Author Topic: October 2018 Work reports  (Read 67830 times)

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: October 2018 Work reports
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »
John K.  Ties for bridge were installed on the bridge before it's highway move. Bridge ties were installed on both approach's as they were built.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Dwight,

Have already been on the bridge, knew ties were in place, just poor wording on my part.

Question for all:  Do we have 2 good switches for the 218 run-around already or does the PA contingent need to get to Baltimore to build some more?
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
Hi John. We plan on purchasing one new switch for the run around. The other end is planned to be a small turntable, which we have a ring and bearings for already.

Ties that are arriving will be for the Fall 2019 work weekend.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
On Saturday, Zack worked on the stairs for the new front deck of the Percival House.  Photo from mid-day today (Sunday):

And a Sunday photo of Trout Brook bridge.  The water was up a bit in the brook.

What–me worry?

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
If (or when) the decision is made to push track beyond 218, would the turntable have to be relocated or is there enough land for another track around it?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
The turntable will then have to be removed if we continue North, and installed at a new location.
Mike

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »
Tuesday and Wednesday this week our crew is meeting at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath in order to disassemble a pavilion that they have gifted us, thanks to facilitation by Dave Allan (our bridge contractor).  Meet time is 830; park in their main lot by the road. Please seek me out and check in with me upon arrival.

Pavilion 30x80 wooden structure with metal roof on scissor trusses, slated to become event space at AC.

Thanks,
Jason

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:37:18 PM by Jason M Lamontagne »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2018, 06:01:19 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday October 20:

* Parking lot clean up and arranging.
* Machine shop prep and erection of crane rails.
* Dig to find the septic tank
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:57:11 AM by James Patten »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2018, 07:06:15 AM »
We also need to uncover the lids for the septic tanks so they can be pumped. They are not that far down, and covered in Sand so should be easy digging. Equipment can't be used because the handles could break off.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:09:31 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »
I hope when you find the lids you take a GPS if you have one that will work that close,
but best is take measurements from fixed points and paint then inside the nearest door.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2018, 04:15:25 PM »
I put markers on mine. Nice flat stone works well.
Mike

Richard Cavalloro

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
I'm planning on riding the early train for our anniversary.  Can give you half a day labor if you need another set of hands or 2

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2018, 07:52:27 AM »
John Kokas,

Just getting around to responding to your message asking whether the PA and MD crew need to machine more switch parts in Baltimore...

Wayne and I only machined 33# rail to make frogs and points for the North Yard; the 12-foot lengths of 33# rail were about all we could lift on our own!  Each point had at least 6 steps in the production, and they took us about 5-6 days working 3 hours each day (I would take the afternoon off from my normal job) to create each point.  The frogs were a little easier as only two of the four pieces of rail required machining - and the rail was a lot shorter and easier to maneuver!  Some of those pieces I machined by myself, before the museum instituted a two-man rule when operating the big mill.  Even so, the frogs took 4-5 days to complete.

I don't think I'd want to machine 60# frogs when new ones are available, or additional used frogs might be available from where Wayne purchased others previously.  The 60# rail is taller, wider, and definitely heavier when it comes time to lift it up onto the mill table!  The larger size means it will take additional passes of the mill bit for each machining step.  If I were getting paid my day rate for the hours it takes to make a frog, the cost of a brand-new frog from Alabama would come out cheaper and get delivered quicker!

We still need to machine two more 33# switch points for the switch in to Bay 1; it has stubby, mine-type points, which really jolt you when making the diverging move.  When the points for the North Yard were transported up by Randy Beech, there was a fifth piece of rail which already had the "kink" in it; the kink is the first step in the process of making a point.  Another piece of 33# rail will need to be cut, bent to have a mate to the existing raw stock.

Just food for thought.

Dave Crow

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »
Dave,

With Wayne being down for the time being, I would be willing to come down to help out with the points.  Just PM me with what your plans would be.

JK
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »
John,

Thanks for the offer, but, at this point in time, all the material is at Sheepscot; that piece of rail ready to be made into point #5, is awaiting Alan's handling (or someone else, once the big mill is up and running).

Right now, I am tied up with my day job, pulling 12-16 hour days here at home as well as on the job site at O'Hare Airport.  that was the reason I couldn't make it up for FWW.

Dave Crow