Author Topic: December 2018 Work Reports  (Read 32992 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: December 2018 Work Reports
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2018, 06:34:55 PM »
Work done on Saturday Dec 22:

* Christmas trains II: We had an OK turnout - ballpark of 75.  Train stopped NB at AC to pick up the Piwowarskis, who engaged passengers with carols on the way to ToM and back, then invited them at AC on the SB trip for warm cider.
* Track work: Ran up the line first thing to check for blowdowns after yesterday's storm (there were none) and dropped Joe off on the way to hand tamp the switch.  He did that and raised the speed restriction to 10.
* B&SR Flatcar: It has been positioned outside Shop bay 2.  A crew was busy removing metal bits from reuse.  The new beams are in Shop bay 2 ready to start getting worked on.
* Shop: Continued work on getting the crane rails up.
* Yard work: This past week Dean Copeland's truck arrived with some sawmill parts.  These parts were removed from the truck and placed near the storage box.  He also sent some wood beams, which I believe that Jason has a plan for.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
Is there any plans for a day after Christmas Weds. work day at the museum?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
You all did enough for one year!  I think you guys deserve a good week off with family and a fresh start after new year's.   :D
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »
Jason told me that there would be work ongoing on Wednesday.

If nothing else is going on, you can help Linda and I count inventory!  :D

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Fred has good experience counting things, like the screws from the pavilion. ;D

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
You nailed it Jeff!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
no.... screws not nails....
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone, have a great day!!!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday December 29, 2018:

* Inventory: "It's the most wonderful time of the year" when we have to count the gift shop inventory.  The more, the merrier!  (and faster)
* Fireman training: I believe that Jason has another fireman training day in mind.
* Machine shop: Keep puttin' up the crane rails and prepping for insulation.
* Tree clearing: I'm assuming we can start tree clearing along the Mountain Extension ROW.  Or maybe it's better to clear at Top of Mountain.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »
If anyone wants to lead the tree clearing, send me a message and I'll fill you in on our self imposed restrictions. I had not had the time to mark the limits of our cutting yet, but I can give a description.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
Work done on Saturday Dec 29:

* Inventory: done.
* Machine shop: Work to continue crane rail on Bay 3.  Also there was work to prep to add additional supports in the main part of the shop.
* Flatcar 34: Zack was hard at work on the stringers.
* Train rides: we had 37 people.  The original purpose was fireman training (didn't happen) and bringing the bridge engineer to inspect our bridges (which did happen).  We then opened it up to the public.  Not bad for "pop-up" event.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
It was a lovely day.  We hosted Wayne Duffett, our volunteer bridge program manager and inspector, Chris Snow, Wayne’s associate who donated his soil engineering services for the Trout Brook Bridge project, Chris’s wife, Wayne’s track associate Brian and his family, Dave Allan (our pile and moving contractor) and his wife Nancy.  Loco crew Joe and Roger hosted a number of cab riders, Bill Reidy conducted well, and Dave B served as a presidential brakeman.  After the Humason Brook inspection during the 10:30 trip, we took the 12:00 to ToM, then walked to Trout Brook Bridge.  Bill covered Dave’s duties so Dave could join us and be all presidential like (he’s very good at it).  We got back to ToM just in time to meet the 1:30 train.  Weather was perfect, and good conversations all around.

The public response after two days of notice was tremendously encouraging as well.  More please!  Great day all around, great close to a great year.

Jason

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »
Many first time riders today, so many thank you's, and best of all, lots of great questions. Today was a great paced day, no set timeline, and it allowed for extra passenger interaction. Well done to everyone who helped make today a huge success.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
Lest the complement go to my head, it was noted by one wag at the end of the day that either position (brakeman or president) essentially served the same purpose - stopping forward progress.
Dave

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2018, 10:10:55 PM »
Bill Reidy conducted well...

It's not often I'm told I've conducted myself well.  Thanks!

Lest the complement go to my head, it was noted by one wag at the end of the day that either position (brakeman or president) essentially served the same purpose - stopping forward progress.

The discussion at the end of the day was along the lines of:
"Dave spent part of the day as brakeman and the rest being presidential.  Which is more important?"
To which some wag (surprisingly not me) responded, "Both hinder forward progress."

Jokes aside, it was a very good day in Sheepscot. (It seems like we've had a lot of those this year!)  There were several young families on board today -- it's always great to see the kids have a fun time.  Plus the opportunity to host Wayne, Chris and Dave, spouses and associates who have done so much for our Museum.
What–me worry?