Author Topic: Fall Work Weekend 2018  (Read 53934 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Work Weekend 2018
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
Very accurate descriptions Bill. Thank you. Wish I could have spent more time up there..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
Mike, you may not have been up there all weekend; but you sure played an important part! Those 48" culverts and that retaining wall are some important elements, that will be in service for years to come! I am glad that there were no injuries, except maybe a few blisters from the spike mauls. Thank you to everybody who worked on the FWW.

i am enjoying every one of the pictures!

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
Thank you so much Bill for that very interesting report that perfectly shows how the gantry system works. No wonder that with such a brillant system and organisation you have achieved what you've planned. I've discovered the WW&F just a year ago and I've been following you  on fb and  on the forum since then . I must say that this first eventful year has been  very exciting and I'm sure that the next few years will be  as much .Although I'm only a far away onlooker  I can really experience the emotions and happiness that the on the spot volunteers feel because you guys know how to share them through  fb , this forum and You tube. Thank you so much and congratulations again for your great sense of communication and for all that you've already completed all along that historic year.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
Pictures going from south to north of the new track.

Starting just about the location track laying started on Friday.

Around the curve.

Approaching the slide area curve.

At the slide.

About where track laying started on Saturday.  The pinch point is in the distance.

From the pinch point.

From about the location of the distant people in the previous photo.  Yes it is very close to the edge.

About the end of track laying on Saturday.  The End Is Near.

The end of track, looking back south.

Hopefully that helps with the scope and view of the work.

There's a lot of very close trees.  They were left in part to provide guidance to the stone trucker so that he wouldn't go off the edge.  We'll cut a few back, but we are limited to only 10 feet either side of the center line.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »
Thanks for that very complete and comprehensive report on the FWW activities, Bill. It's greatly appreciated by those of us who could not participate.

It's also appreciated by those of us who were working down at Sheepscot the entire weekend.

Dispatcher Jeff ::)
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
(and fellow dispatcher, Ed.   ;) )
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
Dispatchers Jeff and Ed kept train operations moving this weekend while ensuring progress was made in a safe, expeditious manner.  I served as dispatcher one work weekend a couple of years ago.  It was a bit frustrating since I couldn't be directly onsite at the rail construction site, but it's an important unsung role.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
I am in the beginning stages of planning at least one tree cutting Saturday before snow flies on the newly tracked section. Possibly renting a wood chipper. And loading the flats with the larger wood. After the snow falls, we will be cutting the trackless section to the bridge. I will try to announce the special fall cutting day as soon as I can plan it.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
I appreciated Jeff's willingness to help dispatch Saturday, while he went solo over the rest of the weekend. I did it by myself all weekend last Fall, and it was great to have someone to help when needed, chaos ensues, etc., and then to chat during the calms between the storms.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:22 PM »
Thanks James for those pics of the final result of an impressive work.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
Perhaps next time someone with a camera is at the north end of track, a photo looking north toward Trout Brook could be taken.

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »
I had the great privilege to run the spiking crew for the FWW and I can't say "thank you" enough to all of you who helped.  I was amazed by the progress we made each day and by the high spirits that everyone showed.  There was a spirit of team work and cooperation that was evident the whole time and I was happy from start to finish.  The best part of it was the fun everyone seemed to be having.  It was great to see all the friends from away and to meet so many new folks and to see so many younger people.  I kept track of the total trackage spiked down each day:

Friday:  525 feet
Saturday:  547 feet
Sunday:  348 feet

Excellent work everyone!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Perhaps next time someone with a camera is at the north end of track, a photo looking north toward Trout Brook could be taken.

There have been a couple of photos posted on Facebook. I hope the photographers don't mind my sharing them here. The one with no one in it was taken by Russ Nelson. The one with Russ Nelson in it (and Dana) was taken by Galo Hernandez.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
Great work over the weekend to all involved!  I noticed in the above photos that the joint bars are staggered, yet it appears to be tangent track.  I thought we had the joint bars across from each other on tangent track to prevent side rocking of the cars?

Thanks from Chicago for another week.

Dave Crow

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
Great work over the weekend to all involved!  I noticed in the above photos that the joint bars are staggered, yet it appears to be tangent track.  I thought we had the joint bars across from each other on tangent track to prevent side rocking of the cars?

Thanks from Chicago for another week.

Dave Crow

That track is just starting to come out of a curve. The joints were staggered on the curve to help alleviate kinking in the curves. I will defer to Joe or another higher up track guy but I would think that the staggering won't be taken out on that straight because there's another curve further down the grade from that spot.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me