Author Topic: New twist on hand-car rides?  (Read 5882 times)

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
New twist on hand-car rides?
« on: April 14, 2019, 05:54:29 AM »
Anything that allows the general public to enjoy the rails is a good thing. Could this be the thing that slows down the "rail to trail" movement?   
www.railexplorers.net/about

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: New twist on hand-car rides?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:43 AM »
I think they have something similar to these on the Belfast & Moosehead Lake.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Well, a couple of points about these rail bike things.

They are not in keeping with our "era." A two-foot gauge version might prove tippy, especially if one rider is somewhat larger than the other.

I think it would make more sense to design and construct a safety railing to attach to our existing handcars to keep people from falling off backwards. It may be possible to design it to be easily removable for period photos.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:22 AM »
I wasn't thinking of bringing these to the museum, but a tandem 2-foot version would be stable.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
It would be interesting to find out who makes these rail bikes and Stephen's suggestion of a tandem 2 footer has merit.  IMHO this should be looked at seriously for use during non-railroad days that can still being in people and also income.  You only really need one person to run this kind of operation.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »
Having just come in from a ride on my 21-speed bike, unless these things have multi-gear capacity, I cannot imagine folks riding to Top of the Mountain in either direction.

I have suggested several times that the Model T railcar -- which only requires one person for operation -- be available at certain times on days when we don't have trains running. So far, no response from anyone. 

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
When I saw this post I did not think of it being on the WW&F.  What it brought to mind was the group  that is pushing Maine's legislature to pull up the track between Portland and Augusta to turn the rail bed into a rail trail.  The trail now runs along side the rail bed from Gardiner to Augusta.  This rail car could be the answer to saving the rails.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 02:41:15 PM »
That was my thinking, multiplied by 50 states.

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »
The Rail Explorers started operating here in Portsmouth RI last year on the tracks that run along the Narragansett Bay shore line. From what I have seen the operation has been quite successful. Of course they have to share the line with the Newport Dinner Train, The Island Touring Train and the Old Colony and Newport RR.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 06:47:15 PM »
Belfast and Moosehead Lake definitely has this offering with their special rail bikes.  Check out their website for RailCycle rides.  I suggest that several of us try it out the summer and report back.