Author Topic: WW&F Launches its first Summer Concert Series  (Read 14739 times)

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F Launches its first Summer Concert Series
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
Here's a little bit more about the concert and a description of the feel that the venue provided. Mark Horn, who joined Chris and Liz Lannon on banjo and washboard last night described the venue as feeling kind of "like a medicine show".

The venue felt just right for old-time music and the sound of the band carried all the way to route 218 across Tom Albee's fields. Dave B. lent us a super quiet Honda generator which couldn't even be heard from the concert tent.

Joe makes a great point that we need to get the word out- more. Despite over 150 posters up in the Brunswick to Damariscotta Rte. 1 corridor and more around Warren, Thomaston, Rockland, there is a need to get the word out even more. Tell your neighbors, tell your friends. If they've never been to the Railway because a train ride isn't there thing- remember that this isn't just a train ride.

My thought is that people will come for the concert and be so surprised and enchanted by the railway that they will want to learn more about it. I tried to do that last night in little pieces- some history in the introduction- at the intermisson (and questions) and at the end. This way, we got to carry a bit of the education into the concert itself.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 04:12:55 AM »
We had a few riders who came for the concert and rode Sunday as well. I didn't get a chance to really talk to them, so that theory is indeed correct.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 05:10:13 AM »
At the concert, I took a quick poll to see who had visited us previously. The vast majority had not. So this was certainly a good way to make new friends and followers.

Could we put out a small washboard sign the week of the concert at the intersection of Cross/218 with something simple like CONCERT SAT. 5PM ? While a sign on rte 1 would be ideal, even increasing our exposure within Alna would be helpful in promoting special events.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
At the concert, I took a quick poll to see who had visited us previously. The vast majority had not. So this was certainly a good way to make new friends and followers.

Could we put out a small washboard sign the week of the concert at the intersection of Cross/218 with something simple like CONCERT SAT. 5PM ? While a sign on rte 1 would be ideal, even increasing our exposure within Alna would be helpful in promoting special events.

How about four small 4'x8' trailer frames with 3 leveling jacks and ballast so it does not blow over.

Then any small car with a hitch can recover them. Negotiate with business to place the trailer on their property just before the event and removed rapidly afterwards.

Bill of materials:

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 06:14:53 AM »
Here's a little bit more about the concert and a description of the feel that the venue provided. Mark Horn, who joined Chris and Liz Lannon on banjo and washboard last night described the venue as feeling kind of "like a medicine show".

The venue felt just right for old-time music and the sound of the band carried all the way to route 218 across Tom Albee's fields. Dave B. lent us a super quiet Honda generator which couldn't even be heard from the concert tent.

Joe makes a great point that we need to get the word out- more. Despite over 150 posters up in the Brunswick to Damariscotta Rte. 1 corridor and more around Warren, Thomaston, Rockland, there is a need to get the word out even more. Tell your neighbors, tell your friends. If they've never been to the Railway because a train ride isn't there thing- remember that this isn't just a train ride.

My thought is that people will come for the concert and be so surprised and enchanted by the railway that they will want to learn more about it. I tried to do that last night in little pieces- some history in the introduction- at the intermisson (and questions) and at the end. This way, we got to carry a bit of the education into the concert itself.

The traveling minstrel show....

We need the "Ballad of the Two Foot Railway" written and put to music. It tells the tale of the railway in song, interspersed between verses with narrative.
Something musically simple by memorable along the lines of Ken Burns did with "Ashokan Farewell" https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/09/ashokan-farewell-how-a-20th-century-melody-became-an-anthem-for-the-19th/407263/

Posters need to go at local stores. Anyplace where people stop and congregate. How about mentions in church bulletins two weeks before the event.
The advertising trailer signs need to be rotated between locations prior to the event.The day of the event use them to direct and draw people into the venue. Temporary so they don't irk the powers that be.

Remember, most people do NOT make up their mind until near the last minute. We need to advertise to both the "long term planner" and to the "spur of the moment" folks!

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 06:23:17 AM »
There is already a song called "The Sheepscot Narrow Gauge"

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 06:36:12 AM »
From Alna's building code ordinance:

"D. Permanent signs shall conform to the following criteria:
1. Directional signs shall be limited to three square feet and shall not exceed six
in number.
2. Freestanding signs relating to goods and/or services sold on the premises
shall not exceed twelve square feet in area, per sign, and shall be limited to
two signs, which may be two-sided.
3. Temporary signs (garage sales, etc.) shall be permitted for seventy-two hours
only.
4. All existing signs are grandfathered, as long as they conform to State Law."

James and I were talking about signs this weekend. If we could locate a sign at the intersection of Cross Road and 218, it would free up two OBDS signs. At 4'x3' or so we could include a letterboard that lets us post upcoming events (or maybe we could do a separate letterboard.

