Good news! All the wood has been split. Thurs. afternoon Dwight show up and he started in splitting, then on Fri. He worked between rain showers and later Fri. Rick helped him. Today while I hauled some of the wood away and stacked Al, and Leon finished it around 1:30. Thanks for the help everyone. Should be able to get it moved this week baring rain.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 04:20:15 PM »
Fred, you deserve a couple weeks in the Bahamas.
Way to go, Mr. Bunyan!
Paul Uhland

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 11:

* Percival House well: Zack decided it was time to replace the well pump, so that was what he and Mike worked on.  The old pump was about 70 feet down, and was quite corroded.  The new pump is higher horsepower, and is 200 feet down.
* Wood: Fred made another platform, over by the gas shed, and put more wood over there.
* Mother's Day Tea: The noon train took 20 or so people to Alna Center for a tea, and picked them up on the 1:30 train.  The "new" coach, F&M Coach 21, was on the train. 
F&M Coach:

The Tea at Alna Center:

The whole train:

Photos taken with my brand new smartphone, rather than my DSLR camera.  Pretty good quality, I'd say.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:24:58 PM by James Patten »

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 06:15:55 PM »
Kudos to Steve P for organizing the Tea Party.  By all accounts, it was very successful, and sets a precedent for future years.  According to Steve, there were about 30 participants, and we even made a little money on the event.  The moms I saw were glowing!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »
Actually, Zack did not decide to do the pump today, the pump did. It had been bothering for a while, not building enough pressure. We pulled it and found this..

The old one was only about 70 feet down. We checked the depth of the well by tying a weight on my 200 foot tape, and sent it down. Zack spent the morning gathering the rest of what he needed. Mid-afternoon, he was ready to set the new pump. Leon and I helped with setting it back in. This time, it is about 175 feet down.

While Zack was gone, I worked on the dozer. Brendan had mentioned it only ran with the choke full on. Cleaned the sediment bowl, installed a new fuel filter and replaced the rubber lines on either side of it. Still acted the same. So the carb came out and was cleaned. Runs perfect again. Or more like, runs like it used to.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »
Some photos from today (Saturday, May 11th):

We need more wood split and stacked, Fred.

Oh, nevermind.  Dave Buczkowski and Fred Morse stack some of the last split wood on the overflow pile near the three-way switch at Sheepscot.

Earlier this week, Bill Baskerville asked me to get a few photos of locomotive No. 52 with its new handrails installed.  Bill had fabricated the handrails a while back, and someone/some people installed the hand rails during Spring Work Weekend.  Thank you Bill and the installers for this safety improvement to 52.

In shop bay 3, locomotive No. 10's smokebox has been placed on the lathe to secure it while drilling work is underway.

Meanwhile, No. 10's frame and cab rest at the north end of bay 3, with a sign about No. 10's restoration for the public.

This past week, Brendan Barry worked on drainage on the west side of our car barn.  The drainage ditch has been lowered a few feet and a culvert reset lower under the woods track.  Material piled to the left of the ditch will form the roadbed for our new ramp/exhibition track that will come out between our garage and restrooms building.

The view from the north end of the car barn showing a portion of the woods track removed to accommodate the repositioned culvert.  A stub switch will be installed over the culvert to branch the new ramp/exhibition track off to the left of the woods track.

This past week, the shop crew bolted and riveted the frog to be used on the new stub switch on the woods track.

Regarding today's trains, engineer James Patten wanted No. 9 to be turned to face north, so the engineer's position would be on the east side of the train and he could have better visibility to the platforms at Sheepscot and Alna Center.  Today we held our first Mother's Day Tea, with tables set up on the east side of the track at Alna Center.  Here No. 9 is centered on the turntable before it is turned to face north.

No. 9 has been turned to face north, now all set for the day.

The recently delivered Franklin & Megantic coach on the turntable lead at the Sheepscot lower yard.  Brian Fanslau (Maine Locomotive & Machine Works) has performed a handsome restoration of this car.

WW&F coach No. 3 and the Franklin & Magentic coach were set out on the turntable lead in the morning for use on the noon and 1.30 p.m. trains.  Moms and families were seated in the two coaches for the ride to Alna Center and later return.

In the afternoon, No. 9 handled a four car train consisting of WW&F No. 3, the F&M coach, MLMW open car No. 120 and WW&F coach No. 8.

WW&F No. 3 and the F&M coach out on the main at Sheepscot.

As Mike noted, the Percival House well pump was replaced today.  Here Zack Wyllie, Mike Fox and Leon Weeks work on installation of the new pump mid-afternoon.

A couple of notes: 
-- Yes, that's the sun visible in today's photos.  Clear days have been a rare treat this spring.
-- I'm glad James got a photo of the Mother's Day Tea setup at Alna Center.  Families I spoke with enjoyed the event.  Steve P. did a nice job organizing the event. 
What–me worry?