Author Topic: Who is going to Albion Day?  (Read 2115 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Who is going to Albion Day?
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Who is going to Albion Day? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

James Patten wrote:
Please use the poll to indicate roughly how many will be going to Albion on November 4.

James Patten replied:
OK everybody - only 4 people going to Albion Day?

Dave Buczkowski replied:
James;
The poll only allows for an answer from one person. not everyone is aware or on this Discussion Group yet. I will probably have between 2 and 4 people in my truck when I come up.
Dave

James Patten replied:
4 people!  Yeehaa!!

James Patten replied:
One of us needs to remember to bring down a keg of spikes this weekend to take to Albion next weekend.  Carl wasn't able to get spikes in time, so he'll pay for an extra keg for us next year when we order more.

John McNamara replied:
James,
I respectfully suggest that you may mean "one of us needs to remember to enlist the help of a couple other guys to bring down a keg of spikes." Man, those kegs are heavy! 200 pounds?

James Patten replied:
We'll get Steve Zuppa on it.

Steve Zuppa replied:
Coincidently, Steve Hussar and I are planning to attend. Bring on the deer meat Sloppy Joes!

Wayne Laepple replied:
Hmmm. Those two ties in your avatar look suspiciously like standard gauge ones to me, Two Ties....

Steve Zuppa replied:
Oops!

Dave Buczkowski replied:
And make sure to wear florescent orange - it's hunting season!

Bill Reidy replied:
Hmmm. Those two ties in your avatar look suspiciously like standard gauge ones to me, Two Ties....
...and are those TIE PLATES I see?

Wayne Laepple replied:
Busted!
The tie plates were the giveaway. The only tie plates on the WW&F are on Humason Brook trestle.

Steve Zuppa replied:
What tie plates,Wayne? Have you been nippin' at the Narrow Guage Pale Ale?lol And just so you know, that is a two foot guage track. I just removed the near rail for clarity.

gordon cook replied:
Ahem.....
It's GAUGE, not guage.
Next? 

James Patten replied:
Will there be anybody with a pickup meeting me at Sheepscot?  I don't relish the idea of putting dozens of heavy steel objects in the back of my car.

Stephen Hussar replied:
James, "two ties" and I will be coming in my pick-up. What time do you want to meet at Sheepscot?

James Patten replied:
I'd like to leave around 7:30, so that means we need to start loading around 7.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
James,
I should be at Sheepscot by 7:30. Can you wait for me to follow as I'm not 100% sure of the way once I get beyond Whitefield. I'll be leaving Lexington about 4:45 or so and I'll need to make a stop for coffee.
Dave

James Patten replied:
Dave, for you I'll wait until 7:31.

Dave Buczkowski replied:
James;
That should give me a margin of error in case there is a line at the toll booth. Now I think I'll send for my free Steam Locomotive off the bottom of the page. The shipping must be a killer!
Dave

Steve Smith replied:
James, I'm planning to drive to Albion direct from Camden. What time do you expect to arrive at Albion station?
Small Steve

James Patten replied:
I'm hoping to be there by 9 AM.  History tells me we usually leave around 3:30 or so.

Stephen Hussar replied:
James, see you at Sheepscot in the morning.

James Patten replied:
Another year's Albion Day is over.
We finished the track into the siding (at the expense of some joint bars at the south end of the line) and replaced some ties at the switch, some ties at the north end, and a tie or two in between the two areas.  At the end we rolled the flanger onto the siding and left it there.
Bruce Wilson said he's been up a few times this year and cleaned up the south end, which had been overgrown, and did some jacking and shovel tamping at the south end.  It looks really nice.
He was there today bushwhacking the turntable pit and around the railroad.
Carl and Phil want to put up a shelter over the siding for the flanger and locomotive.  I encouraged them to put some ballast on the siding before they did that.  The siding is nice and high so it will be out of the mud.
Fred mentioned today that he thought a mid-Summer Albion Day would be better, because there's more volunteers around.  I'm all for it, as long as we have enough to run trains.

Ira Schreiber replied:
No mention of the flanger possibly migrating south to Sheepscot?
Ira

Bruce Wilson replied:
I'm all in favor of a mid-summer Albion Day.
Regarding the flanger, the Albion Historical Society wishes to use the car to give rides to passengers. I wonder if another open car (former Edaville excursion car) might be negotiated from the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company & Museum for use at Albion. Then perhaps the W.W. & F. Ry. Museum might acquire the flanger for use at Sheepscot...?

Ira Schreiber replied:
What about a seasonal loan. Rides in the winter on the flanger are not to enticing.
What about an arrangement whereby we get the flanger right after Albion Days and return it just before the Spring Track Blitz? We get the utilization over the winter, when we need it, and they get it over the warm months, when they need it.
Win-Win.
Ira

Bruce Wilson replied:
The loan arrangement ideas have been informally discussed, although to the best of my knowledge, just among the volunteers. If an excursion car were available at Maine Narrow Gauge RR Co. & Museum for long term lease to the Albion Historical Society, perhaps the Board members of the three groups (W.W. & F. Ry. Museum, MNG and AHS) could begin some exploratory discussions.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum