Author Topic: February 2019 Work Reports  (Read 36330 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: February 2019 Work Reports
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »
Went for a ride today. My sister had purchased tickets for the 10:30, so the Mrs and I tagged along..

And a couple of shots with Bill and Bob

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Mike

And thanks for the excerpt Graham

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »
Thanks for the pics Mike . BTW how does it feel to be  a mere rider for once ? wwfry.org/Smileys/default/wink.gif

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 06:52:15 PM »
Alain, it was tough.. I wanted to jump right in and help but the crew was all set with plenty of brakeman and Steve P. as conductor. Something he was very comfortable doing. My sister said he had a great voice for it (deep and clear).

I have been a participant in several events thrown by the museum,  but never a patron.. So today I was. But, I did give the family a guided tour. So does that count as working?? We even visited the bridge..
Mike

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 05:36:16 AM »
Steve P is able to portray to a large audience extremely well without coming across as angry or yelling. (Must be his inner teacher)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 06:03:32 AM »
Hello Mike !For sure it counts, you worked as a WW&F special guide for a selected rider party.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I do love serving as conductor, and it is my pleasure to get people to their destination safely, and help them enjoy their time visiting the railway. The not yelling but being able to be heard thing is definitely a teacher thing.

One of the nice benefits of coming into Sheepscot with just the last vestibule on the platform is the privilege of personally thanking each of our passengers for traveling with us as they detrain and sharing a last moment with them.

I find that I don't talk too much about the railroad, other than usually touching on where the railway ran (based on our ticket) why narrow gauge was used, and some of the impacts the railroad had on life. Mostly, I want to know who our riders are, where they come from, why they are visiting us and how they are doing. Railroad therapy, as it were. The personal connection is real- in its day, the narrow gauge had a small number of conductors and they developed meaningful relationships and friendships with their passengers- that is part of the experience I strive to capture.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday Feb 23:

* Mountain Extension: clearing more trees from the ROW.  Somewhere north of end of track.
* Flatcar 34
* Carshop insulation

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
I’m planning on coming up for this weekend, any tools I should bring?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
We should have everything needed for the projects listed. Just need help doing them. 😁
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »
Better late than never on some photos from last Saturday, I hope...

Work ("Steam and Saws") train X52 departed Sheepscot at 8.55 a.m. for the end of track, site of Saturday's tree clearing on our Mountain Extension.  The trip took a bit longer than expected.  A few photos why.

Looking south at Brook Crossing toward Sheepscot.  Snow, rain and an overnight hard freeze ensured flangeways at crossing were encased in ice between Sheepscot and Alna Center.

Looking north at Brook Crossing, as our intrepid volunteers cleared the crossing.

We reached Alna Center around 10 a.m.  From there, the trip was much quicker, although we found this on the north main line stub switch at Top of Mountain.

We reached end of track on the Mountain a litle before 10.30 a.m.  I'll post more photos on the Mountain Extension thread shortly.

What–me worry?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »
Saturday Mountain Extension photos can be found here.
What–me worry?

Brian Strait

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »
I may have just won the award for ugliest thing to ever be seen on the railroad.  That sweatshirt and hat are painful to look at. Haha

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Orange/bright clothing is pretty much mandatory for track work during hunting season. Keep it around; just avoid wearing it on public operating days (especially during photo charters.) See the "Sources for Period Clothing" thread for ideas on appropriate threads.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »
Work done on Saturday Feb 23:

* Mountain Extension: More tree cutting near the end of track, working north back toward what we cleared earlier this year.  Cutting got into the curve.
* Flatcar 34: Zack got most of the stake pockets in.  The car has been flipped (sometime this week).
* Car shop insulation: Jay was working on wall boards in the extension.  Some extra shelving has been put up.
* Loco 10: Rich and Rick scraped off some heavy grease from the running gear.