Author Topic: October 2018 Work reports  (Read 54509 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: October 2018 Work reports
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »
Brians car, should be Brians number, like his street number or year built..

Yes -- it should be Brian's choice.  I will say as brakeman today, the car rides nicely, and I appreciate the car brakes!

The day started out cloudy and gray, but in the afternoon turned sunny, with temps in the mid 60s -- all in all a nice day for mid fall.  We had passengers for all three 1st class train round trips, with the 1.30 train being the busiest.  It was good to see three young families aboard today.

A couple of photos...

As James mentioned, Dan and Alan worked on the shop building crane systems.  Here we see Alan moving a crane rail with the fork lift outside, with Bob Longo assisting.

Looks like Zack had the front porch stairs nearly done on the Percival House in this mid-afternoon photo.  The deck and stairs have come out nicely, thanks to everyone who worked on this project.

What–me worry?

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2018, 11:28:39 PM »
Where is the ramp for us wheelchair bound individuals?

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2018, 11:35:50 PM »
Ken,

Look on the parking lot side of the building......  You can get in there.

~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2018, 06:38:02 AM »
No, blocking 8 and 320 wasn’t planned- I don’t remember blue flagging 56 but maybe I forgot I did?  Maybe Brendan?  Correct course there would have been a limited service bad order.  Sorry.....

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »
There's blue tape or ribbon tied around the north coupler of 56, which we interpreted as a blue flag.  Regardless, I think there would have be reluctance to moving 56 based on her current condition.  Yesterday's train had already been assembled when I was asked to be brakeman.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2018, 08:11:32 AM »
I think that was a blue tie down strap used to hold the coupler up. I noticed it and can see how that was interpreted as a blue flag.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
Over the week, Steve Z,and I took 4 pick-up truck loads of old ties to the dump and on Sat Bill Reidy and Jay Barter help remove 3 more loads. This year more than 225 ties were replaced and we had other stacks of old ties around that we never got to over 4 0r 5 years. Still a lot more to do. Some are still out on the Main line. There is still a small amount of bridge stuff left to be removed.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »
So, how many old ties still have to go to the transfer station?

With Fred hauling the old ties, that keeps the chainsaw quiet. I bet it misses Fred. ::)

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
Right now were cutting up old oak ties, they are so heavy I cut them trice with the chain saw. Steve Z and the others put them in the truck. I have to sharpen both saws a little over each truckload. I'm glad they got me a new sharping machine, it gets them really sharp. The ties are full of tiny rocks and dirt.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
As Mike said, in Portland when we readied these cars to be moved, the strap was used to lift and help secure the coupler.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »
As Mike said, in Portland when we readied these cars to be moved, the strap was used to lift and help secure the coupler.

I can see where the blue "strap" caused confusion, but it was a good move on the Saturday crew's part to treat it as a blue flag.

Jeff S.

A question Steve - Did you draw the short straw in removing the roof of the pavilion?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »
There was nothing blue on the south end of it, but neither Steve nor I really wanted to try to move it to get at other equipment.  Because whereever you put it, you'll have to move it again.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »
There was nothing blue on the south end of it, but neither Steve nor I really wanted to try to move it to get at other equipment.  Because whereever you put it, you'll have to move it again.

Too bad there is not a dedicated RIP track at Sheepscot.

Jeff S.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
We could always add a LH switch off the ramp track and have a RIP siding along the NW side of the car barn.  Pretty much out of public view but still accessible.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2018, 10:52:30 AM »
We could always add a LH switch off the ramp track and have a RIP siding along the NW side of the car barn.  Pretty much out of public view but still accessible.
Already being discussed. My actual idea was brought up between leaders about 5 months ago or more. No time currently to do it. Light weight track for most 4 wheeled carts. It would not be a rip track, but dedicated storage for the 4-wheelers and other light stuff. Eventually covered. Jason has a switch design that would not require a frog.

That is about the only current option we have off the woods track.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...