Author Topic: Reviews, Thank You's, and Messages of Encouragement  (Read 38960 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Reviews, Thank You's, and Messages of Encouragement
« on: November 18, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »
We received this letter in the mail from a donor to the 21 Campaign, which I thought should be shared to the forum.  Although the donation applies to the 21, the message in the letter applies to the forum and the Museum as a whole.

This donation is in recognition of the tremendous progress your whole team has made in 2018.  As you know, the list of accomplishments the museum has made this year is long, varied and inspiring.  You have an exceptional team of employees and volunteers who worked together to get all of this done.  I only wish I lived closer so that I could donate some of my own "sweat" to help in meeting your goals.

I want to add how important your "Forum" is to keeping my interest and enthusiasm about your progress high.  I read it at least daily.  The many postings and pictures keep me up to date and make me feel almost like I am there.  Without them I'd lose my connection and interest in your wonderful organization.  Please encourage your "posters" to keep it up.

Consider yourselves all encouraged!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 07:04:06 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reviews, Thank You's, and Messages of Encouragement
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
James, Thanks for posting this.  As one who can only get up a few times a year, I also read the forum one or more times a day and follow closely the great progress that everyone contributor of time, talent and money make to our organization.  It helps me continually feel a part of the activities and wish for more.

This Thanksgiving we can all be thankful to be a part of such a wonderful and talented group of people who love trains, history, and being a part of something that will outlive our meager influence on the world around us.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
I am constantly getting notes like this. They are always encouraging and "can't wait to see.." Perhaps this would be a great spot to start posting them..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
I second Bill, thank you James for posting that letter I would not have said more. It has been a real treat for me to follow you all everyday  for a year on the forum and on fb. As I told you when I joined the association a year back I would  have never be , an on -hands volunteer  on the spot cause I'm too far and a bit too old  by now but  watching everyday what you are doing  in the shop or on the ROW  and how commited you guys  are, is very much inspiring. So keep on posting pics and reports about the outstanding work you are doing  to  make your dream come thru.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »
To me, the Forum is the lifeblood of keeping me connected to WW&F, both when I'm working with the weekday crew or when I'm away from Maine for a time.  I totally agree with the sentiments already expressed...it's a remarkable daily connections that I treasure...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »
I am constantly getting notes like this. They are always encouraging and "can't wait to see.." Perhaps this would be a great spot to start posting them..

That is a great idea, Mike. I hope to see more notes of this type.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 11:13:10 PM »
... As I told you when I joined the association a year back I would  have never be, an on -hands volunteer on the spot cause I'm too far and a bit too old ...

Alain,

We are going to have to find a way to get you over to the colonies to see our operation in person and meet some of our other wonderful members and volunteers.

As to being to old, well look at the pictures of us posted on our forum, a lot of us are way to old and should know better... or, perhaps we do know better and love our museum and trains to much anyway.  Remember, age is just a number.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »
One important note, with the exception of ONE contracted employee, everyone is ALL volunteers. Which is absolutely incredible. Everyone has stepped up to the plate this year to accomplish our endless task list. Some of us even doubled or nearly trippled our hours on top of working 40+ hours a week at our paying jobs.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 06:45:10 AM »
Bill, I thank you so much for your heartfell words. I do know that you  guys would be clever enough to envision and make a giant gantry crane to convey me over the Pond into New England. It would be a bliss for me to go over to Alna and meet  my outstanding Stateside family and admire  the countless feats of engineering they 've been achieving  for 30 years. It's on my bucket list. BTW, if by any chance some of you flew over to France,  let me know, I would be looking forwards to meeting him or her and to showing around Pithiviers. 
As for being old , well, to coin a phrase  it's all in the mind, but still, I'm getting over 70 soon and by now trackworks would be beyond my strengh especially my hands one,  despite your smart gantry crane. It's the main reason why I've been the first AMTP  volunteer retiree for a couple of years.To be fair, I must admit that being a hands-on volunteer for 43 years has eventually worn out  a bit my commitment as a volunteer but I'm still a member, a donator and an staunch supporter of that endearing two-footer.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
Alain;
You and Bill are about the same age and I'm only five years or so younger. We have very active members in their mid to late 70's and even 80's. Bill is correct - age is just a number. I believe the Fountain of Youth is somewhere around Sheepscot which is why I bring water back to my home in Massachusetts!
Dave

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
Dave and Alain,

For the record, actually I am a young 74 and a half.  Dave may have hit on the explanation... it is either the water at Sheepscot or the youthful elixir of working around locomotives, freight and passenger cars and with rails and switch stands that are 127 years old or so that makes us look and feel comparatively young. 

When I look around the campus on a work day or visitor operating day I see that everyone finds a task that fits their interest and abilities.  Everyone makes a contribution.  Everyone is appreciated.  Like the forum, that feeling of acceptance and appreciation makes us all youthful again.

As a full disclosure, it is also great to work with our younger members who bring such a joyous sense of youthful energy and sometimes playfulness to our teams.  Their contribution also helps keep us youngish.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
In one of those issues that come with age, I was actually having a conversation about age on Saturday in the caboose and I transposed that person's age onto Bill. He indeed, is a youthful 74 1/2.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 01:11:11 AM »
Joe

It will be interesting to see this years Volunteer Hours when they are totaled.
It is amazing in a normal year the time that is put into the Museum.

This year will be flabbergasting. 

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
Alain;
You and Bill are about the same age and I'm only five years or so younger. We have very active members in their mid to late 70's and even 80's. Bill is correct - age is just a number. I believe the Fountain of Youth is somewhere around Sheepscot which is why I bring water back to my home in Massachusetts!
Dave
Please Dave ,while you are at it, could you ship me a few gallons ? Thanking in anticipation.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
I think one of the reasons for older s members to feel youthful is that while operating a railroad is serious business the museum is the big train we wanted as kids, I know I always wanted one that size, smaller then a standard gauge but big enough to stand up in, the perfect size. Also working with others on something seems to make the work day fly by.

And remember "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional).
Mike  Nix
Mike Nix