Author Topic: Coach 8 Seating  (Read 19213 times)

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
Re: Coach 8 Seating
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
What about marine grade covers for the pew pads? We have padding on outdoor seating on one of the dining yachts I work on and they are taken inside every night. When they get salt spray on them we just wipe them off. If they are permanently in the car they should be fine. Don’t use them on rainy days or Victorian Christmas and they would be fine.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »
All of this discussion forgets one fact. The cushions will have a habit of disappearing.

I can see it now - the Conductor is required to take an inventory after each trip, and fill out a report that all cushions are present. If they aren't, the conductor will have to come up with the funds to replace the missing cushions.

This may sound ridiculous, even if Mainers are probably among the most honest people anywhere, but I have been a member of churches which had cushions in a box at the rear of the church to be used on the hard pews, and many of them disappeared over the years and had to be replaced on a regular basis.
Allan Fisher

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
I think the cushions as envisioned would run the whole length of the bench. This is how I've seen "pew cushions" work at several churches; not a bunch of individual pillows - one per person.

As a larger cushion, it would be much more difficult to "walk away" with - not to mention of limited use outside of a long bench.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 09:11:29 PM »
I was thinking that it might be a good idea to put a wide strip of Velcro on the bottom of each cushion, to mate with a strip on the seat itself. That way the cushions would not tend to slide off. I have a sofa and a chair, both with Velcro, and it deters the grandkids from pulling the cushions off! I'd say make them about six feet long so they can be removed for periodic cleaning.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:54:12 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
I had the same thought as Wayne. The cushions would need to be attached to the benches not only to keep them from disappearing but hold them in place against the movement of the train.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 01:01:50 AM »
My thoughts,  cushion covering should consider at least the following attributes: temperature tolerance against degradation from -15 to + 120 degrees F; a method to secure to benches, i.e. ties of covering material; and ability to not stick to perspiring thighs, etc.  Agree that size to minimize departure of cushions is desirable.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 05:48:38 AM »
Simple screw eyes could be used every couple of feet where the seat meets the wall to tie the seat covers to. They would be out of the way incase the padding was removed.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 11:11:53 PM »
How would cushions disappear? You would someone walking off the train with a cushion... it’s a shame people think different on their fellow man.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 11:59:20 PM »
Souvenir hunters.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »
Well, if the cushions are six or seven feet long, it will be hard for someone to hide one under their jacket. And an added benefit, if the sleeping spaces in Percival House are all taken, a few folks could sleep in the coach! Just remember to bring your mosquito netting!

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
Offering some thoughts some of us have developed operationally here.

Generally, we prefer individual seating.  This enhances visitor experience and is generally in line with the two foot gauge travel experience (acknowledging existence of some cars with bench seating on the original two foot roads).

This also gives a clearer definition of capacity.  With defined capacity, we eliminate capacity variation and guessing games, and can offer a more consistent visitor experience.

It’s a decided shift away from “ferry boat” type service and toward experience-based service.

That said- we’ve talked of the need to retain some bench seating.  One thought was to put individual seating on the non-baggage door end of coach 8, while retaining bench seating on the baggage door end.  These are loose thoughts for now.

We certainly need cushions on all seats- very especially those bench seats which remain.

See ya
Jason

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 04:54:05 PM »
Here's a thought. Since it will probably be some time before we get around to manufacturing new walkover seats for Coach 8, how about if we get cushions for it. Then, when the day comes that coach 8 receives new seats, the cushions could be repurposed for an excursion car.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »
Great idea Wayne!  Double bang for the buck.   :)
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
I also like Wayne's suggestion. Additionally in looking at the Maine Narrow Gauge site I see that they have cushions on their bench seats similar to coach 8. Perhaps we can inquire if any of their cushions have disappeared, as that has been expressed as a concern, and if they have a ready source for them.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
Benches in the non-door part of the car are 196 inches long by 16 and 7/8 inches wide. There are holes in the floor indicating that this section of the car once had walkover seats. It probably will again.

In the part of the car where the door is,the short bench is 125 and 5/8 inches by 16 and 3/4 inches. The long bench on the non-door side is 225 and 1/2 inches by 16 and 7/8 inches.

Thanks to Rich Currie for his assistance.😉