Author Topic: Reviews, Thank You's, and Messages of Encouragement  (Read 38906 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Reviews, Thank You's, and Messages of Encouragement
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2021, 07:48:53 PM »
I gather Brian's caboose now has a gas furnace (such luxury). it looks like a Monitor heater, but the venting is different (no air input).
Brian's caboose 554 now has a kerosene heater rated for indoor use, but it also requires electricity (fan, ignitor, etc.) Unfortunately, the west side of the Davis/Brook crossing slopes slightly above the WW&F loading gauge, which causes the generator platform to scrape the roadway at Davis/Brook crossing; so the generator has been (temporarily) removed. On 1/30/21, the heat was provided by a small camping heater fueled by Colman propane.

Hey, don't we have two cabeese?
We do. However, the consist for "Steam and Sleighs" is already 4 cars (2 coaches, open car, caboose) so to have room for social distancing. Adding a second caboose is not really doable. We did, however, run two cabeese on a Saturday when we had to cancel the sleighs (due to weather) and that was fun. Note that 320, while much more historically appropriate, is really not well-suited for passengers, especially in the winter when the baggage doors can't be open.

Ideally, I'd like to see us put a small amount of effort into doing some clean-up carpentry and paint on Brian's 554 so that we can make this a regular offering. At $125 a run, it is very lucrative.

I see one brave soul rode in the open car to TOM.
That looks like Brakeman Dan in his WW&F MOW sweatshirt.
Yep, that's Dan. For the most part the crew was either riding the open car or on the vestibule. Passenger interaction is kept to a minimum.

I hope these folks will consent to our use of a clip from their fun video for advertising.
They posted it on our Facebook page where at least one member has started sharing it around. While the YouTube video is public, it is not set to allow linking from other YouTube Channel playlists like ours.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:10:05 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »
Another glowing email received, this time for 'Steam and Sleighs to SeaLyon Farm':
I just wanted to let you know our group had a great time!  As a group we try to do different adventures throughout the year.  This one was new to most of us and we were very pleased. [...] We all agreed that the summer concert might be a do, we will keep an eye out on dates and may be back.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2021, 01:29:10 PM »
Via email (from our credit card system)

We stopped by on a spur-of-the-moment ride around with our grandchildren "looking for trains". We had our first experience there last winter and couldn't wait to come back. We didn't have reservations, and were short on time before I had to get the kids back. We were greeted very nicely at the entrance by a very helpful gentleman who heard of our "dilemma" with wanting to ride the train but not having enough time or a reservation, we really didn't think we were going to be able to ride so we were just going to walk around and look at the trains. He suggested that we ride a "round-trip" up the hill to drop off the ones with reservations who were going on the sleigh ride and then ride the train back down the hill. We were ecstatic!! The kids were so excited to be able to take a train ride! He took us inside to see Cindy and advised her of our situation and that we would be riding by donation only. I know that the 3 year old would have been free, however, I was so thrilled to be able to give them this chance that I included him in the donated price I was more than happy to pay. Everyone had a wonderful time (even though it was extremely cold) and everyone is looking forward to "the next time we get to ride the train". This is definitely something we are going to do again and again. "Mr. Conductor" was amazing...as were all we spoke with. The kids really got a thrill when the engineer and fireman waved to them and said hi on our way past the engine. I can't say enough good things about you all. Thank you for what you do, and I will happily continue to support your railway and your efforts to keep it alive.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
Randomly saw this on Colorado-focused ngdiscussion:

Totally agree. [...] I'm also marvelling at the WW&F as it extends its line and goes from strength to strength. Lots worth seeing and supporting east of the Mississippi.

People continue to take note.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2021, 10:11:21 PM »
From February 13 on TripAdvisor, regarding Steam & Sleighs:

'Very accommodating staff, fun ride through the woods Sleigh ride was terrific. Very knowledgeable and willing to share info. Fun for adults and kids.'

5 out of 5 stars.

Well done all!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2021, 10:04:03 PM »
From Yelp, 2/7/2021:
"Great time ! We did a steam train ride and a sleigh ride in the same excursion! WOW. I was in heaven."
5/5 stars.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2021, 05:50:49 PM »
"Best Day Ever!"
Our new friends who produced the "Winter Caboose Adventure" video had such a great time, they came back for the last run of "Steam and Sleighs to SeaLyon Farm".
Watch their video at:
https://youtu.be/ccu3qd1zJNU
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2021, 07:48:36 PM »
I forget just how peaceful and seemingly unhurried things can be. No rushing, just a great time. Thanks for sharing this Ed
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2021, 11:25:47 AM »
Another 5-Star Review on Google:
Awesome family adventure. Friendly, helpful staff, wonderful rides, beautiful scenery and a great deal for 2 hours.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2021, 06:07:58 PM »
From Cathy Simmons, one of the horse team owners:

Please pass along a huge thank you to everyone on the railway! It was great to see people out & about having fun & being able to enjoy this event! We had a wonderful time & look forward to working together in the future!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
Plucked one from our Fundraiser site tonight I thought was interesting..

I just discovered this wonderful project today while exploring your website and want to lend my support. I got to visit your railroad during the 2010 picnic and got a cab ride on #10. I don't remember the engineer's name but Dana was the fireman. I've been a lifetime fan of the Maine Two Footers since reading Moody's book in the late 50s, so that day was a dream fulfilled for me. Hope to return and ride #11 when it is finished, and admire all of you for taking on such a project!
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2021, 08:31:13 PM »
Another nice thank you that came in with a nice donation to "Build 11":
A million thanks to the great volunteers for their achievements. I have really enjoyed attending special events, very well run.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2021, 11:06:49 AM »
Wanted to thank you and the railway staff so very much for a great adventure creating an amazing memory for the family Saturday for the ice cream ride! Stage 4 cancer and other medical concerns were all put aside while the group lived in the moment and enjoyed the train ride, while reminiscing and sharing stories from youth about train rides. The family in the caboose ranged in age from 4-81 rode but became as youth again embracing the good and fun ride you provided, thank you again!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2021, 10:33:11 PM »
Occasionally, we'll get a single review on Facebook or Google following a weekend event. They are always very positive.

However, over the last 24 hours we received FOUR 5-star reviews on Google! All from passengers on 9/4.
While some don't include text with their rating, here are some excerpts from those who did:

Fantastic rail museum doing great work, with friendly and knowledgeable volunteers. Highly recommend getting a shop tour and taking a ride with their 2 foot narrow gauge steam locomotive!

Very fun, kid friendly place. [...] Restrooms near the museum were clean and had baby changing table.

Really worth the trip! We went for the BBQ weekend event and had a great time. Our 5yo really had a blast, and we will be likely to return.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2021, 05:55:48 AM »
From an email accompanying a donation:

We "bought" a lifetime membership a couple of years ago, but we are always so impressed by what the museum and its volunteers are able to accomplish (love the newsletters!), that we felt compelled to make another donation.