Author Topic: Coach 8 Seating  (Read 19217 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Coach 8 Seating
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »
Coach 8 is roomy with the seat arrangement it has. I rather like it. Seat cushions would be an improvement.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 05:06:39 PM »
I kinda like the Edaville layout as described above. Walkover seats on one side, bench on the other.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 06:31:58 PM »
The real question is how was the car originally.  Now if it's an Edaville creation that's one thing, but if it was changed for Edaville, then it should be changed back.  I don't believe that our charter requires us to preserve Edaville.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 07:01:24 PM »
The real question is how was the car originally.  Now if it's an Edaville creation that's one thing, but if it was changed for Edaville, then it should be changed back.  I don't believe that our charter requires us to preserve Edaville.

Coach 8 is an Edaville creation from 1985, believe it or not.  One of their last shop-built cars?  Not sure on the parts source Edaville used (trucks and other metal hardware, perhaps frame).  It was their coach 26.  I think our conversion to accommodate guests with wheelchairs has been inspired.

Coach 8 is roomy with the seat arrangement it has. I rather like it. Seat cushions would be an improvement.

For big events we do need the expanded seating bench cars like 8 provide to accommodate passengers, and I rather like 8 as it is as well.  Whether 8 continues in this configuration in the long term or not our board and shop crew will determine.  I'm guessing our Museum will at some point roster a complete passenger train set representative of the railway 100 years ago, which means no bench seats.  I don't know if 8 would play a role in that.

One thing I have noticed is that in addition to the better seats, the passenger car trucks on 3 make for a much more comfortable experience. The other coaches have a pretty hard ride and the lack of seat cushions exaggerates that harshness, especially for those patrons with poorly padded posteriors.  ::)

I have a well-padded posterior and have noticed the same!

possibly providing posterior pew-style padding for passengers.

Perfect.
What–me worry?

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
What is the total length of the bench seats in #8?  In order to even begin to consider padded seats, that is a critical measurement to assess the costs of potential solutions.  Can someone measure that, or I will do it next week.

Bob

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
Railroad rides rough on rumps can reduce rider retention resulting in rejected restorations.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:40:52 PM by Brian Strait »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
When the new flip over seat frames for new coach #9 ( a copy of #3) are cast. More frames should be cast for use in coach #8.

I agree. Although, I could be convinced that we should keep the bench-style seating in the Baggage/Handicap section of the car (possibly providing posterior pew-style padding for passengers.)
Don’t forget that there is a second door for the other side of coach 8 if we ever wanted to install it.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
I think Bill's point about the need for a higher capacity car is well-taken. However, I also believe that at minimum we should try to arrange for some sort of cushioning on the seats, and at maximum, the primitive benches now in the car should be replaced with benches replicating the seats in some of the SR&RL and B&SR cars. I suggested several years ago that the pair of Jackson & Sharp trucks we received from Edaville be placed under the car until needed elsewhere, but that idea went down in flames. It would have freed up a pair of freight car trucks for temporary use as shop trucks or permanent use on a new-built car of some type.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »
I can't remember where it is on the wish list, but I know there is a proposed budget item for creation of new J&S trucks for existing pax cars and future builds.  But I don't know where it stands currently.  Maybe we should ask MNG if there are any laying around.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 09:20:12 PM »
We had the journal boxes and springs cups cast at Cattail Foundry last year, and the equalizer bars were forged elsewhere. Springs, brake rigging and other components can be manufactured in-house. What we really need for new J&S trucks is wheels, about $16,000 worth. The new parts are for trucks for coach No. 9.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 09:25:24 PM »
Sounds like we have a more pressing need before coach #9.
Moxie Bootlegger

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 10:53:50 AM »
The amount of puns in this thread is enough to bottle up and sell. Packaged popular puns pleasing plucky patrons. :o

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »
How can one not be "punny" when referring to padded posteriors?  But seriously, one of the things that makes the forum fun to read is the punsters (in all their forms) on the various topics.  Being able to make light of one's challenges and/or failings keeps us humble and always trying to do better.  That translates into the prevailing attitude in the membership - humble and always trying to improve - although that may not necessarily apply to our puns.  But it is "pun" times on the forum that I fondly remember consummate punsters like Ira Scribner who have so colorfully graced this forum for many years.
Moxie Bootlegger

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
While there are differing opinions/thoughts regarding installation of seats in coach 8, there seems to be much agreement that padding on the existing benches is desirable. Hopefully that can be addressed by the board and implemented. Here in RI there are a number of upholsters who make seat cushions for boats and could be considered as a source as boat cushions do need to withstand  the marine environment. I also would need measurements in order to get estimates.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 08:08:42 AM »
While there are differing opinions/thoughts regarding installation of seats in coach 8, there seems to be much agreement that padding on the existing benches is desirable. Hopefully that can be addressed by the board and implemented. Here in RI there are a number of upholsters who make seat cushions for boats and could be considered as a source as boat cushions do need to withstand  the marine environment. I also would need measurements in order to get estimates.

It's funny you should mention boat cushions, Paul. I was told some time ago, that some of the cushions from the Kennebec Central cars ended up on private steam launches.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.