Author Topic: Albion Day 2007  (Read 2521 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Albion Day 2007
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Albion Day 2007 has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Stephen Hussar wrote:
Question for Bruce...what's on the agenda for this year's Albion Day? (Saturday November 3rd)

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Steve;
As I understand we will be replacing rotting ties with new ones. No word on whether we will be able to finish the switch. Good thing we're in shape from track laying weekend!
Dave

Bruce Wilson replied:
Steve,

Carl wishes to have us spike his rail to newly placed ties. He said to me during the Summer, that he wanted to remove the existing track, regrade the whole thing (raising it up) and just have us come in to do the spiking.

Bruce

Dana Deering replied:
Is there a plan to meet at Sheepscot and carpool to Albion?  I would like to go.  Also, will the blacksmith shop be open for viewing?

dana

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Dana;
I plan to be at Sheepscot about 7:15 a.m. November 3. I'll be glad to give you a lift to Albion if you need one.
Dave

Bruce Wilson replied:
I spoke with Carl by phone yesterday. He will have the blacksmith shop open for us and is promising a nice meal for all who come to help with relaying the track. He did ask that volunteers bring lining bars and spike mauls. He said he does not need track jacks for the 3rd, as there will not be enough time during that day to level the track. From our conversation, I was unable to determine if he needed spikes or if he was going to try to re-use old spikes. Volunteers should bring spike pullers if it is Carl's wish to have old spikes re-used.

I'm going directly to Albion that morning and will look forward to seeing all who are planning to join in on the fun.

Dana Deering replied:
Bruce, et al,

There is a partial keg of the shorter spikes that we used to use and it is near the new end of track.  We might want to bring those with us.  Also, we need to be careful not to take mauls with broken handles.  I tried to separate out the ones that are broken but we'll have to keep an eye out for more as we take them out of the section house.  More handles were broken this fall during the work weekend than usual for some reason.  I'll plan to be at Sheepscot early on the 3rd.

Dana

Bruce Wilson replied:
Dana,

I think that would be a good idea in bringing the half-pail of spikes.

Bruce

Stewart Rhine replied:
I went to Albion on Tuesday and saw the new blacksmith shop.  What a nice building!  If Vern sees that he may defect!   There were alot of spikes pulled out of the mainline ties.  It looks like Carl has gotten the bad ones ready for extraction.   Wish I could be there to help get the track in shape.  Bruce, is there a chance that the line could be extended South towards (or over) the culvert.

Dana Deering replied:
OK,

If no one has retrieved that partial keg of smaller spikes I will need to get it first thing Saturday so don't leave without me!  We'll need to take tie tongs, too.

Dana

James Patten replied:
Note to all: Albion Day this year has been delayed at Carl's request to the following Saturday, November 10, because of the storm threatened for this weekend.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
James;
i had just checked the US Weather Service at Grey, ME before I logged in here. Good choice to postpone. I don't think I could bear another Maine Monsoon. See everyone next weekend.
Dave

Mike Fox replied:
Here are some shots from Saturday.
First thing we saw when we arrived opened some mouths.

By lunch, we had made it to the switch points.

And at the end of the day, we had the switch reinstalled. Luckily, Carl had numbered everything and, accept for matching joint bars, went together well.

Mike

Dave Buczkowski replied:
We were all a bit surprised at what happened to the track. While we were waiting for ties to be cut up a few of us started measuring, cutting and nailing tung & groove boards for the ceiling in the livingroom/kitchen on the second floor of the station. It went much quicker once Big John dropped of a compressor and nail guns. I'll post some photos on Wednesday once i get back to work and try to remember how to upload them.
Dave

Dave Buczkowski replied:
All;
I found these photos in the archives and thought I would share them. Many of you may not have seen the blacksmith shop yet.
Dave

Wayne Laepple replied:
I'll post some photos on Wednesday once i get back to work and try to remember how to upload them.
Dave

Took you quite a while to remember how to upload photos, didn't it, Dave? You need more Vitamin Y.

Dr. Wayne

Dave Buczkowski replied:
Dr. Wayne;
The photos were on my son's computer. He sent them to me once in a format that didn't work (AOL), then I forgot, then I took the photos of the B&B and was darned if I was going to let him or them get the best of me. Plus he's been staying home the higher he gets in his Senior Class assasin game. He's (Adam) number 2 of 8 remaining out of 250 right now. I'm so proud as a parent..... Gregg was whacked on day two. Oh and Steve H. provided valuable assitance. Maybe I should drink more Vitamin Y as my doctor prescribes!
Dave

Stephen Hussar replied:
Great pictures, Dave...better late than never! Thanks for posting...also for the B&B pics -- lots of good stuff!

Dana Deering replied:
Great photos Dave,

My chin still hurts from dropping to the floor when we drove in and saw the empty grade!

Dana
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum