Author Topic: The "Great War" comes to the WW&F  (Read 8374 times)

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
The "Great War" comes to the WW&F
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »
Folks,

Here's an album of images from Saturday Night's photo shoot with the re-enactors of the 103rd Regiment up at Alna Center.   The photos are arranged in a order that follows a sort of story line that I put together, which takes our troops through some training exercises on home turf, a pre-departure meal, and their departure on a southbound extra which will begin their journey to the Port of New York.   

This was my first go at directing one of these events and I'm pretty happy with the results.  Fortunately, the weather cooperated with us during the shoot, with no rain at all during the entire two hours.   The re-enactors did a great job for us, putting on a very nice show.  Hopefully, all who attended enjoyed the experience and left with some nice photos.

Here's the link:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/112261457@N06/albums/72157698517383871

If anyone has the e-mail addresses of any of the re-enactors, please forward them the link.

Thanks!

/Kevin Madore

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: The "Great War" comes to the WW&F
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:36:10 AM »
Hi Kevin! Thank you so much for uploading all those stunning photos. I'm happy that everything even the weather has worked out nicely . That kind of event pays tribute to those  who   came in France from so far away and died to make my country free.

Bernie Perch

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 05:12:01 AM »
Kevin,

I agree with Alain above. 

These re-enactors along with others who attempt to recreate the past (like the WW&F, too) help us to remember what is so easily forgotten.  Since I am a believer in reincarnation.  I believe that these guys' souls have carried this history forward to new bodies so that we can at least be reminded again.  Keep it up.

When I was an engineman on the WK&S I felt very much at home in the cabs of the locomotives.  It was like I was there many times before in previous lives.

Kevin,  (and all who planned, photographed, and participated) this was a fantastic presentation.

Bernie

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:49 AM »
 Same to me ! When I had my hand on the throttle of AMTP old steam locomotives I often thought of all those enginemen that had held it before me. Maybe their ghosts were at my side. I hope my ghost will be at the side of a young engineman but the later the better of course .

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:53:35 AM »
Alain, My grand father was on the gun crew of a 75mm field howitzer. He caught tuberculosis while he was serving and died before I was born. After my parents had passed away we found a box of items grandpa had kept. Among them was a small bent railroad spike like would have been used on the 600mm railroads. Did he bring it home from France? We'll never know but I think he did because there was no mines near where he lived in Oklahoma.
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
Very nicely done, Kevin. How many other photographers were present?

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:00:13 PM »
Very nicely done, Kevin. How many other photographers were present?

Hi Wayne,

Thanks!   Not too many photographers this time.   There were perhaps 4-5 people.   I think the mid-afternoon rain may have chased a few folks away.  Fortunately, it did not rain during our session at Alna Center.   I always bring a rain jacket and I have raincoats for the cameras, so from my perspective, the show goes on unless the conditions get really bad.   Many charters are scheduled months in advance and you never quite know what you'll have for weather.   Just a matter of being prepared.   

Anyone who plans to shoot in anything more than a light shower should bring protection for their camera, even if it is something simple, fashioned from a garbage bag.   Most consumer cameras are not weather-sealed and in a heavy rain, bad things can happen.  Electronics and water don't mix well.   I know a very experienced photographer who gets published all the time who wrecked a Nikon D750 (about $2,000 when it was new), because he got a little carried away chasing N&W 611 in the rain.    Op-Tech makes purpose-built, plastic rain sleeves for DSLRs, and they come two to a pack for less than $10.   They work really well too.  A lot of pros use them.

/Kevin Madore
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:02:46 PM by Kevin Madore »

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
Brilliant photos, Kevin.  I always look forward to your work.  Being on train crew Saturday, I didn't have the opportunity to see most of the scenes provided by the 102nd and 103rd during the day -- though I did see the period ambulance and recognized the Yankee Division logo.

Thanks for sharing -- greatly appreciated!
What–me worry?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
Great photos Kevin! It was nice chatting with you Saturday.
Dave

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 02:02:45 AM »
Alain, My grand father was on the gun crew of a 75mm field howitzer. He caught tuberculosis while he was serving and died before I was born. After my parents had passed away we found a box of items grandpa had kept. Among them was a small bent railroad spike like would have been used on the 600mm railroads. Did he bring it home from France? We'll never know but I think he did because there was no mines near where he lived in Oklahoma.
Mike Nix
Hi Mike ! Sorry you never knew your grandpa. Was it a spike  or a big screw called tirefond that we use out here to fix the rail on the tie . As far I know in France we have never used spikes. But  the  US Army  layed miles of two-foot gauge tracks in France during  WW1 with spikes of course and your grand father's may be one of them.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:17 PM »
I enjoyed reading this Kennebec Journal/Morning Sentinel news article about the 103rd Regiment Living History observance of the centennial of Armistice Day November 11th.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/11/11/augusta-display-ceremonies-mark-centennial-of-armistice-day/

There's a brief mention of our museum in the article.

The recent Annual Picnic events with the 103rd Regiment Living History have been a great addition, and I look forward to future collaboration.
What–me worry?