Author Topic: July 2018 Work Planning  (Read 35716 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: July 2018 Work Planning
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
Joe...noticed the property was getting a bit raggedy-looking, like my place now that our NM summer monsoon finally started.

GOATS...are the answer, like ng 'roads in Switzerland use, per vids I've seen.  ;)
Seriously.

Howzabout discount rides to neighboring farm fams willing to rent their grass chompers to WW&F?
Good PR.

Using neighbor draft horses Bill and Bob to do commemorative track work recently was a genius idea.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:54:01 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
Everyones efforts have been focused on priority projects, and if I am there on non operating days I focus on track work when availability allows. So much to do, so little time. With so many projects going on right now 3-4 extra set of hands on weekends would be great. I am going to do some brainstorming in the off season on ways to attract more help. We currently have about half a mile of a mile of track brush cut. Sheepscot to the first crossing, and Humason to half way to Alna Center. I want to finish off around the station area, and then do along side the west side of the track from Brook crossing to Sutters. It is extremely hard to devote 2 days a week right now but I am making time as work allows because so much needs to be done.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2018, 10:05:07 PM »
I am totally in favor of finding a way to handle keeping the right of way 'mowed' that uses less volunteer resources. I think the goat idea could actually be an idea that would gain some traction if paired with the right farmer. Goats could be contained using solar powered electric livestock fencing. They could move up and down the right of way during the week and be moved to a suitable pasture during the weekend. Work trains would need to proceed through fenced areas at restricted speed or something.

I think folks would be surprised how quickly 5-10 goats would do this work. I think the main concern would be to ensure they don't overgraze and eat too much.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2018, 04:09:36 AM »
Not so sure goats will eat trees, choke vines, thorn bushes, and the thick golden rod stuff.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
Yep. They'e nuts. They eat it all. Even Poison Ivy. One thing they can't eat that we have a lot of is Bracken Fern, but if we go in and cut the fern, we should be ok.

https://www.grit.com/animals/goats/raising-goats-zm0z14jazreg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2kL3p5AyUk

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Do goats eat telephone wire?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
Tastes like chicken John

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
Yes! They would chew on the wire. When I was young, yes they had electricity, only our electric fence had a battery pack, Everything stayed inside but the goats. We even hook an extra coil to it and that didn't help.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »
Only got One load of wood out today. I'm not going to take and more beyond the pinch point unless your there Mike.  Will get more neat the EOT.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »
Yes! They would chew on the wire. When I was young, yes they had electricity, only our electric fence had a battery pack, Everything stayed inside but the goats. We even hook an extra coil to it and that didn't help.

Young boys and electric fence wire do not mix, especially with an extra coil and extra voltage, it makes the arc discharge louder.
Lots of "double dog dares" can lead to trouble... ;D

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »

Young boys and electric fence wire do not mix, especially with an extra coil and extra voltage, it makes the arc discharge louder.
Lots of "double dog dares" can lead to trouble... ;D

Talking of the phone wire that runs along the ground. We have had trouble in the past with other vegetative control devices being rather harsh on said wire..

I am working on an attachment to put on the bucket of the Kubota to get the wire below ground. Well, I say working on it when I have nothing more than material gathered and an idea..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
I'm not going to take and more beyond the pinch point

You will have time to rest up Fred. Nothing will be going north of the pinch point after Saturday until the wall is done, then you can have a nice wide area to drive on. Should take about 4 weeks or less.. I will need an extta hand starting the 11th of August setting blocks if all goes well this weekend.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Looking for 2' NG knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2018, 01:00:29 AM »
There are 2 or 3 Goat Farms that rent goats in the Twin City (MN) area
to clear hill sides and rough areas. You might want to make an internet search
for some such in Maine.

The Woodstock Cornet Band (CT) has had a Model A truck for as far back as I can remember.(Before 1950)
It was used long before that. The cab is cut off and the platform on back has wings that triple the deck area.

The truck is driven to the different venue (Church lawn, different town commons, etc) and set up.
"a good time is had by all."

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
Our brother, Dr. Manger, and his wife  Carol an RN, run a small farm, about 30 acres,  in Western Maryland with horses, chickens, goats, llamas, and sheep.  Carol brought in goats to "groom" the pastures of unwanted vegetation and found they did not like thistles and other thorny weeds.  She then brought in sheep and they ate everything, even under the electric fencing before being shorn!
The llamas were brought in to take care of eastern coyotes that threatened the chicks, goats and sheep.  They were good at the job.