Author Topic: December 2018 Work Reports  (Read 37339 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: December 2018 Work Reports
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 10:22:11 AM »
I have seen pictures of coal "sacks" (for lack of a better term), in use for railways in the UK and Germany.  Looks like they hold 1/4 to 1/2 ton and lift with straps much like those demolition bags that Waste Management advertises.  Maybe we should investigate use of those until a permanent coal facility can be constructed.
Moxie Bootlegger

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
Did any of the Maine 2-footers ever have a coaling tower or were they all fueled from a coal pile on the ground?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »
Wiscasset had a coal shed where flat cars were backed up a ramp track and hand shoveled into hoppers that gravity fed into the engine tenders as needed. In later years the building appears to have been used for car storage. The coal shed was the building built into the hill side just north of the roundhouse.

Other designs were ground level coal bucket stations. For todays modern purpose there has been talk of a coal bucket station similar to Bridgton Jct or Albion designed to allow for a dump truck to unload into.

As for tamping the ML&M switch I have hopes to do that on Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
The B&SR had a coal shed at Bridgton Jct that was basically a derrick and bucket setup under a roof.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
The KCRR had a much smaller version of what the B&SR had.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
Had the hydraulic oil drained out of the dozer to fix the pump, so I figured it was time to pull the filter for cleaning..

Cleaned it up..

Also cleaned the vents and tank while I was at it. If the vents continue to bother, then we can get new..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:57:12 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
Super Sacks, as mentioned above by John Kokas, may not be a bad idea. There are versions that can be dumped through the bottom. Pick them up by their straps with a forklift or crane, move over the coal space, pull the rip cord, and Voila! coal is unloaded instantly. If we had, say, half a dozen of these, they could be filled with coal and positioned ready to go. They could be filled by hand shoveling or with a loader. Anthracite coal is available from coal dealers in super sacks.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
Thanks Wayne, for the life of me I couldn't remember what those sacks were called.  I'm sure someone knows where they are sold.
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 07:20:16 PM »
Yes, but with a bottom that can be opened, like this....

http://www.bagcorp.com/portfolio/luxury-watch

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »
Now that I know what to look for there's tons of them for sale on eBay both new and used.
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:35 PM »
Work done on Saturday Aug 8:

* Car shop: Brendan and Alan were busy getting one of the crane rails up.
* Fireman school: Steve P, Steve L, and Dan were all fireman trainees.  Roger taught, and I ran.  Since the two open cars were right there in the yard, we grabbed those much to the dismay of conductor Bill.  One trip to AC and back; one trip to ToM and back (so that John could make some measurements), and one trip to ... Cockeye Curve and back (we quit because the blower valve got stuck, so returned to put the engine away).
* Other stuff: Apparently Mike was busy with the dozer, but I don't know what everyone else did.
* Board meeting: not quite a record night but close.  Finance took the prize for the longest topic (it wasn't intentional).

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 10:55:48 PM »
Took some photos today, but I just walked into the house after a 3-hour drive home, so posting will happen tomorrow.  Plus I'm still thawing out from James' trains today.
What–me worry?

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 11:57:10 PM »
To follow on from Jeff, the KCRR used the bucket and crane arrangement to unload coal from barges on the river into the coal shed.  Just an interesting side note...

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2018, 06:06:15 AM »
Some of us cut up the hardwood logs stored against the woodpile since the FWW into firewood for starting the locomotives.