Author Topic: Field trip  (Read 3366 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Field trip
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Field trip has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Steve Zuppa wrote:
So when are we going to explore the line in its entirety? El Nino says we may not have to wait until spring.I'd love to wait for May and have Stewart along but I think that month is going to be busy for him.
Steve

Mike Fox replied:
I can go whenever. I am actually waiting for a phonecall from somebody that knows where the Water tank shed is on Hancock Pond. He says it is a camp. I bet Dana knows. He is the spike walker of that area. I nominate him as guide.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Set a date, boys, and let's give it a try. No leaves, no snow, no bugs (yet). Mike, I think I know which camp was made from the water tank.  The man who used to run the little store at Joe Bennet's old cottage told me which one it is.  It is just south of Bennet's next to the ROW.
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
Joe Bennet's was the big white place? If it was, then yes. I'm heading over to the Historical Society for a little research tomorrow.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
Mike,
See my PM.
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
Dana,
I found it today. And the place that was white is now a tan. I'll have some pics. shortly to post.
Mike

Stewart Rhine replied:
Steve Z, thanks for the thought.  Actually, Cindy and I are going over to  Bridgton Jct while we are in Maine in May.  She has never been there and it has been a couple of years for me so a hike is planned.
Mike and Duncan,  Thanks for posting all those great pictures on NERAIL.  I have learned much by looking at the places you guys have been to.  Keep 'em coming!

Dana Deering replied:
Maybe we could set a date for the field trip when Stewart and Cindy come up in May?
Dana

Stewart Rhine replied:
Dana,  We'll be back in Wiscasset on Weds, May 23rd and stay through the 30th.  We plan on going over to Bridgton sometime between the 24th and the 28th.  Maybe we can get a group together for a weekend trip.

Dana Deering replied:
Stewart and All,
Maybe we should shoot for May 27 or 28?  That would keep Saturday open for those who want to work at Sheepscot.
Dana

Mike Fox replied:
I'm good for the 27th.
Mike

Dana Deering replied:
I prefer the 27th as well, Mike.
Dana

Steve Zuppa replied:
Whatever the majority decides is good by me.
Steve

Stewart Rhine replied:
All,  Cindy and I would rather work at Sheepscot on Saturday so Sunday the 27th is good for us.

RG479 replied:
I live just up the road in Glen NH, and would love to retrace the B&H again. A group from the Walker Collection drove through after the steamup in Harrison. We drove from Sandy Creek to Rankins Mill on the row. A word of caution. The bridges are now really substantial with steel beams under them, but several have quite a ramp on each end. We had two jeeps that could easily make it, but a low clearance private car would hang up. The bridge at Twin Lakes had the steepest ramps
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum