Author Topic: B&SR #34 flat car - Official Work Thread  (Read 40180 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: B&SR #34 flat car - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
Folks,
         i am very glad that people are giving serious thought to the B&SR tank. Assuming the date cast into the tank top 1873, is more or less correct for the time that the Foundry and Machinery Company made it for the Pennsylvania Railroad, that would make it the oldest artifact at the WW&F Museum.  The Antique Machinery web site says the firm existed from the early 1870s until at least 1911. They built lots of stationary steam engines. Both simple and compound.

Here is another piece of the puzzle; I have a picture of the tank car at the Edaville Railroad with the #40 on it. Maybe somebody just put the wrong number on it? B&SR #40 is the flanger, which is now also at the WW&F Museum. 

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:33:45 PM by Ted Miles »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 08:14:15 AM »
I've been seeing Zack's work on different threads and thought there was no car #34 board.  Looked around and finally found this.  For all those who love to see Zack's artistry, please post Flat #34 progress pics here so we don't have to go searching.  And "MR. Moderator", if not too much trouble, if you could pull Zack's progress photos from the various threads - there's like 5, it would be greatly appreciated.  thanx - Zack's Fan Club
Moxie Bootlegger

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
By popular demand, here are some photos of the Flat Car 34 project that were posted in other threads:

Jan 26, 2019, by Mike Fox:

Feb 2, 2019, by Bill "HWMNBN" Reidy:

Feb 2, 2019, by Mike Fox:

3 Photos - Feb 23, 2019, by Mike Fox:

There may be other photos elsewhere on the Forum. There have been many published on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WWFRailway/
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
I apologize for not getting pictures from Saturday. Everyone had left early, so no need for a visit. I wanted to, but forgot.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
All the decking boards were cut and most were stacked at the north end of the car.  The area was cleaned / swept out and the roll of ice & water shield brought in to make seal caps for the stringers and sills.  Once the first set of caps went on, three deck boards were installed on the south end. 

There is a photo of the latest progress on Facebook.

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
How are the deck planks laid over the cross car brace rods and protruding bolt heads?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
Thanks Ed for gathering pictures into one place.  Tried to add the decking picture from Facebook but could not make it small enough.  Can we do something about this silly 200k limit?
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
Here's Stewart's photo of the decking work.  Hope you don't mind, Stewart!

What–me worry?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Thanks Bill!
Moxie Bootlegger

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2019, 08:13:45 PM »
Tried to add the decking picture from Facebook but could not make it small enough.  Can we do something about this silly 200k limit?
One suggestion about that size limit is host the photos elsewhere, and just post a link here. That way the [large] photo doesn't take up an WWF  'server' resources, and if the right kind of link is chosen, individual forum reader's bandwidth usage is minimized as well. Each person who wishes to post a photo can use a photo host / account of with their own login.  My recommendation is to use a "free" account at Postimages.org

Postimages.org takes care of managing oversize image files, and can provide back to the user a variety of linking options.  The one that may  the best choice in most cases is the the Postimages "Thumbnail for forums" option, where a relatively small image is posted 'inline' in the thread, and clicking on that thumbnail image brings up a larger view with more detail (assuming the original photo was large enough).
For example, here is a "thumbnail" photo that is hosted at Postimage.org that I earlier used in a different WWF thread ...

Since that is a "thumbnail", one can click the image to get a larger image with more detail, while those who have limited ISP bandwidth or aren't interested  in photo detail can skip over that option. FYI, here is the earlier thread with that photo in context: http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2687

Note that Postimage.org accounts are "free", and once you upload a photo, all you need to do is copy/paste a link that they provide you into your WWF forum 'compose' message window.  Here is what the Postimage interface for that photo looks like after the photo has been uploaded just to show a different link option:

... the above is what Postimage calls a "Direct link", so use of the  WWF forum "Insert Image" button is needed.   With the "Thumbnail for forums" option used in the first photo, no 'button' is needed, just post the Postimage link in with the text of your message.   Remember, Postimage.org accounts are free.  :)   

There certainly are other photo hosts out there - some "free" and some not.  I don't have any connection with Postimages.org other than as a satisfied user.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:37:17 PM by Graham Buxton »
Graham

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2019, 08:39:21 PM »
I concur with Graham's assessment, as overall master of our website resources.  Fortunately we are nowhere near our disk limit (raising the limit incurs raising the price), but every 200K image brings us a little closer to the limit.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
Thanks Graham.  I grabbed Stewart's photo from our Museum's Facebook page, uploaded it to my free imgur.com account, and provided a link from there. 

I don't understand imgur's long-term business model to maintain their online content, but their service has been very reliable for posting latest museum news photos to our forum the past couple of years.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
How are the deck planks laid over the cross car brace rods and protruding bolt heads?

Counter bore into the bottom of the decking a little more than the thickness of the head of the bolt, making it just far enough that the bolt is not pushing the plank up.
Mike

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »
do the planks clear the rods the same way?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »
Where the rods interfere there is a groove cut in. Just enough for clearance.
Mike