Author Topic: June 2018 Work Planning  (Read 28851 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: June 2018 Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 05:48:01 PM »
I bet tons of volunteers show up in their bridge-painting duds.  :D
Paul Uhland

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »
Where will the BBQ grill go?  We can't NOT have a cookout at the house!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of June 16-17:

* Saturday is Alna Day.  Lots of events going on around the railroad, I'm not even sure what's happening where.  Attractions at every station.  We may even be running a tighter schedule, not sure.  So we'll need crowd and parking control as well as railroad crew.
* Sunday is Father's Day
* Mountain Extension work

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
Grass cutting was done today in preparation for this weekends Alna Day celebration as well as the start of our busy season.

Leon cut grass at Alna Center while I cut grass around Sheepscott. After lunch Steve L, Mark, and myself went to ToM to do some cutting in the field. We cut until the string trimmer ran out of string and the three of us got tired. We got roughly 3/4's of the field done. It looks nice, but more cutting would be better.

With all the grass cutting done today, track work was set back a week. And with grass cutting in mind, I found some rail (not the original rails) that we cut that should be relocated or stacked together. -Added to the continuously growing list of track items.

-Speaking of grass cutting, our cutters and ROW Mow departments would love to see the remaining rotten ties picked up and any junk ones disposed of.

Back at the shop guys worked on various projects including the milling machines, tamper, inspecting and making some adjustments on cars and engines as needed, and Fred was doing stuff with some firewood.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:44:56 PM by Joe Fox »

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
Would a zero turn cutter be of use?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »
Or maybe some sort of walk-behind brush cutter or bush hog?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
Saturday June 16: Alna Day

The first ever Alna Day was held today and seemed to be a great success.  A half dozen local vendors set up in our car shop, with music in the afternoon.  The Alna VFD, Lincoln County Sheriff, and State Police Incident Command Center were all there with displays.  There were games at Alna Center until 2:00, when the local Masons group took over for their secret ceremonies.  There was a nature hunt at Top of Mountain.  There were "over 100" visitors. 

Meanwhile Mike worked all by himself at 218.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
Nobody visited Mike? Not even Fred?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
I guess Fred did visit because he mentioned going up to visit Mike, but I don't believe anyone was stationed with him.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
I had several visitors. Fred and Zack were there early. Leon stopped by. Then Fred again. Then contractor Jeff. And finally Dave B stopped by to give me his presidential approval. Bugs never left..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
When I saw Mike’s truck still at 218 after 5 I was a tad concerned so I dropped in. Turns out he was just taking advantage of the time and a half he gets when he puts in OT. Let’s, time and a half times the usual WW&F rate is... Seriously, Mike put in one heck of a day. He signed in at 6:30 a.m. Not sure when he actually finished.
On another front, there were many smiling faces today and first timer Alna residents as well. Steve P is due much praise for his efforts. Annie deserves our gratitude for not physically harming us for taking Steve from his very new newborn. Since Steve has already modestly minimized his efforts I will also thank all those who contributed to today’s success on behalf of Steve.
I have already received a cc of an email from one of the selectmen to Steve praising his and our efforts. I continue to be proud to be associated with the WW&F volunteers and family!
Dave

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
I had several visitors. Fred and Zack were there early. Leon stopped by. Then Fred again. Then contractor Jeff. And finally Dave B stopped by to give me his presidential approval. Bugs never left..

Those bugs are a dedicated bunch.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 08:25:52 AM »
Hey everyone, happy fathers day to all the dads out there. This Saturday 6/23 I hope to organize a small track crew and do some track work.

Saturday morning I want to ballast the last little bit of track on the north end of Davis grade, and if there is stone left over I have a few other areas to hit as well. Tenative departure time of around 8a.m.

During train time I hope to get a few guys on some brush cutters and do some brush cutting on Davis grade to ease surface sighting.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:12:16 AM by Joe Fox »

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 08:34:01 AM »
And a happy Father's Day to you, Joe.

I expect to be at the Museum next Saturday, so I can be available for ballast crew and later brush cutting.
What–me worry?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
[Moderator's Note]
A detailed discussion regarding Alna Day 2018 has been moved to the Alna Day topic in the "Work and Events" section.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum