Author Topic: November 2018 Work Report  (Read 34183 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: November 2018 Work Report
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:13 AM »
I remember an old picture from the Reading RR.  They had an old tamper that they converted into a propane-fired "flame box " mounted where the vibrator assembly would normally be.  This could still be raised/lowered on the boom like a regular tamper.  It normally was used for weed control on branch lines and yards but was also used in winter to clear crossings.  What a steam cloud it would create but boy could it melt crossings fast!
Moxie Bootlegger

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
#9 can be equiped with a steam nozzle for the flange ways, however it only works when we use #9. We talked about making one that could run off of air as well that could aide in blowing dirt, snow, or chipped ice out of the flange ways.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
This discussion just reminded me of an aircraft jet engine that Contrail Conrail rigged to blast ice and snow from track. I saw it in action one winter during the years (1972-2004) my wife and I lived in Richmond MA in a house about 400-500 feet west of, and about 25 feet higher than, Conrail's Boston MA to Selkirk NY line (ex Boston and Albany). It came through after a particularly bad blizzard, and I heard it approaching from a long way off, thinking,"What in tarnation is that?! Boy, did that thing send snow and ice chunks flying! You didn't want to be anywhere near it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:40:20 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
I don't know about you, but I quickly caught the "double entendre" of Contrail with jet-engine snow blower.  Unintended humor was appreciated......
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2018, 09:20:55 PM »
To add to what Steve Smith said, those "snow jets" were great at launching ballast stones as well as snow and ice.  I heard stories of car and truck windows being damaged in the Hartford CT yard.