Another sign could be added at the entrance to our parking lot. It has always bothered me that we don't have one- when the rep came to visit from the Maine Tourism Association came to visit she called from the driveway in front of the house because she didn't know where to go. As the official 'entrance' to the Museum, this should have an eye catching and attractive sign to welcome visitors.

Joe- I've seen the song in the archives- we have the lyrics, but I don't think there was a melody specified.

Stephen Lennox

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 07:32:19 AM »
The WW&F Two Footer and  Farewell  (Thurlow), page 9-10-11,  "The Sheepscot Narrow Gauge" by F.A. Naray

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
The WW&F Two Footer and  Farewell  (Thurlow), page 9-10-11,  "The Sheepscot Narrow Gauge" by F.A. Naray

Anyone can get me a copy of the sheet music? Not all of us have a fully-stocked library on hand ....

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
No sheet music that I know of, however there was a group known as The Narrow Gauge band that used to play that song at the WW&F.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
[topic drift; I feel a split coming soon]

My understanding is that the lyrics to "The Sheepscot Narrow Gauge" were written to be sung to a popular folk melody of the time. Bud Caswell? who sings at some of our events had a thought as to what the melody may have been, but wasn't sure, because the chorus didn't quite line up right.

If we could confirm the melody, I could EASILY produce a modern-day sheet music edition.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »
[topic drift; I feel a split coming soon]

Just to get it back on topic and the original point....

So the thought is to tell the history of the railroad through song and narrative as one of the warm-up acts. I've seen this pulled off elsewhere and it can be real cool. Prairie Home Companion used to do something similarly with a skit or two.

Intersperse lyric-relevant, but short historical narration (call it an aside with the melody playing in the background) between the verses of the song, but it would depend on the content and construction of the lyrics to see if it could be pulled off.

Would best need three people; musician, lyric singer and narrator, but it could be done by one person depending on the instrument used. Hard to sing lyrics when you are playing woodwinds or brass.

I'd be interest in the lyrics and the melody. Pull it off the right way and it could be the museum anthem.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Article in the Boothbay Register ...

Summer concert series begins July 28 at WW&F
https://www.boothbayregister.com/article/summer-concert-series-begins-july-28-wwf/105053

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:30 PM »
Here are the lyrics for "The Sheepscot Narrow Gauge" written by P. Naray

Now if you'll kindly listen,
 I will sing a little song.
It's something new and something true,
and will not detain you long.
It's the latest song, that's out,
 and it is all the rage;
 It's all about the "
"Sheepscot Narrow Gauge"
CHORUS
Hurah. Hurah.
 O, don't you think it's grand.
To hear the little narrow gauge.
 Go grumbling through the land.

Repeat

There's Libby, Fogg, and Crosby,
Those men have got the sand.
I wish the Lord would scatter more
Such fellows through the land.
For we stockholders love then
As we do the  "gentle sex"
For they are going to build a railroad
From Wiscasset to Quebec

Chorus

Old people they will clap their hands
To see the train go by,
And little kids thats teething,
Why they'll forget to cry;
But where it cuts the farm in two
That man will be in rage.
But just the same we're going to have
That Sheepscot Narrow Gauge

Chorus

Some farmers they are kicking now
Because it crosses their farm
But they are going to get their pay
It will not do them harm.
Maine Central folks are kicking, too;
Why now they're in a rage.
It's just because they can't control
The Sheepscot Narrow Gauge.

Chorus

Most people think the narrow gauge
is going to be immense,
But there's a few that voted "No"
That's "kinder on the fence"
We'll grade right up the valleys
And "bust" right through the ledge.
We'll blow things to the Devil,
But we'll have that narrow gauge.

Chorus

All farm produce will take a rise
When that road is complete,
And early rose potatoes they
Will grow as big's your feet.
We'll ship them to Wiscasset,
To C.R. Gates and Page.
At night they'll bring the money back
Upon the Narrow Gauge.

Chorus

We'll have our mail three times a day
Instead of e every night.
And when we get that Narrow Gauge
We're going to have things right
We'll travel o'er this country
No more, by gosh, by stage,
But take a dandy palace car
Upon the Narrow Gauge.

Chorus

We'll telegraph around the world
And have electric lights.
And promenade on Main Street
'Till twelve o'clock at night
We will not mind policemen
Unless they get in rage,
Then we'll skip for Coopers Mills
Upon the Narrow Gauge.

Chorus

We'll take our best girl by the arm
And lead her to the station
It's there we'll wait for the Narrow Gauge
With hearts all palpitation
We'll buy our tickets, pay the cash,
And then we'll board the train
And perhaps we will be married
'Fore we e'er come back again

Chorus

(Theres many more lines, I will update later.)

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 06:35:40 AM »
Awesome on the lyrics!

Let me see if I can pull something off like the Bridge Story.