Author Topic: Fall Work Weekend 2018  (Read 54331 times)

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Work Weekend 2018
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
Reply to Russ Nelson. Most members meet around 6AM at Ships Chow Hall. There is also Miss Wiscasset  and another restaurant across from Shaw's market. All breakfast eatery's are on Route 1 south of Wiscasset. Ships open  around 5AM

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2018, 05:39:58 AM »
Breakfasts are also being served at the Museum (via Nancy) on Sat/Sun/Mon starting at 7 AM.  One stop shopping!

Marcel Levesque

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2018, 06:10:26 AM »
The third place Dwight mentioned is the Marketplace Restaurant next to the Subway sandwich shop.  That's my haut when I go to the railroad.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
A belated Happy Birthday to Dana. And best wishes to the whole gang this weekend. Like Wayne, I won't be attending but I'll be rooting on all the gang working hard to lay track down the mountain and wishing I could be there to help.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
The first photo of this morning's work has appeared on Facebook. Credit to El Presidente, David Buczkowski.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2018, 11:08:05 AM »
Photobucket appears to be down so for now here is an opposing shot of the one Ed put up. Joe took this.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Wow...track work a go-go!  :P
Looks like they're just passing the private crossing. Those Insta-Track pieces/parts  are working.

I don't understand complaints from you "old heads" that this current tracklaying protocol, adapted to available labor, is simply too "modern" and not faithful to past, total hand and back labor. ??
Again, check the recent post of early 1900s CN? trackwork, doing pretty much the same thing. Also, see the similarity between the posted European machine and WWF's?

I see LOTS of non-automated work  to be done in these current work pics.

I'm glad Trout Brook Bridge piles were driven by machine, heavy timber lifted by crane.

Asking  volunteers, travelling far on their own dime and not used to the drudgery of tracklaying (I've done some) to work healthily with cleverly augmented help, NOT automation, seems THE ideal compromise!

Realistically, WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???
Paul Uhland

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »
Paul,

As I perused the number of posters on this one topic, I made a surprising discovery. All but two of the posters were active (and in some cases EXTREMELY active) volunteers. That simple fact alone (at least to me) would lend their opinions far more weight than those of someone who do not volunteer on site on a regular basis.

At the risk of shattering the Museum's long standing acceptance of any and all opinions, I would humbly suggest that this discussion is toned down a mite.

Steve Zuppa
24 year member
21 year volunteer
15 year board member
9 year President
Current BS Watchdog

[Moderator's note - Post edited slightly.]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:28:23 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
Well I as one who has never laid track and couldn't make it this year because of previous commitments I think the track laying crane is a great idea. I plan to be there next year and see how many spikes I can bend.  :)
Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »
I apologize that I misread some of the preceding posts. If I had been more careful, I would have moderated this topic a bit more closely.

The "modern-day" WW&F has always used historically accurate and safe techniques for all of its tasks, whenever possible. When such techniques are not practical (hand tamping stone ballast) or safe/permitted (lap-seam boilers) modern methods are used. Moreover, as the railroad has grown, we have had to make some adjustments, some due to efficiency, some because we now have resources. These changes are always well-thought out by the folks closest to the situation, and after much debate and information gathering.

The latest example of this is the rail crane. Over time, I can envision other automated machinery, including even a spiking machine.

Meanwhile the fun is in the building. And I am looking forward to being trackside tomorrow.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
Todays spike teams led by Dana did fantastic and kept up pace with the rail crane. Please lets not get carried away with automation. We are very fortunate to have so many eager folks want to pound spikes. If we automate too much we will start to drive away our help, and none of us want to see that happen.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »
Amen Ed and keep on tracking. I was a member of the track crew in Pithiviers for decades. Trackworks are  a tough job when you usually use a pen instead of a lining bar or a tamping tool but how rewarding they are when at the end of the day you turn back and look at what you 've done. I spent quite a lot of good time carrying them out when I was younger.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
I do agree with you Joe. As long as you can, go on with the way you do, it's the genuine one.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
BTW, I see nothing in the crane "technology" that could not have been done in the early 20th century by a creative WW&F engineering department.  Except the chain falls, but Block and Tackle would have worked as well.  So I think the argument is moot...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
How far did track building reach today?  And was there any work done in Sheepscot?  I know at least a couple of Sheepscot projects (parking lot, front deck on the Percival House) had been planned this weekend.

I plan to be at the museum Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks!
What–me worry?